Remove Advertisements

[Druid] Bear Discussion

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Druid] Bear Discussion

Postby bldavis » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:23 pm

This is being brought over from the 85 tank comparison thread
we can talk about bear mechanics and gearing here, that way the original thread can be used to discuss all the tanking classes/specs

EDIT: The Inconspicuous Bear - MTadin for ferals

to go off what arcand said, i found that yes aoe sucks on my bear
but if i dont do a pull right on my warrior (very close in gearing) aoe sucks on her too

for aoe pulls, esp major ones, i will charge, berserk, thrash, mangle-tab, swipe, mangle-tab, .......
keeping thrash on cd, but still mangle-tabbing and keeping maul used as much as possible

but then again, aoe has always been a bitch for bears
we excel at single target

edit: oops knew i was forgetting something
my rotation is mostly muscle memory now so i dont even realize what buttons im hitting sometimes :oops:
Last edited by bldavis on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Re: [Druid] Bear Discussion

Postby Levantine » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:59 pm

No Swipe? I'm keenly aware that many of the pulls you're talking about last longer than the duration of Berserk, so it's not like you can just Mangle your way to victory. I'm bad at bear though, so I dunno.
Levantine

Postby Koatanga » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:19 pm

I'm having some big problems with AoE threat on my bear, too. Marking doesn't even help in PuGs - they figure the icons are there for decoration.

I'm sporting a 336 gear rating in baby norms (running with my wife's 83 mage so we get Throne, Vortex, and Blackrock) with 81s through 83s, and I can't hold against AoE spells unless they hold off for a while.

Yes, I know they are supposed to, but we all know they don't. I had a hunter and rogue both pull aggro when I was pulling a boss to me instead of charging at it, because I wanted to position the Nasty Circles he creates. Two classes with misdirects almost died by pulling aggro on the pull. Pro players.

So let's just forget what people are supposed to do, and come up with ways to handle what they really do. Thrash with mangle-tab takes way too long to set up before AoEs commence. Thrash-Swipe then mangle tab is still too weak to hold in the opening seconds.

For you successful bears out there, what is your pull sequence for a group of 4-5 mobs assuming little to no reliable CC avaialable (as in your hunter uses Ice Trap to CC his target instead of Freezing Trap)?
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby bldavis » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:39 pm

see my first post in this thread for my mass aoe pulls, but you have to remember that bear threat is tied directly to our weapon
if you look at my armory for catagon, you will notice he has the heroic polearm from VP

when i got that, my threat issues dropped alot, and if someone does pull one off me, esp single target, then they should have the gear to handle tanking himn for a sec

tl;dr threat low? get a better weapon

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Kelaan » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:12 pm

Koatanga wrote:Two classes with misdirects almost died by pulling aggro on the pull. Pro players. Let's just forget what people are supposed to do, and come up with ways to handle what they really do.

Unless it leads to wipes, talk it over with your healer and consider letting them use the threat wipe that Fury warriors and Enhancement shamans depend on. :-) (i.e., death) Mark a skull, tell them to kill that before they AOE, and if they decide to do otherwise, well ... they clearly are aware of the consequences.

Also, using CC means you have fewer adds to control, and AOE is less tempting.
Kelaan

Postby bldavis » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:18 pm

Kelaan wrote:
Also, using CC means you have fewer adds to control, and AOE is less tempting.

this is the main reason to cc when you are playing a bear

fewer adds to try to control = fewer targets for your dps to nuke = less mobs being pulled off of you due to abysmal aoe = less headaches for you and your healer

bldavis

Postby Kelaan » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:10 am

Fewer targets also makes it harder for DPS to choose the wrong one. /wishfulthinking
Kelaan

Postby thatguy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:59 am

Kelaan wrote:Fewer targets also makes it harder for DPS to choose the wrong one. /wishfulthinking

That's odd because the dps I know think the opposite.

The transformation of a trash mob to Frog form via Hex makes it the most dangerous creature in all of Wow. All dps must switch to the frog immediately and nuke it down before tribal Amazon indians skewer the frog, put it over a fire and then dip their arrows into the Frog's juices to make poison arrows which they will then use them on the 5 man heroic party.

Frog>>>>>>>>>>skull on all levels.

Trust me on this one. Just trust me. My shaman speaks the truth.
thatguy

Postby bldavis » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:59 am

Kelaan wrote:Fewer targets also makes it harder for DPS to choose the wrong one. /wishfulthinking

but they will pick the one you mangle last every time

bldavis

Postby Koatanga » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:01 pm

I definitely understand the use of CC - it also buys me time while they are putting their CC up and changing targets.

The problem is when you mark a trap, the hunter trap-pulls, and you have the whole group walking slowly toward you through a patch of frost. Or they're on fire. Or being bitten by snakes. Basically anything except the popsicle you were expecting.

How they get through 80-odd levels without learning what trap does what is beyond me.

And god forbid you pull a group within 10 miles of the next group, or you can expect an autoshot-pull.

I also mark a skull for each pull, signifying the last thing I want killed, apparently.
Koatanga

Postby bldavis » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:11 pm

in my expirience with pugs
skull = ignore til everything else, including the next 3 trash pulls and/or boss, is down
moon = OMG! KILLER SHEEP/FROG! KILL KILL KILL
square = cold mob, light it on fire! (or lonely mob, needs some snakes for pets)
diamond = WTF i cant banish it! ouch my face! NUKE IT!(note: if not demon/elemental i say fear if possible on diamond)
star = pickpocket, then ambush/backstab (actually had a rogue ask me wtf sap was /facepalm)
X = aoe everything
Circle = bah the other guy will get this one, ill "cc" the other mark (i use this for second sap/sheep/fear w/e i have 2 of)

bldavis

Postby Koatanga » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:04 pm

Whatever you do, don't try to LoS any casters. Apparently when you say "This is a LoS pull", the warriors and pet classes read "charge in and stun as many things as possible before".

DPS love it when you pull mobs back, because that gives them an opportunity to put DoTs on everything as they come in...
Koatanga

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:18 pm

thatguy wrote:

That's odd because the dps I know think the opposite.

The transformation of a trash mob to Frog form via Hex makes it the most dangerous creature in all of Wow. All dps must switch to the frog immediately and nuke it down before tribal Amazon indians skewer the frog, put it over a fire and then dip their arrows into the Frog's juices to make poison arrows which they will then use them on the 5 man heroic party.

Frog>>>>>>>>>>skull on all levels.

Trust me on this one. Just trust me. My shaman speaks the truth.

I've got it! Use the frog as your marking tool! Since everyone seems to want to target it anyway... :lol:

When I'm on my DK, I try to avoid aoeing the entire group (ie. Howling Blast to get FF running) until I know the tank has the group situated. If that means the other dps has killed an unmarked mob before I jump in... so be it, but I don't want to be blamed for pulling aggro :D.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:07 am

Something about this thread just reminds me of this :D
Attachments
sillies-20091031-d3baf.gif
sillies-20091031-d3baf.gif (29.23 KiB) Viewed 1946 times
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:04 am

FFF(bear) should interrupt/silence.

That is all.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes