Remove Advertisements

Prot warrior raid stat priority

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Prot warrior raid stat priority

Postby Worldie » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:03 am

So my main alt is a Protection Warrior
( http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/D ... 9/advanced )

I have mostly tanked just 5 men and LFR, but since now I finally got accepted in our alt run and have tanked a bit of ToT, I would like to optimize my gear a bit.

My main concern is hit/expertise: right now i'm gemming stamina and reforging to hit hit cap and hard expertise cap (though extremely far from the second)

Second concern would be the Shield Barrier vs Shield Block dilemma: right now I'm using Barrier preemptively against predictable phisical spikes or against magic and reactively as minor cooldown if I for some reason drop low, while instead using Shield Block against "standard melee damage" and blockable phisical spikes. Is this the right way to use them?
(curiosity on this subject, is Tortos chew blockable?)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Re: Prot warrior raid stat priority

Postby Bellanka » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:29 pm

Worldie wrote:So my main alt is a Protection Warrior
( http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/D ... 9/advanced )

I have mostly tanked just 5 men and LFR, but since now I finally got accepted in our alt run and have tanked a bit of ToT, I would like to optimize my gear a bit.

My main concern is hit/expertise: right now i'm gemming stamina and reforging to hit hit cap and hard expertise cap (though extremely far from the second)

Second concern would be the Shield Barrier vs Shield Block dilemma: right now I'm using Barrier preemptively against predictable phisical spikes or against magic and reactively as minor cooldown if I for some reason drop low, while instead using Shield Block against "standard melee damage" and blockable phisical spikes. Is this the right way to use them?
(curiosity on this subject, is Tortos chew blockable?)

I didn't see a question for the first one, but I'm assuming you meant to ask what you should go for after Hit/Exp?

If so, then your answer is Mastery and Stamina.

Barrier-vs-Block seems simple enough at first: Block for Physical Damage, Barrier for Magic Damage; but if you have a Vengeance monitoring add-on you'll find there's a point where your rage is better spend on barrier over Block. (H-Wind Lord is one of the best examples of this.) Personally, I like to bank rage for the big spikes you KNOW are incoming and use Block with a 20+Rage Barrier as well if I know I'll get chunked low even through one or the other.

Snapping Bite is indeed Blockable.
Evangelyna
Raid Leader/Main Tank
SWARM, Alterac Mountains
Bellanka
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:35 pm

Well my Shield block didnt seemb to block it.

And I'm mainly asking if I should aim for caps or just stack stam/mastery. I'm at hit cap but below exp hard cap, I'm debating if I should gem expertise or stamina.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Bellanka » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:45 pm

Worldie wrote:Well my Shield block didnt seemb to block it.

And I'm mainly asking if I should aim for caps or just stack stam/mastery.

Definitely aim for caps. A miss/parry/dodge is missed rage, and with the high cost of use on Block you don't want to be sitting at 55 rage with a heavy hit about to land. Any extra rage you get can always be put into more Barriers for even more mitigation if you find yourself swimming in it, or more Heroic Strikes/Cleaves for DPS/Threat or, my personal favorite, a lifesaving heal from Last Stand-and/or-Rallying Cry+Enraged Regen.
Evangelyna
Raid Leader/Main Tank
SWARM, Alterac Mountains
Bellanka
Maintankadonor

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes