Remove Advertisements

[Druid] Level 85, Pre-Heroic Gear List for Resto (and Boom)

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Druid] Level 85, Pre-Heroic Gear List for Resto (and Boom)

Postby sherck » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:40 am

As requested, this is a failsafe list of gear for Resto (and Boomkin) Druids for pre-Heroics at level 85.

First, no, I cannot do WoWHead links on the gear as I am behind my work firewall and those sites are blocked to me.

Next, this list relies on zero drops; it is all quested, rep vendor, Bind on Equip or crafted gear. None of it requires more than Honored rep with any faction (although achieving Revered with both the Guardians of Hyjal and Earthen Ring is VERY nice).

Also, I am unknowledgeable at present as to the weighting of the secondary stats of resto vs balance. With the Spirit => Hit conversion for Boomkin, I plan on using the same set of gear from my raiding spec (Resto)and my questing/farming spec (Boomkin). There may be a few pieces out there that are much better for balance than what is on my list. If you plan on going Balance primary, go do the research.

In addition, if your Druid has any Justice Points on him, you may be able to purchase some Item Level 346 items right when you hit level 85. The weakest slot in your pre-Heroic failsafe gear set is your waist slot so getting 1,650 Justice Points in order to purchase the Thatch Eave Vines (Waist, Item Level 346, Spirit/Haste) is a huge upgrade. Your next weakest slot is the Chest so you could purchase the Robes of Forgetfulness (chest, Item Level 346, Spirit/Haste) for 2,200 Justice Points next.

Finally, when I list an item’s stats, you need to make the assumption that all items (except trinkets) listed have Stamina and Intellect on them. I am only listing the other stats.

The Plan:

On the Auction House, you will be looking for three inexpensive Bind on Equip pieces for your pre-heroic set (only two pieces if you are Jewelcrafter and can craft both your trinkets or are an Alchemist and can craft one of your trinkets [with Intellect as of 4.0.6]). In addition, you can look for a probably much more expensive crafted item for your Relic slot although there is a quested alternative:

Rainsong (Trinket, Item Level 316, Static Spirit with Haste proc). This is your 2nd trinket slot. About 150 gold on my server.

Bracers of Caustic Purification (Wrists, Item Level 333, Haste/Critical Strike). I have been looking for these for weeks now but have yet to see them on the AH. There is a quested Item Level 318 alternative if these never show up during your AH searching.

Darkbrand Leggins of the… (Legs, Item Level 333). One of those random enchant crafting pieces. You may need to search for a bit to get one listed with the stats you like. I was able to find one for only about 150 gold that had Spirit/Haste on it so it was about perfect.

Tattooed Eyeball (Relic, Item Level 346, Critical Strike/Hit). Okay, so not the best Relic in the world for Resto, however, the next “failsafe” item is only Item Level 318 so bite your tongue, Reforge the Hit to Spirit and socket a gem in the Prismatic and you have a much superior item for your Relic Slot. However, these are still selling for around 1200-1500 gold on my server so if this is too expensive, the quested Relic will be just fine.

Levels 80-81:

Go quest in Hyjal until Honored with the Guardians of Hyjal. While there is no immediate benefit from doing so, you will be gaining the right to purchase the Cloak of the Dryads (Back, I-Level 333, Spirit/Mastery) for your pre-heroic set at level 83. In addition, you will be working on the rep needed for the caster head enchant, Arcanum of Hyjal, which requires level 85 and Revered with the Guardians. Also, at level 85 and Revered, you can purchase the Aessina–Blessed Gloves (Hands, Item Level 346, Haste/Mastery).

After hitting Honored with the Guardians, swap over to Vashj’ir and start working towards the quests that reward Earthen Ring rep. You will be shooting for Honored with the Earthen Ring in order to purchase the Pendant of Elemental Balance (Neck, I-Level 333, Spirit/Mastery) at level 83. If you can work on their rep all the way to Revered, then at level 85 you can then purchase the Leggings of Clutching Roots (Legs, Item Level 346, Spirit/Critical Strike).

Level 82:

Head to Deepholm and keep working on Earthen Ring rep. Also, unlock the Therazane faction to get to Honored for the opportunity to purchase their Lesser Shoulder Enchants.

If you have gotten your Earthen Rep to Revered and Therazane to Honored, go back to Hyjal and work on Guardian rep to Revered.

Level 83:

NOTE: Start wearing your Tabards for the factions that you still need Rep for once you start running the Level 85 regular instances (Halls of Origination, Lost City of the Tol’vir and Grim Batol) that are available at level 83.

You are working for three items in Uldum; unfortunantly, two of them are quest rewards that are pretty deep into the zone so you will have to end up doing about 75% of the zone quests in order to unlock them.

You will also need to achieve Honored with the Ramkahen in order to purchase the ring Ammunae’s Blessing (ring, Item Level 333, Spirit/Mastery) but this is easy to get by just doing the quests.

As soon as you can, get a group together for regular Halls of Origination and complete the quest Doing it the Hard Way for the reward, Helm of Reorigination (Head, Item Level 333, Spirit/Mastery, Meta slot). With the meta slot, this is a VERY nice helm to get at level 83.

Start doing the main quest line and it will eventually roll around to the quest series where you are assisting in the taking of Neferset City. Complete the final quest in that chain, Fall of Neferset City, for the reward Wrap of the Fallen City (Chest, Item Level 325, Spirit/Haste).

Do the Harrison Jones set of quests that will eventually open up the side chain where you go “help out” Commander Schnottz at Schnottz landing and the final quest in that chain, Firing Squad, rewards the Talisman of Sinister Order (Trinket, Item Level 325, Static Intellect with a Mastery proc). This step is not needed if you are Jewelcrafter.

If you are not yet level 84, head back to the earlier zones (or run instances with your tabard on) and keep working on rep for the Guardians (Revered), Earthen Ring (Revered), Ramkahen (Honored) and Therazane (Honored).

Level 84:

I still do not have a good quest guide for Twilight Hightlands so you will just need to either find a good one or follow the logical quest lines along in order to get rewarded the gear you are looking for.

At some point, you are going to want to get a group together to run regular Grim Batol in order to complete the quest, Closing a Dark Chapter, which rewards Gloves of Balefire (hands, Item Level 333, Spirit/Mastery). However, since I have never even seen the final boss in regular or Heroic Grim Batol (fail groups), you might find it easier to get Guardians of Hyjal to Revered for those gloves instead.

In addition, you are going to want to get Honored with the Dragonmaw Clan for the right to purchase the Spaulders of the Endless Plains (shoulders, Item Level 333, Spirit/Haste).

So, all that is left now is to complete the following quests in the Twilight Highlands for your phat loots:

Traitor’s Bait (lead in quest series from Org to TH) for Vision-Tainted Treads (feet, Item Level 333, Haste/Mastery)

Crucible of Carnage series for Gurgthock’s Garish Gorebat (weapon, Item Level 333, Spirit/Critical Strike)

Krazz Works! for Air Raid Beacon (Off-Hand, Item Level 333, Haste/Mastery)

Battle for Life and Death for Red Dragonheart Ring (Ring, Item Level 333, Mastery/Critical Strike)

Crushing the Wildhammer for Belt of Smashed Feathers (Waist, Item Level 318, Spirit/Haste). Not needed if you have the Justice Points available to purchase the JP waist at level 85.

Precious Goods for Spearwarden’s Unlucky Charm (Relic, Item Level 318, Haste/Critical Strike). Not needed if you purchased/crafted a Tattooed Eyeball.

And finaly, Total War that rewards Alefire Bracers (wrists, Item Level 318, Mstery/Critical Strike). Not needed if you were able to find a pair of Bracers of Caustic Purification on the AH.

Recap:

Head = Helm of Reorigination (333, Spirit/Mastery, Meta)
Neck = Pendant of Elemental Balance (333, Spirit/Mastery)
Shoulders = Spaulders of the Endless Plains (333, Spirit/Haste)
Back = Cloak of the Dryads (333, Spirit/Mastery)
Chest = Wrap of the Fallen City (325, Spirit/Haste) [JP purchase upgrade available, # 2 priority]
Wrist = Bracers of Caustic Purification (333, Haste/Crit) [Quested 318 alternative available]
Hands = Gloves of Balefire (333, Spirit/Mastery) [Rep vendor 346 upgrade available]
Waist = Belt of Smashed Feathers (318, Spirit/Haste) [JP purchase upgrade available, # 1 priority]
Legs = Darkbrand Leggings of the… (333, random enchant) [Rep vendor 346 upgrade available]
Feet = Vision-Tainted Treads (333, Haste/Mastery)
Weapon = Gurgthock’s Garish Gorebat (333, Spirit/Crit)
Off-Hand = Air Raid Beacon (333, Haste/Mastery)
Ring = Red Dragonheart Ring (333, Mastery/Crit)
Ring = Ammunae’s Blessing (333, Spirit/Mastery
Trinket = Talisman of Sinister Order (325, Intellect with Mastery Proc) (JC profession upgrade)
Trinket = Rainsong (316, Spirit with Haste Proc) (JC/Alch profession upgrade)
Relic = Spearwarden’s Unlucky Charm (318, Haste/Crit) [BoE crafted 346 upgrade available]

--------
If you go with the lowest possible combination of this list (no Revered reps, no purchased Relic, no purchased Wrists, no JP purchased gear, no profession trinkets), you will end up with a 328 Average Item Level that is just short of being able to queue for Random Heroics. If you add virtually any of the better gear, you will be at the 330 mark and able to queue for Heroics.

Hope this plan helps. Comments always welcome.

[EDIT x3 Spelling is hard.]
sherck

Re: [Druid] Level 85, Pre-Heroic Gear List for Resto (and Boom)

Postby Aanar » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:03 am

Thank you Sherck for putting this together! Now that I have almost all the drops needed for my resto shaman and holy priest, I'm starting to work on leveling my holy priest and resto druid.

I'll have to look into the trade off some more, but I'm thinking it might be better to skip vashjir entirely and doing Hyjal instead until 82, if not until revered. Unlocking therzame in deepholm will get you honored with earthen ring. It's just a hard trade off when every Hyjal quest gives rep but only some Vashjir ones.

Well not entirely -- I'll want to get the seahorse mount. Does anyone know if you have to do x number of quests for the earthen ring quartermaster to show up? Or can you swim right there?
Aanar

Postby sherck » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:30 am

Aanar wrote: Well not entirely -- I'll want to get the seahorse mount. Does anyone know if you have to do x number of quests for the earthen ring quartermaster to show up? Or can you swim right there?

Seahorse not required if you are Walrus! :)

However, on my Pally, I have only done enough Vash quests to unlock the seahorse (and like 3 others beyond it) but was able to swim over to where the Earthen Ring QM lives, get the FP, unlock the port and then purchase stuff from him so you don't have to go far into the zone to get it. I don't know if it was available earlier.

Aanar wrote:I'll have to look into the trade off some more, but I'm thinking it might be better to skip vashjir entirely and doing Hyjal instead until 82, if not until revered. Unlocking therzame in deepholm will get you honored with earthen ring. It's just a hard trade off when every Hyjal quest gives rep but only some Vashjir ones.

Not an unreasonable discussion. I wrote this from the aspect that this is someones number ?? alt and that they were only going to go for Honored in order to get the alt up for Heroics. Obviously, getting Revered for Guardians is key for the Arcanum so your plan would be just as good.

However, I skipped Vash totally on my Pally, did all of Deepholm up until getting Honored with Therzane and was not yet Honored with Earthen Ring. So my experience drove my recommendation to head to Vash if you were not yet at level 82.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Aanar » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:40 am

Thanks, I understand your reasoning better now. How could I forget about walrus form? :o
Aanar

Postby Hokahey » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:43 am

Nicely written guide! A couple of points-

You *will* get to Revered with Guardians of Hyjal before completing all the quests in Mt. Hyjal. There isn't a good reason to stop questing there at Honored. Doing all quests in Deepholm should net you Honored with Earthen Ring, and Therazane, and right around the same time, you should be lvl 83. Personally, I skipped Uldum on my way up, and went back to Vashj'ir first, to get Earthen Ring to Revered, since Ramkahen offers so little to Resto/Balance.

Also, in my opinion, spending that first crucial batch of JP on a belt is a mistake when you have 2 better epic options in slot that can easily be acquired, one available from Exalted rep with Wildhammer/Dragonmaw, the other a BoE crafted belt available through Leatherworking. The crafted belt is very expensive right now, so I personally opted for the Wildhammer/Dragonmaw one. The primary difference between the 2 is the crafted belt has no gemslot with a bit more stats. Also, an epic caster neck (no hit OR Spirit) is available at Exalted through Wildhammer/Dragonmaw.

You'll have all the gear you really want from Reputation when you reach-

Wildhammer- Exalted
Therazane- Exalted
Tol Barad- Exalted
Gurdians of Hyjal- Revered
Earthen Ring- Revered
Ramkahen- Honored
Hokahey

Postby sherck » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:00 pm

All excellent points, Hokahey. I was writing this from the viewpoint that the Druid is probably an alt (because if it was your Main, you are well past this point 2 months into the xpac).

Given that, I wanted to keep the "highest" rep you needed to get at Revered so that this was some failsafe stuff that you could quickly right at level 85 and then start doing Heroics quickly if desired. It is NOT "the best" stuff you can get.

But, excellent points for those who want to get a stronger set quicker. Good catch on the epic belt...I don't know how hard Exalted is with Dragonmaw but it is something you can tabard for and daily quest for so it should not take very long.

Cheers,
sherck

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes