Remove Advertisements

[PVP Warlock] Questions about Spec / Rotation?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[PVP Warlock] Questions about Spec / Rotation?

Postby Shyrtandros » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:58 am

I have a VERY FRESH level 85 warlock who I want to get into PVP / BG's with and I'm not sure the best route to go.

Currently undergeared, a few hundred resilence at best.. mostly quest gear and so on.

I'm currently Affliction spec, but I really don't know what priority / spells to use.

I've been going with CoA > UA > Corr > Haunt > Immolate, using SB or drain life as my filler for over 25% health or using drain soul for under 25% health.

Any tips / recomendations on what spec / rotation to use for PVP?
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Re: [PVP Warlock] Questions about Spec / Rotation?

Postby Cogglamp » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:25 am

I dabble with my lock and I really like Affliction the best.

I find keeping Haunt on cooldown to be quite effective since it's a small heal and buffs your DoTs. I also like to put UA up first. It's basically dispel coverage. If you don't, you won't add much pressure since you'll get your spells spam dispelled. Fearing right after UA is placed can sometimes make the dispeller become locked out since they might overreact from the Fear and mistakenly dispel the UA.

Keep your DoTs up on multiple people. I find that to be the best way to add more value. You may lack the nuke capabilities of a mage but you're putting pressure on in different ways.
Cogglamp

Postby Shyrtandros » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:59 am

It's taking some getting used to but, I'm trying to remember to use (glyphed) soulswap to keep more dots out on people..

I have a difficult time with maintaining all the dots without some dropping or incorrect refreshes while trying to micromanage pvp...

UA, CoA, Cor, Haunt, Immo, possibly fear or shadow flame... alot of dots / debuffs to keep up with :|
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Cogglamp » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:12 am

Aff PvP is definitely a little more difficult no doubt. Keep at it and you'll start to develop the timers/debuffs/DoTs in your head and just know when to switch.

Remember to use your Deathcoil and Demonic Circle. Figuring out when to use them as offensive spells v. defensive spells is just as important. Demon Soul when you need the pressure going in for a kill.

Battlemaster Trinket + Healthsone is a nice way to stave off death.
Cogglamp

Postby Kelaan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:08 pm

One of the best uses of the circle I found was when I (stupidly) followed a warlock off of the ledge in the Sewers map, and then he ported up to the top where I couldn't touch him. Brilliant. I now know to look for it, but that sort of thing is still clever.
Kelaan

Postby Shyrtandros » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:04 pm

Kelaan wrote:One of the best uses of the circle I found was when I (stupidly) followed a warlock off of the ledge in the Sewers map, and then he ported up to the top where I couldn't touch him. Brilliant. I now know to look for it, but that sort of thing is still clever.

I ran afflic lock & Destro lock 2v2 for fun the other night, we won every match on blades edge map due to being able to portal up onto the pillars and then running anywhere from melee.
Shyrtandros

Postby Cogglamp » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:21 am

Congrats! I can hear the cries of rogues and arms warriors everywhere already.

How's the DoT management coming along?
Cogglamp

Postby Shyrtandros » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:26 am

Cogglamp wrote:Congrats! I can hear the cries of rogues and arms warriors everywhere already.

How's the DoT management coming along?

Still a little shakey..

I have played warlock pvp / raiding since BC but I've spent the last 6 months EXCLUSIVELY playing an arms warrior.. 1 dot required so.. completely different mental switch to go from 1 to the other.
Shyrtandros

Postby Cogglamp » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:47 am

Very true. Add in the fact that arms warriors are great at "nuking" targets, Aff PvP can sure feel different.

All in all, knowing what other classes excel at/struggle at will only make you better off in the long run. Keep at it!
Cogglamp

Postby Shyrtandros » Mon May 16, 2011 10:52 am

For Affliction warlock should we use the "on-use" or the "reaction / trigger" pvp trinket?
Shyrtandros

Postby Cogglamp » Mon May 16, 2011 1:54 pm

I personally prefer the "on use" trinket. While it's another thing to track, I know that I can line it up with some DoTs and/or hard casts if I need to add some pressure right away.
Cogglamp

Postby Shyrtandros » Thu May 19, 2011 6:36 am

I got the on use and just macrod it to Demon Soul since they're on the same CD.
Shyrtandros

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes