Remove Advertisements

[Druid] Boomkin rotation

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Druid] Boomkin rotation

Postby sherck » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:43 am

My lazer chicken is at 85 and at 335 gearing. I am trying to get him raid viable for nights where we might have a surplus of healers (rare but it has happened) and need another ranged DPS.

Currently, on training dummies, my single-target DPS priority consists of:

-- Cast Treants if off CD

-- Apply 2x DoTs (Moonfire/Sunfire and Insect Swarm) if they are not up/have fallen off the target

-- Cast Starsurge if off CD

-- Cast default spell [Starfire or Wrath] until Starsurge comes off CD, I get a Starsurge proc or I need to reapply the DoTs

-- Switch my default spell when the appropriate empowered state is reached.

Am I missing anything or am I doing it wrong?

Question: For the initial "power up" of the Balance of Power scale (when starting at zero in the middle), does it matter if you use Wrath or Starfire to get to that initial empowered state first? I seem to want to start with Starfire (and this powers it to the Arcane side which is backwards. Does it always go Arcane first?) but I don't know if that is correct or not.

Question: If you have some DPS improving CDs (Herbalist haste, SP increasing trinket), does it matter if you pop them when you are in an empowered state or if you are in the non-empowered state heading towards the opposite end?

Thanks for any input you might have to my first ever max level DPS spec.

Cheers,
sherck

Re: [Druid] Boomkin rotation

Postby Hokahey » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:26 am

sherck wrote:My lazer chicken is at 85 and at 335 gearing. I am trying to get him raid viable for nights where we might have a surplus of healers (rare but it has happened) and need another ranged DPS.

Currently, on training dummies, my single-target DPS priority consists of:
[snip]
Am I missing anything or am I doing it wrong?

Only thing I would add is possibly Starfall when appropriate. Last I understood, best practice is to wait until Lunar Eclipse for the bonus to arcane damage. In many places, its inappropriate to use, but where it can be used, its worth it.

sherck wrote:Question: For the initial "power up" of the Balance of Power scale (when starting at zero in the middle), does it matter if you use Wrath or Starfire to get to that initial empowered state first? I seem to want to start with Starfire (and this powers it to the Arcane side which is backwards. Does it always go Arcane first?) but I don't know if that is correct or not.

It depends. I've noticed some weird behavior. If you just changed specs into Balance, it will be at a "true neutral" state. The first cast determines which way it swings. Advice I have read suggests casting Wrath to progress toward a Lunar Eclipse first.

sherck wrote:Question: If you have some DPS improving CDs (Herbalist haste, SP increasing trinket), does it matter if you pop them when you are in an empowered state or if you are in the non-empowered state heading towards the opposite end?

Thanks for any input you might have to my first ever max level DPS spec.

Cheers,[/quote]

It *does* matter for spellpower, but Eclipse does not matter as much for Haste. You will *ideally* want to engage those on demand Spellpower effects during (or right before) an Eclipse. You will want to use Haste right before casting/refreshing Moonfire and Insect Swarm (always in that order). The reason is the buff from Eclipse is not on a timer, your time in Eclipse is based on how many times you cast Starfire/Wrath and Starsurge. You can stay in Eclipse for hours if you want, as long as you don't cast baseline Starfire/Wrath or Starsurge.

Basically, you have 100 points of Eclipse buff when it procs. Under Lunar Eclipse, each Starfire is 20 points. Under Solar Eclipse, each Wrath is 13 points. Starsurge is 15 for either. Your buff ends when you've spent all 100 points, and the new buff begins when you have spent another 100 points. Any excess points used coming out of an Eclipse count towards moving to the next Eclipse, i.e. having 10 points remaining before Eclipse expires, and you cast Starsurge. You would then have 95 points until the next Eclipse. Once an Eclipse procs, you always start of at 100 points again.

Haste increases your overall damage, but it doesn't increase your damage under Eclipse, because Eclipse will only allow you to cast a finite number of your baseline spells before it expires.

However, Moonfire and Insect Swarm scale with Haste, as most DoTs do currently, by increasing the number of damage tics per cast. So pop your Haste cooldown, then cast DoTs. The reason you always cast Moonfire before Insect Swarm is that the DoT from Insect Swarm scales better than the Moonfire DoT, so you will see better damage from Nature's Grace proccing off the cast of Moonfire and being applied to Insect Swarm, than vice versa. Additional tics of MF and IS mean more chances to proc Shooting Stars, meaning more oppurtunities for resetting the cooldown on Starsurge and making it instant cast.
Hokahey

Re: [Druid] Boomkin rotation

Postby sherck » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:59 am

Outstanding advice. Thank you very much, Hokahey.

I felt that Haste would not have much effect on my Wrath/Starfire/Starsurge DPS since, as you said, their buff is due to point mechanics and not how fast you cast them. I had not considered the HoT issue (and I assume my Treants attack faster when hasted?) so will watch for that.

Yeah, I had not been using Starfall just because I did not want to hit the surrounding target dummies and artificially increase my DPS which practicing. I will keep it in mind for when I starting DPSing in Heroics. Do I have to wait until patch 4.1 for it to not hit mobs that we are not engaged with yet?

Cheers,
sherck

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes