Heroic gear set vs Raid gear set - Caster DPS

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Heroic gear set vs Raid gear set - Caster DPS

Postby ZeroKewl » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:41 pm

Been wondering this for awhile. With the current hit needed to not miss raid bosses do you think it is worth while to have a seperate set for max dps in heroics? I was thinking of reforging some of my execess hit down to remain capped for lvl 87 bosses, and just unforging if/when I get into raids. Seems like I am dedicating A LOT of stats to hit for raid cap that could really help out a lot in heroics for added dps.

Thoughts? Your plans?
ZeroKewl

Re: Heroic gear set vs Raid gear set

Postby Fetzie » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:43 pm

I don't think it is really worth the money or the effort to be honest. If you are a caster dps you can swap out a couple of hit pieces to drop down to 7%, but other than that I really wouldn't bother.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby econ21 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:20 pm

To the OP - that's interesting. So for 5 mans, we only need to gear for level 87 opponents? That should also reduce the required amount of expertise too? I found when creating a ProtPvP set, it was so much of a relief to aim for caps for only level 85 opponents. 87 is not quite the same break, but every little helps.

I know we shouldn't worry about threat, but having a threat set for 5 mans is efficient and fun imo. But at this stage of the game, I would only use my threat set for normals (if guildies needed me); for heroics, in pre-raid gear, I still dress for survival.
econ21

Postby Fetzie » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:34 pm

There are only ever L+2 mobs in 5 man heroics. So you only need 7% hit, 24 or 25 expertise as a melee or 7% hit as a caster.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby ZeroKewl » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:53 pm

Pyrea wrote:I don't think it is really worth the money or the effort to be honest. If you are a caster dps you can swap out a couple of hit pieces to drop down to 7%, but other than that I really wouldn't bother.

See I would agree with this is the amount of hit needed for lvl 88 vs 87 wasn't so drastic. I think I read you need like 600ish hit for lvl 87 mobs, but for lvl 88 mobs you need almost twice that to reach the cap. That is so much difference I would venture to say reforging excess hit off could earn an extra 2+ k dps.
ZeroKewl

Postby Barathorn » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:00 am

This topic is certainly interesting to think about. My gut feeling is that generally threat sets don't come into the equation for non raids until you comfortably outgear the content. While a few people may be overgeared for Heroics, the rest of us probably aren't currently.

Also we may want to move this to the gear forums?
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby yappo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:08 am

Albeit interesting, this thread should probably be moved to the gear section.
yappo

Postby Flex » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:35 am

If the post topic was cleared up a bit I'd drop it to the offspec forum as it concerns caster DPS.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby majiben » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:12 am

Flex wrote:If the post topic was cleared up a bit I'd drop it to the offspec forum as it concerns caster DPS.

Very much this.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby ZeroKewl » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:30 pm

Barathorn wrote:This topic is certainly interesting to think about. My gut feeling is that generally threat sets don't come into the equation for non raids until you comfortably outgear the content. While a few people may be overgeared for Heroics, the rest of us probably aren't currently.

Also we may want to move this to the gear forums?

This wasn't really concerning threat as I posted it in General. I was aiming at asking DPSers since our hit rating matters, and the amount needed for lvl 87 vs 88 mobs. We can gain a lot of DPS with only shooting for the 7% hit cap for heroics.

I am not really refering to overgearing heroics, just over hit capping them. Reforging could be the ideal way to raise and lower hit as needed inbetween weekly raiding. Just wondering if anyone has considered it
ZeroKewl

Re: Heroic gear set vs Raid gear set - Caster DPS

Postby Barathorn » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:23 am

Ahh my bad, I read it as gearing for threat for tanks for the current heroic content as the original post didn't mention caster DPS, apologies.

I will move it to Offspecs.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes