Remove Advertisements

Prot PVP @ 85

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: Prot PVP @ 85

Postby Ojimaru » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:21 pm

Sleetza wrote:Personally i go for hit/expertise cap, then strength. Crit is nice too.

I'm a little confused as to what the hit and expertise caps are. I hear some say 5%, others 6% (for hit) and then others simply disregard expertise.
Ojimaru

Postby Sleetza » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:46 pm

Ojimaru wrote:
Sleetza wrote:Personally i go for hit/expertise cap, then strength. Crit is nice too.

I'm a little confused as to what the hit and expertise caps are. I hear some say 5%, others 6% (for hit) and then others simply disregard expertise.

Dont know the pvp-numbers by head, but just go for 0% misses and stuff at lvl 85 targets. Servers are down and cba to check the hard way (because you couldnt either :wink: ).
Sleetza

Postby Sleetza » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:21 am

I've just gotten the epic trinket with some resilience and about 1,6k strength on use. Its on 2 minute cooldown and provides awesome bust.

get 3 Holy Power, judgement, trinket+wings (red wings=cool!), SotR, DP, SotR, CS, HoJ CS, Judgement, CS, SotR = win. Tricky to pop without HoJ/trinket available. Good opponents will cc/kite you during it.

I feel I should have rolled a human instead of a draenei so I could use the racial instead of the insignia-trinket. 2 on-use trinkets on 2 minute cooldown paired with wings = awesomesauce.
Sleetza

Postby Shyrtandros » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:01 pm

I've been rocking 2 nights of prot WARRIOR pvp and it's been intense... almost nothing in equal like gear has a chance in touching me...

I figure it'd be about the same as my pally if I tried.. looks awesome.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Astronomic » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:55 pm

Prot warriors are way more annoying than prot pallies to kill in my experience because they have a multitude of stuns where as a pallies basically got healz that (aside from WoG) are interuptable. And when i interupt that they are locked out of holy spells for another 5 seconds. However as a feral druid with thorns glyphd all I really hafta do is keep thorns up + bear form and you will more or less kill yourself overtime. :D
You can have my gold for free, The mobs of elywnn forest are holding on to it.
Astronomic

Postby Sleetza » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:34 pm

Sure, wanna duel? :)
Sleetza

Postby Vort » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:06 pm

As a joke the MT of my guild and I decided to do some Prot 2v2. Prot Paladin and Prot Warrior.

Pretty sure out of the 12 odd games we've played together we've only lost once, and that was simply because we were unsure of how to handle the situation.

With the magnitude of stuns (timed right we can keep one person locked down for up to 10 seconds) and interupts between us we were able to lock down entirely one person whilst putting out a fair level of damage on them, and regardless of who they attacked it was like punching a brick wall. In one instance we oomed a druid warrior team, twice.

I ran some prot paly in 3's with a warlock and holy paladin, managed to win 7 out of 8 games due to me charging in and putting people on the back foot. We nearly lost to a resto druid, survival hunter, ele shaman though. Our lock got bursted with CC going out and then we were down 3-2 with the other 3 on full HP. My holy paly had given up at this stage, and I was getting focused while my holy paly ran LoS so I decided to go out with a bang and try and clobber the druid, hit my buffs and wings etc and smashed him for 25k SotR (Vengeance is good in PVP too!) After seeing that, I hit my Plea and got another 25k SotR with a SD proc. My holy paly was curious and decided to heal me and we stunned the druid and killed him inside of the HoJ. The ele shaman and hunter then tried to kite me to no avail, switched to SoI and just kept my heals up and slowly killed the shaman. The hunter spat on me so my holy paly and I pulled out Hand of Rag and Ashkandi and slowly meleed him down.

It's going to become quite viable with rebuke, we just need to get strats and stuff sorted. We've got good interupts and decent support abilities with amazing survivability, and don't forget our SD procs can hit hard.
Ilyashattack wrote:best ret pally, best prot pally, best jewish paladin, ugliest blood elf haircut person

Gárrosh wrote:You have rung a bell which cannot be unrung. Gladiator Astral and The Scum Cleave are an unstoppable juggernaut of oppression. Can you stop an unstoppable juggernaut of oppression? No you can't it's unstoppable.
Vort

Postby Kelaan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:12 pm

I always forget about Sacred Duty. I need a power aura or something to indicate when it's up, I guess.

I've been doing 2v2s with a survival hunter. It's been good so far -- we have about a 50% win ratio. It's interesting how player skill works, though. One warlock/warrior pair we faced died FAST, and the other pair just took our lunches and ate it while we died.

I really like Avenger's Shield as an opener versus mages or other casters -- it really seems to screw with their planned opening, especially when they're trying to CC someone. Interestingly, rogues are pretty hard to kill -- half the damage seems to be nature damage, and SoInsight doesn't prevent them from stealthing. Yikes. Combine that with Recuperate, and it gets ugly. I don't know HOW I beat the one that I faced -- I was lucky.

It's fun enough that I'm planning to stick with this comp as long as I can, and then (once I get enough resilience) try and find a healer or other friend to do 3s with.
Kelaan

Postby Sleetza » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:26 pm

Did find another prot pally with 3,1k ish resilience just like me. Did do some 2v2, we actually won everything except the odd healer/damage combo. We lost 2 matches against a warrior with a druid with 3500 resilience and a shitload regen. He did outrun us, we couldnt burn him down because of the regen and couldnt get him oom on the warrior either. Our best try was us running behind pillars so the dps had to come to us out LoS of his healer and try to burst him down while using LoS/HoJ on the druid. I can imagine shamans can do the same with ghostwolf but they dont have cyclonespam, which should make survivability MUCH better since 2 prot pallies easily outheal a dps if they want to. When rebuke gets baseline we'll have more tools to use LoS/spelllockout/HoJ while burning down the dps. Other then that we pretty much facerolled teams with 2 dps, bad restodruids without gear, one time it got to 1v1 where i died because i bursted down a DK but the other prot pally killed the holy pally.

Basically a geared/skilled healer with insane resilience + a class who does high dps and can slow both of us are really hard to beat but by pulling them apart, then bursting the dps while stunning the healer works really good.
Sleetza

Postby ZeroKewl » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:20 pm

Can anyone post their talent builds? I am quite enjoying pvping on my pally, and so far have been doing it in ret spec. Think I need to convert over.
ZeroKewl

Postby letmebreathe » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:08 am

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sZhrrcRzdRRudbG:k0sdkRmcz

Is what I have started to use. Its more aimed at offensive pvp then Def, try going into holy if you spamming WoG a lot.

Also open to ideas or modifactions to the build.

Cheers,
Letme
letmebreathe

Postby Sleetza » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:55 am

If you want to go offensive (which you should IMO) then you should certainly take Crusade over Eye for an Eye. Ive tried 3/3 Crusade and 2/2 Improved Judgement and Ive tried 3/3 Crusade and 2/2 Eye for an Eye. In arena's you need that ranged attack and if your opponents are smart they dont focus fire you so it has no use anyway. If theyre not then Eye for an Eye shouldnt be needed. You cant spellreflect people till death anyway, let alone spellreflect anything else then casters. Chances are youre getting double mage but then just use GoAK at the start with WoG-spam (I got WoG macroed to cancel Divine Plea so I can use DP for an emergency 3HP WoG) and you should be fine. The ranged attack is usable against any setup, and Crusade is just a must-have since our damage output is relatively low.
Divine Guardian is powerfull in group-pvp. I've excluded it because my main-focus are 2s and since it doesnt work on myself its not THAT good. In bigger setups like mass world-pvp or Arena its awesome.
Also, Seals of the Pure > Divinity. Its needed to get lower tier talents because its better then toughness. Speaks for itself that your build is very defensive. In 2s the lack of the insane damage warriors etc. can pull off is our weak point, our survivability is awesome already. And besides: Toughness aint gonna save you and has a very small and very situational use, those points are better spend elsewhere.
I am running with this:
http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sZGrMsRzdRMucbG:z0sdzVmcz

I took a point in Hallowed Grounds in order to advance to lower tier talents and I found myself dropping it against a pillar/pile of crates when people are running around pillars all the time.

Also notice the glyphchanges. I replaced HotR by Crusader Strike. The only situation where you should be using HotR over CS is when you want to pressure some guys with a healer healing them if you have chances of getting him OOM. I dont even got it on my actionbar (with engineeringstuff my actionbar is pretty stuffed). And besides, crits are nice. Its all about burst for us anyway. Also removed the cleansglyph and some other manathing. I found myself rarely short of mana, if it does happen in rediculously long matches its when putting Concecration HoW etc down. If you have Improved Judgement you shouldnt run OOM. Focused Shield speaks for itself and more range on HoJ is king against runners/ranged and it turns HoJ into a ranged interrupt which is nice even when we get Rebuke (because Rebuke requires meleerange).

Think that sums it up mostly, just ask when I've forgot to explain something.

Got the 1550 achievement yesterday, not too shabby concidering Im running with a restodurid with 1600ish resilience :) Win/loss-ratio is pretty impressive, had win-streaks of 6. Just messed up with some guys without gear/communication/skill at the start of the season (tried to help some RL friends on their weekly conquestpoints... Not gonna happen at high rating when they suck).
Sleetza

Postby Central » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:56 am

http://taugrim.com/

He is pretty much the authority on Prot PVP. Has gotten nearly 2200 this season running with an enh shaman. Which is a pretty off the wall comp. He has a full guide including all the numbers, caps, and everything you need for prot pvp.
Central

Postby Sleetza » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:14 am

Not sure what you mean by "off the wall" (no native English speaker here) but its a good comp. Insane utility, some cc, purges, pushbacks, totems, buffs etc.

I gotta say I dont agree with everything Taugrim says, altho its a nice read and good to get started.
Sleetza

Postby Central » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:46 am

Off the wall being not normal, or unstandard. Prot/Enh is far from a common comp.

What exactly do you not agree with? I'd love to see other people who pvp as prot's opinions on things.
Central

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes