DK 4.01 DPS. Frost or Unholy?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: DK 4.01 DPS. Frost or Unholy?

Postby Shoju » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:50 pm

True, I guess I got out of DWing tank weapons when I was able to pick up some big dumb slow weapons.

I'm currently deciding if I want to use my pvp love on the DK to get a new 2h'er to tank with, or get a 1h'er to get rid of my 232. I'm leaning towards a 2h'er to tank with.
Shoju

Postby Korola » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:21 pm

I had no interest in 2H weapons. I always passed on them because I liked DW frost tanking. I had Tyrannical Beheader to mess around with.

Picked up Ramaladni's Blade the other week and am pleased with this weapon.
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:09 am

Korola wrote:I had no interest in 2H weapons. I always passed on them because I liked DW frost tanking. I had Tyrannical Beheader to mess around with.

Picked up Ramaladni's Blade the other week and am pleased with this weapon.

I have the beheader as my ONLY 2h'er, and I have it gemmed, runed, and reforged to tank with.
Shoju

Postby Adryl » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:21 am

I decided to get the sword from Argent tournament just to test it out. I'm sick of running PoS hoping something will drop.
Adryl

Postby Korola » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:17 am

Decided to buy a couple dps pieces (T10 shoulders and gloves). Will be interesting with 2pc tank bonus and 2 pc dps bonus.
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:23 am

Ohhh, that's a great idea. I noticed the same on my Ret gear: the T10 bonus is just a flat percentage increase in overall damage, rather than skill-specific, which means it works awesomely as threat-tank-gear.
Kelaan

Postby Korola » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:33 am

Yeah, I had no plans for anything serious with it. I have some other pieces I have filled in as a threat set. My AP is 5400 unbuffed, I have 42 expertise, and 7.91% hit. My buddy just hit 80 on his rogue and wants to chain some heroics. I think this should speed it up a little.
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby Adryl » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:11 pm

I actually would like to pose a question about dw unholy. Has anyone has the chance to test out both dw and 2-h unholy dps? Sadly I have been slacking on my DK and nothing has been dropping for him 2-h wise. I would think with the haste buff from Uh Pres and 2-h it's somewhat like a rogue. But even on my dk who is mixed T-9 and other 232, I am not even close to Hit Capped for white dmg (everything, yes EVERYTHING, is reforged for hit just to see if I could make it). I know with the 2-hander it will be considerably easier to hit the cap but I was j/w if anyone has done the math so I don't have to :P
Adryl

Postby Kelaan » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:45 am

Adryl wrote:I actually would like to pose a question about dw unholy. Has anyone has the chance to test out both dw and 2-h unholy dps?

I recall some blogger from EJ doing some tests on his personal blog that said that (for BIS) DW unholy was much worse than 2H, and much worse than DW frost. I haven't tested it. I'll see if I can find a link.

Edit:
I can't seem to find a link to it. :-( Sorry. All I can say is, the only difference in SPEC would be to pick up the DW stuff in Frost tree, rather than Bladed Armor in Blood tree. However, your main weapon strikes will be Scourge Strike (100% weapon damage, multiplied by diseases) and Festering Strike (150% weapon damage). However, you can't get Threat of Thassarian (and it wouldn't affect those anyways).

Now, whether you like Frost enough to use it DW, versus using a crappy 2H in Unholy, vs using Good DW weapons in unholy .... I don't know how those all compare. Your mileage varies.
Kelaan

Postby superworm » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:58 am

2H frost seems OK for me, and the spec has the great benefit of +20% mount speed for an off-spec. Also I'm using shadowmourne and I guess in BiS gear DW frost can hardly offset the increase in dps because of the legendery weapon. Maybe I need to run a simulator to check it.
superworm

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:05 am

I figured a slight necro was better than starting a whole new thread for this (especially since it still kinda falls under the same topic...)

Which is better for DW Frost... frost pres or unholy pres? Both give rune regen (though that might be from imp. frost pres, can't tell) but one gives haste + movement speed, the other gives AP.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Eltiana » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:54 am

Skye1013 wrote:I figured a slight necro was better than starting a whole new thread for this (especially since it still kinda falls under the same topic...)

Which is better for DW Frost... frost pres or unholy pres? Both give rune regen (though that might be from imp. frost pres, can't tell) but one gives haste + movement speed, the other gives AP.

The last I checked in EJ, DW frost wants Frost presence, while 2handed Frost wants Unholy.
Eltiana

Previous

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes