Help required for Boomkin [PVE+PVP]

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Help required for Boomkin [PVE+PVP]

Postby Barathorn » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:58 am

Hi all,

I think I pretty much have the basics down for Boomkin but does anyone have any good sites they can recommend because the ones I have looked at all contradict each other.

Basically I need advice on Gearing/Spec/Gems for PVE and PVP.

Thanks in advance.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Re: Help required for Boomkin [PVE+PVP]

Postby katraya » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:41 am

Here are a few sources I used when researching my boomkin:
http://graymatterwow.blogspot.com/
http://www.relevarts-druid-reliquary.com/blog/ - This one has a great Power Auras template that I have been using.
http://themoonkinrepository.com - a forum that only seems mildly helpful and I haven't read it much recently

A few keys things I have picked up:
Our shrooms are situational and not very useful at the best of times.
Mastery is, unfortunately, our weakest dps stat.
My own personal opinion - when choosing between spirit and hit take the spirit. They work out to be even point for point and the spirit gear can be used if you have a resto dual spec.

Now, don't go looking at my druid as an example! I have sort of shelved her in favor on focusing on my priest so I haven't really put this information into action.

I started trying to do some pvp research but didn't come up with a whole lot. The most I found was on Arena Junkies.
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Barathorn » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:50 am

Thanks Kat!

I think what I really need to know is, can I cheat the system, albeit at a loss of DPS and stay competitive in PVE while using PVP gear mostly?

I'll have a nose around some more.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby ZeroKewl » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:30 pm

I having the same issues. No real boomkin dedicated site. I have been jumping around trying to find any listings. Most place prioritize hit very high as it should be, but most do not list anything for once your hit capped. Best I have found was just an order of importance

Hit/spirit-Sites list hit higher than spirit because your treants gain hit from your hit, but spirit is higher for me based on not going oom during long fights, and my resto spec
Int
Haste
Crit
Mastery

As you might have seen I had a posting asking for boomie advice that got very little response, but through all my wonderings I am not sitting at over 10K dps for heroic bosses, and did a wonderful 75k dps on the last boss of H throne of tides with that fancy little buff. the nexrt guildie on the list topped at 32k ish dps for same fight. I did find I think on greymatter a gear listing with modifers applied to all gear. I will try to post a link to it, as I may not totally agree with the numbers they used it does seem to be correct. I just ignore the items that are only Hit boosters, as I would prefer spirit for dual speccing and ensuring my Innverate is always open for the healer.
ZeroKewl

Postby Levantine » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:14 am

Just going to point out that Spirit does absolutely nothing for in combat mana regeneration unless you're specced into a healing tree.
Levantine

Postby Skye1013 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:16 am

Levantine wrote:Just going to point out that Spirit does absolutely nothing for in combat mana regeneration unless you're specced into a healing tree.

Even so, you still gain the hit rating and only need to carry around one caster set.

Though... I am curious as to why hit has a higher stat priority than int (since for pretty much every spec for every class I've seen has str/int/agi higher than ALL the other stats.)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:37 am

EJ says Hit's not the most important. I'd be interested to look at any site that claims it is.

For reference, EJ's stat listing is Int > haste = hit = Spirit > crit >= mastery
Levantine

Postby ZeroKewl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:13 pm

That is quite interesting. I had not come across any site that did not recommend you be hit capped before anything else. Maybe I just assumed since every other expac always required dpsers to be hit capped above all else. Then look into your Int/Spellpower stats.

Can you hit me with a link showing me the EJ thread? I must have somehow over looked that line
ZeroKewl

Postby Levantine » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:44 am

http://elitistjerks.com/f47/t66856-drui ... m_release/

No caster is currently stretching specifically to the hit cap that I'm aware of. Current levels of SP/Haste/Crit/Mastery make stacking Int better bang for you buck, and in some cases Haste, Mastery and/or Crit are also more dps per point than Hit. This'll probably change as ratings scale up a bit again.
Levantine

Postby Barathorn » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:06 am

From the research I have found on the internet for 4.0.1 and 4.0.3 it would appear it is advisable to follow the basic stat gearing structure as detailed below,

Int > SP > Hit > Haste > Crit > Mastery

The gems we should use are,

Red/Prismatic - [Brilliant Inferno Ruby]
Yellow - [Reckless Ember Topaz]
Blue - [Purified Demonseye]
Meta - [Chaotic Shadowspirit Diamond]

I found this guide to be the most helpful currently as there is a great deal of misinformation out there regarding moonkin at the moment and going through it all was a hard slog.

http://graymatterwow.blogspot.com/p/moo ... r-401.html

The PVP gear is mostly useless beyond 2 piece for the INT bonus as its itemisation is skewed heavily for resilience. However it is possible to reforge the resilience into a more useful stat such as haste or crit.

Barathorn

Postby Levantine » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:44 am

No it's not. Blizzard specifically disabled the ability to reforge Resil to stop people doing just that.
Levantine

Postby Barathorn » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:06 am

Ah that is a shame, thanks for the heads up. I hadn't tried it as our internet died at home yesterday just after I got my 2 piece and we won't get an engineer until thursday which is the earliest either of us can take time off work so it would have had to wait until then anyway. Makes sense I suppose though, otherwise everyone would be doing it as a way to get into heroics with reasonable gear.

Barathorn

Postby ZeroKewl » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:57 pm

I guess I can understand not reforging everything to hit cap other than say mastery, but I just find it hard to believe that their isn't some hit rating goal you should have whether is be automaticly acquired via proper gear.

Right now my raid hit is 2% ish away from being capped. Of course when they fix the meta gemming I will probably drop a tad as my blue spirit gems give me extra hit as well as turning on the meta. So going by that rating would it be fair to reforge mastery into hit/spirit until capped, or to get closer to capping?

Bara-Thanks for the link. I had checked that site before, and somehow missed them saying hit capping wasn't 100% needed. I guess after so many years of just knowing Capping hit was first my brain refused to let those words in lol.
ZeroKewl

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:07 am

We're not saying you shouldn't reforge into hit, but don't gem for it unless your socket bonus gives you 20+ Int on a single socket or 30+ Int on a double socket (in which case you'd use one of the hybrid gems that are int/hit{spirit} for blue sockets, and int/haste for orange).

From what I've gathered, reforge mastery -> hit (spirit if you have resto off spec), if mastery isn't on the gear and crit is... you'll reforge your crit, if mastery/crit aren't on the gear... reforge your haste.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Hokahey » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:13 am

Honestly, my Balance DPS was reasonable in a near full set of Resto PvP gear in BH (~9.5k DPS). I'd expect a more skilled player who was actually using a DPS meta in their helm, addons like Power Auras, and genuine DPS pieces would do substantially better, because I was none of those things, and I still pulled in at middle of the pack.
Hokahey

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes