[Holy] A pre-Heroic gearing guide for Cata

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Holy] A pre-Heroic gearing guide for Cata

Postby sherck » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:31 am

Here is a general gearing plan for Holy Paladins to be Heroic ready once they ding level 85. It is based on all Plate armor for the specialization bonus.

And, no, I sit behind a firewall at work and cannot create links to the items. Sorry.

It is not based on getting any useful instance drops so if you do get one of those in the regular versions of the Lost City of the Tol’vir, Grim Batol or Halls of Origination (all which reward Item Level 333 rare gear from bosses), you will be able to skip over some of these gearing choices.

It also assumes you are near to the 4,000 Justice Point limit prior to Tuesday because you will need to have a total of 4,400 Justice Points prior to hitting level 85. There are two slots (chest, legs) that have no good Plate alternative that are not instance drops and therefore not guaranteed.

At levels 80+. Keep checking the Auction House to see if any of 4 Spirit based Bind on Equip rare (blue) healer trinkets ranging from Item Level 292 to Item Level 316 become available at a reasonable price. This will be your primary choice for your second trinket slot; however, if you cannot find one (or afford one), there is an Intellect based quest reward that can fill in but it has a DPS proc so is not ideal.

Also, go ahead and purchase the Legguards of the Gentle (legs, Item Level 346) for 2,200 Justice Points from the JP vendor in your capital city. You will need to gather another 2,200 to purchase the vendor chest piece as well but with a cap of 4,000 Justice Points, you cannot wait until you are level 85 to purchase both or else you will hit the cap. There is an instance drop alternative to the chest piece if you are lucky enough to get it. There is not a real good alternative to the legs so get those now.

Levels 80 and 81: Go quest in Mount Hyjal. You need to become Honored with the Guardians of Hyjal in order to purchase the Cloak of the Dryads (back, Item Level 333) from their quartermaster. You will also want to eventually become Revered with them for the level 85 caster Arcanum of Hyjal head enchant.

Level 82: Go quest in Deepholm. You need to become Honored with the Earthen Ring in order to purchase the Pendant of Elemental Balance (neck, Item Level 333) from their quartermaster.

Level 83:

1. Equip both of the rep vendor pieces purchased above.
2. Have the Stormforged Helm (head, Item Level 333) crafted and equip.
3. At your earliest opportunity, get a guild group together and go run regular Lost City of the Tol’vir in order to complete the quest Targets of Opportunity which rewards Captain Hadan’s Pauldrons (shoulders, Item Level 333).
4. Quest in Uldum in order to build Ramkahen reputation to Honored in order to purchase both the Drystone Greaves (feet, Item Level 333) and Ammunae’s Blessing (finger, Item Level 333).
5. You will need to focus on eventually completing the Down with Neferset City series of quests (in main quest line for the zone) for its final quest, The Fall of Neferset City, which rewards the Fallen Brotherhood Gauntlets (hands, Item Level 333).
6. You will also need to do the Schnottz's Landing series of quests out west (breadcrumbs from the Harrison’s Story quest chain) in order to get to Firing Squad that rewards the Talisman of Sinister Order (Intellect trinket, Item Level 325)

Level 84:

Quest in Twilight Highlands. NOTE: I don’t have a listing of quests for Twilight Highlands so I don’t know what order these need to be done or what quest chain they are part of. Hopefully, by the time I get to level 84, I will have something to go by.

1. Complete the quest Everything but the Kitchen Sink that rewards the Tool-Bracing Armguards (wrists, Item Level 318)
2. Complete the quest Precious Goods that rewards Spearwarden’s Unlucky Charm (relic, Item Level 318)
3. Complete the quest Night Terrors that rewards the Harmlight Token (Intellect trinket, Item Level 318) [NOTE: It has a DPS proc. Keep looking for a Spirit-based BoE one on the AH.]
4. Complete the quest Fury Unbound that rewards the Clear-Eyed Waistguard (waist, Item Level 333)
5. Complete the quest Battle of Life and Death that rewards the Red Dragonheart Ring (finger, Item Level 333)
6. Complete the quest Krazz Works! That rewards the Air Raid Beacon (off-hand, Item Level 333)
7. Get a group of guildies together and complete The Crucible of Carnage series for your Gurgthock’s Garish Gorebat (weapon, Item Level 333)

Level 85:

Ding. Congrats.

1. Go purchase the Chestguard of Dancing Waves (chest, Item Level 346) for 2,200 Justice Points from the JP vendor in your capital city.
2. Have gathered: Arcanum of Blissful Mending (Wyrmrest Accord) or Arcanum of Hyjal if you reached Revered with the Guardians of Hyjal. Greater Inscription of the Crag (Sons of Hodir), Ghostly Spellthread (crafted), 2x the red uncommon (green) gems (for Brilliant cut), 3x the orange uncommon (green) gems (for Reckless cut) and 1x purple uncommon (green) gem (for Seer’s cut) and Cata enchanting mats to enchant all the rest of the slots.

Get everything enhanced and re-forged (turning Critical Strike and Mastery into Spirit and Haste when possible). As a ballpark figure, this gear set (not including base player stats) delivers:

4,077 Stamina
3,535 Intellect (Armor Specialization to deliver another + 176 Intellect)
1,684 Spirit
1,195 Haste rating
619 Mastery rating
313 Critical Strike rating

Hope this guides helps.

Cheers,
sherck

Re: [Holy] A pre-Heroic gearing guide for Cata

Postby Aanar » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:34 pm

Thanks for the writeup. Do you have an estimate for how many hours it will take to gather all these things? Either including the time to level to 85 or or just the time it takes to do get the extra stuff. Thanks!
Aanar

Postby sherck » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:45 am

Aanar wrote:Thanks for the writeup. Do you have an estimate for how many hours it will take to gather all these things? Either including the time to level to 85 or or just the time it takes to do get the extra stuff. Thanks!

The short answer is, I don't know.

Levels 80 - 82 are dead easy. Getting to honored with those 2 factions should be a piece of cake as long as you are questing in those two zones.

Level 83 appears to be pretty easy too; all the quest rewards are in the "main" quest line for the zone. My major worry is that the questing XP will ding you to level 84 before getting to the quests that reward you the gear you are looking for thus making the level 84 questing in Twilight Highlands pushing you over level 85 prior to you getting all the gear there.

Someone who played in Beta would be better able to determine if they leveled their toons and had lots of quests left over before moving on or did they have to supplement their XP with instances and the like to make level.

I don't know the answer to that.

But, many people are saying that they can make level 85 with 10-12 hours played so I cannot imagine that following the questing progression would be much slower/faster than that.

Hope this answer helps.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby econ21 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:47 am

sherck wrote:At levels 80+. ... go ahead and purchase the Legguards of the Gentle (legs, Item Level 346) for 2,200 Justice Points from the JP vendor in your capital city.

This is a very nice guide, but my understanding was that we cannot buy L85 JP gear until we are L85. Or will that be relaxed when Cata launches?
econ21

Postby sherck » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:29 am

econ21 wrote:
sherck wrote:At levels 80+. ... go ahead and purchase the Legguards of the Gentle (legs, Item Level 346) for 2,200 Justice Points from the JP vendor in your capital city.

This is a very nice guide, but my understanding was that we cannot buy L85 JP gear until we are L85. Or will that be relaxed when Cata launches?

Hmmm...I was unaware of that. With virtually every other faction in the game...most importantly the Wrath ones since they came latest...you can almost always purchase the gear at a level before you can use it but cannot equip it until the proper level.

I know Blizzard wants to slow down the gearing up process but if they indeed have made it so you cannot even purchase the gear until level 85, that puts a slight kink in things.

My initial thought, if this is true that you cannot purchase the gear until you ding level 85, depends on the answer to a question:

Does the Justice Point cap remain at 4,000 points? Or is it that you can just transfer 4,000 points from Wrath and can gather more from the dungeon dailies during the level up process up to a different, higher cap?

A. If you can gather more points, then just hold off on purchasing any of the emblem gear until you reach level 85 since, if you gathered 4k points as I indicated, you should have more than the 4,400 JP needed to purchase the chest and legs in the guide.

B. If 4k is still a hard cap, then still purchase the legs at level 85 and go have the Stormforged Chest crafted. It is an Item Level 333 green piece and will tide you over until you can gather the other 400 JP needed to purchase the badge chest.
sherck

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:19 am

It's like that for pretty much everything now, you can't buy if you're below the required level. Not just 80+ gear.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Shoju » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:29 am

KysenMurrin wrote:It's like that for pretty much everything now, you can't buy if you're below the required level. Not just 80+ gear.

I most certainly purchased rep gear prior to being the right level in WotLK, but it is true that you must be 85 to purchase the JP gear :(
Shoju

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:46 am

By "now" I mean "since 4.0".
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby sherck » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:56 am

Shoju wrote:
KysenMurrin wrote:It's like that for pretty much everything now, you can't buy if you're below the required level. Not just 80+ gear.

I most certainly purchased rep gear prior to being the right level in WotLK, but it is true that you must be 85 to purchase the JP gear :(

Is the hard cap for holding Justice Points 4k or is that just the transfer cap from Wrath and you can accumulate more JP once you start leveling?

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Dharren » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:22 pm

Thanks for making this guide. I leveled as a tank and because of that, I've grabbed mostly tank gear from quests (for quick reg dungeon runs) and whatever plate healing I could get (that other people didn't want, or through rep)

I think notable alternatives to spending the Justice Points are:

Legs:
Stormforged Legguards http://www.wowhead.com/item=55038
(Crafted Blacksmith, Mining, iLvl 325,) Raw material cost: 8x Obsidium ore, 16x Elementium ore
Compare with JP Legs: http://www.wowhead.com/item=58107

Chest:
Peacemaker's Breastplate http://www.wowhead.com/item=62359
(Revered with Earthen Ring, iLvl 346) Do the Vashjir quests, throw on their tabard, do a few runs and you should be set.
Compare with JP chest: http://www.wowhead.com/item=58106

I'm not sure which is better in terms of stats but if you're low on JP or rather save up, these would be good alternatives.
Dharren

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes