Remove Advertisements

Retribution, PvE or PvP

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: Retribution, PvE or PvP

Postby Maballsies » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:12 pm

I'm guessing you just didn't look at my earlier post, since it is all badge/crafted gear.

Maballsies wrote:helm: Liadrin's Helm of Conquest (i232)
neck: Spiked Battleguard Choker (i226)
shoulder: Shoulderplate's of Trembling Rage (i245)
Back: Hammerhead Sharkskin's Cloak (i213)
Chest: Liadrin's Battleplate of Conquest (i232)
Wrist: Wristbands of the Sentinel Huntress (i213)
Hands: Liadrin's Gauntlets of Conquest (i232)
Waist: Belt of the Singing Blade (i226)
Legs: Liadrin's Legplates of Conquest (i232)
Feet: Bladed Steelboots (i213)
Ring(1): Bloodshed Band (i245)
Ring(2): Dexterous Brightstone Ring (i245)
Trinket(1): Mirror of Truth (i200)
Trinket(2): Mark of Supremecy (i245)
Libram: Libram of Discord (i226)

But I guess I'll type it all again for emphasis.
Head t9
Neck i226 vendor
Shoulder i245 vendor
Back i213 vendor
Chest t9
Wrist crafted i245
Hands t9
Waist crafted i226
Legs t9
Feet crafted i226
Ring i245 vendor str
Ring i245 vendor agi
Trinket i200 mirror
Trinket i245 mark (if you need hit) then go for NES
Weapon almost anything out of the new icc heroics
Libram i245 or i226 vendors

Use 10str/10crit in yellow slots when the socket bonus is 4str or more or 8crit or more IF you have 2p t9. then use one 10stats in the highest blue socket bonus. otherwise gem pure str
Good God can you still get us home?
We're forgetting our forgiveness
Maballsies

Postby ZeroKewl » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:53 pm

Maballsies wrote:I'm guessing you just didn't look at my earlier post, since it is all badge/crafted gear.

Maballsies wrote:helm: Liadrin's Helm of Conquest (i232)
neck: Spiked Battleguard Choker (i226)
shoulder: Shoulderplate's of Trembling Rage (i245)
Back: Hammerhead Sharkskin's Cloak (i213)
Chest: Liadrin's Battleplate of Conquest (i232)
Wrist: Wristbands of the Sentinel Huntress (i213)
Hands: Liadrin's Gauntlets of Conquest (i232)
Waist: Belt of the Singing Blade (i226)
Legs: Liadrin's Legplates of Conquest (i232)
Feet: Bladed Steelboots (i213)
Ring(1): Bloodshed Band (i245)
Ring(2): Dexterous Brightstone Ring (i245)
Trinket(1): Mirror of Truth (i200)
Trinket(2): Mark of Supremecy (i245)
Libram: Libram of Discord (i226)

But I guess I'll type it all again for emphasis.
Head t9
Neck i226 vendor
Shoulder i245 vendor
Back i213 vendor
Chest t9
Wrist crafted i245
Hands t9
Waist crafted i226
Legs t9
Feet crafted i226
Ring i245 vendor str
Ring i245 vendor agi
Trinket i200 mirror
Trinket i245 mark (if you need hit) then go for NES
Weapon almost anything out of the new icc heroics
Libram i245 or i226 vendors

Use 10str/10crit in yellow slots when the socket bonus is 4str or more or 8crit or more IF you have 2p t9. then use one 10stats in the highest blue socket bonus. otherwise gem pure str

I did see yoru first post, but questioned the Ilevel of some items, and just wanted a little clarification on some items like the wrist. I saw the crafted 245 had Armpen, and I remembered that stat being super low on our list, so wondered. And the gemming question too! I seem to have LOTS of yellow slots, and was way over the hit cap...now below it by .5%, and not sure that is worth gemming for?
ZeroKewl

Postby Gamingdevil » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:05 pm

ZeroKewl wrote:I did see yoru first post, but questioned the Ilevel of some items, and just wanted a little clarification on some items like the wrist. I saw the crafted 245 had Armpen, and I remembered that stat being super low on our list, so wondered. And the gemming question too! I seem to have LOTS of yellow slots, and was way over the hit cap...now below it by .5%, and not sure that is worth gemming for?

You can fix that by simply swapping one str/crit gem for str/hit.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby Maballsies » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:08 pm

ZeroKewl wrote:I did see yoru first post, but questioned the Ilevel of some items, and just wanted a little clarification on some items like the wrist. I saw the crafted 245 had Armpen, and I remembered that stat being super low on our list, so wondered. And the gemming question too! I seem to have LOTS of yellow slots, and was way over the hit cap...now below it by .5%, and not sure that is worth gemming for?

First of all, my apologies. I had originally made a list with badge/crafted gear, but changed it since you did not want to spend gold on your ret set.

Now..
Don't count out an item because of a lower ilvl. Get that gear and you will be fine to pug most anything. Pick up OS pieces in raids to replace some of the weaker items if you want, but if you play right your dps should be fine. Get the 3 crafted items I mentioned and get badge gear after that. ArP only affects melee hits (roughly 40% of a ret pally's damage) so it is not very good. Those bracers are, however, better than the i213 ones, by far, simply because of the huge str gain. Just because an item has ArP on it does not mean it is banned for pallies, but it is generally not something to look at. And for the gemming question, IDK hit by %, I just know it by numbers. .5% is something like 260 or 261 (I guess) so no. I would personally not gem hit for that little amount of hit you need. But if you wanted to be capped, then replace one gem like gamingdevil said.
Maballsies

Postby Gamingdevil » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:17 am

Maballsies wrote:

First of all, my apologies. I had originally made a list with badge/crafted gear, but changed it since you did not want to spend gold on your ret set.

Now..
Don't count out an item because of a lower ilvl. Get that gear and you will be fine to pug most anything. Pick up OS pieces in raids to replace some of the weaker items if you want, but if you play right your dps should be fine. Get the 3 crafted items I mentioned and get badge gear after that. ArP only affects melee hits (roughly 40% of a ret pally's damage) so it is not very good. Those bracers are, however, better than the i213 ones, by far, simply because of the huge str gain. Just because an item has ArP on it does not mean it is banned for pallies, but it is generally not something to look at. And for the gemming question, IDK hit by %, I just know it by numbers. .5% is something like 260 or 261 (I guess) so no. I would personally not gem hit for that little amount of hit you need. But if you wanted to be capped, then replace one gem like gamingdevil said.

If I am to believe wowwiki, 0.5% hit is 17 hit rating short of the 263 cap. I'd consider at least replacing one gem, not sure if the other one would be worth it, but it might be.
Gamingdevil

Postby Maballsies » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:10 am

Gamingdevil wrote:If I am to believe wowwiki, 0.5% hit is 17 hit rating short of the 263 cap. I'd consider at least replacing one gem, not sure if the other one would be worth it, but it might be.

Yeah you are probably more right than me since I thought it said 0.05% for some reason. 17 below the cap I would even change 2 gems. 1 is a MUST, the 2nd is optional, but preferred.
Maballsies

Postby ZeroKewl » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:51 pm

Good to know! I might just try Icewalker enchant for my boots or something simple. I plan to upgrade my gems to epicness before my first raid this Thursday. I will be OTing it, but if I see ToC correctly I might use Ret for the defenders battle. ToC is our checking instance as this is a new raid group just forming, and before gearing becomes an issue (ICC) we want to get a feel for each other.

Anyone randomly know other raid scenarios were I will not be used as an OT, and will be expected to go ret for fights>?
ZeroKewl

Postby Gamingdevil » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:54 pm

ZeroKewl wrote:Good to know! I might just try Icewalker enchant for my boots or something simple. I plan to upgrade my gems to epicness before my first raid this Thursday. I will be OTing it, but if I see ToC correctly I might use Ret for the defenders battle. ToC is our checking instance as this is a new raid group just forming, and before gearing becomes an issue (ICC) we want to get a feel for each other.

Anyone randomly know other raid scenarios were I will not be used as an OT, and will be expected to go ret for fights>?

In ToC25? Depends how many tanks you bring. You really only need 2, but a lot of groups take 3 just to be sure.

If the other tank is up for solo tanking Jaraxxas+adds, you might dps there.
Gamingdevil

Postby ZeroKewl » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:31 pm

ToC 10...I dislike 25 man raiding, as it is just too many people, or I don't like people enough...not sure why, but I only really enjoy 10 man raids
ZeroKewl

Postby econ21 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:37 pm

This is a very nice thread, thanks for starting it. Do you have any advice on the frost emblem purchase order? I'm particularly interested in recommendations for a 10-man raider, as ret will probably always be an off-spec at best for me - so no marks or ICC25 are drops likely. With prot, we tend to get T10 last with our frosties but with ret, I gather the 4pc is worth getting so may be that comes first?

Is RAWR good for retribution gear choices? I know it's frowned upon for protection.
econ21

Postby andx » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:53 am

econ21 wrote:This is a very nice thread, thanks for starting it. Do you have any advice on the frost emblem purchase order? I'm particularly interested in recommendations for a 10-man raider, as ret will probably always be an off-spec at best for me - so no marks or ICC25 are drops likely. With prot, we tend to get T10 last with our frosties but with ret, I gather the 4pc is worth getting so may be that comes first?

Is RAWR good for retribution gear choices? I know it's frowned upon for protection.

Rawr is decent for ret. Frost badges you want to get your 4peice t10 first then herkumi war token then fill out the rest. the 2 and 4 piece bonuses are extremely good.
Maybe I just have a disease or an addiction to tanking, my gf says I'm a masochist I say I like it rough, either way I'm a tank and I can't escape it.
andx

Postby Maballsies » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:56 pm

andx wrote:Rawr is decent for ret. Frost badges you want to get your 4peice t10 first then herkumi war token then fill out the rest. the 2 and 4 piece bonuses are extremely good.

Wrong.

Rawr is actually good for ret, puts me +/- 1.5k of what I pull depending on the fight.

As for frost emblems, get your 4pc first, then the belt. Get the plate belt if you need hit or think you will soon. Otherwise, get the leather belt, it's better dps by itself. Then get the HWT if your trinkets are bad. It is better than greatness, but barely; but it is worse than WFS. Ideally get WFS and HWT, but WFS and DMC:G is very close behind on the dps chart. If your trinkets are nice, go for your offset piece. Hands are the offset for BiS, but I've never looked up 10m charts. I would guess get the OS chest, but I can't tell you for sure. Try both scenarios in Rawr, 1 with offset chest the other with hands. It will really come down to what your hit is like. Finally, after all purchases are done, get the libram, it's a slight upgrade from the ToC one and shouldn't be a huge priority for your emblem purchases. Don't get the cloak, there are ones from 10m that are much better.
Maballsies

Postby andx » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:12 am

Maballsies wrote:
andx wrote:Rawr is decent for ret. Frost badges you want to get your 4peice t10 first then herkumi war token then fill out the rest. the 2 and 4 piece bonuses are extremely good.

Wrong.

Rawr is actually good for ret, puts me +/- 1.5k of what I pull depending on the fight.

As for frost emblems, get your 4pc first, then the belt. Get the plate belt if you need hit or think you will soon. Otherwise, get the leather belt, it's better dps by itself. Then get the HWT if your trinkets are bad. It is better than greatness, but barely; but it is worse than WFS. Ideally get WFS and HWT, but WFS and DMC:G is very close behind on the dps chart. If your trinkets are nice, go for your offset piece. Hands are the offset for BiS, but I've never looked up 10m charts. I would guess get the OS chest, but I can't tell you for sure. Try both scenarios in Rawr, 1 with offset chest the other with hands. It will really come down to what your hit is like. Finally, after all purchases are done, get the libram, it's a slight upgrade from the ToC one and shouldn't be a huge priority for your emblem purchases. Don't get the cloak, there are ones from 10m that are much better.

So Basically you said I was wrong then restated what I said about frost emblem priority, except you tossed in the part about getting the belt if your hit was low, then sited a simulation in Rawr...? You sir seem to be confused what wrong means.
Maybe I just have a disease or an addiction to tanking, my gf says I'm a masochist I say I like it rough, either way I'm a tank and I can't escape it.
andx

Postby Donahu » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:11 am

Er, he actually did differ from what you suggested. He said to get the belt after the four piece which is what you should do. "If short hit, get the plate one. If not, get the leather one." was what he said. So...his order is 4pc tier --> Belt --> Trinket.

I agree with him in that buying the HWT is a bad choice right after 4 piece. It is not itemized great for us at all and there are easily obtained items that are better, even though they are lower ilvl. I would hold off on the trinket until you have four piece tier, the belt, and possibly the gloves (depending on current gloves) and then *look* at the trinket. Personally, I went with the plate belt because it works great with your end-game set and the extra hit is not going to hinder you.

BUT, the trinket is *really* not that great. It is such a small DPS increase over greatness that I wouldn't even buy it TBH. The ToC 25m trinket and 10m ICC trinket off Lady Deathwhisper are both better and are puggable. I'd "rent" the trinket until you accidentally forget that you bought it (like myself, and then got the Tiny Abom the very next week /sigh) or until you have better trinkets dropped somewhere else. Spend the badges on off-set gear first ;).

TLDR - Save the badges and don't buy the trinket at all >.>.
Donahu

Postby econ21 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:30 pm

I wonder, what piece of tier 10 would you NOT get if you were offspec retribution? ie stuck with 251 level tier 10 and few if any 264 drops? I have got the chest and shoulders, about to buy something else. I was thinking of getting the gloves and skipping the legs completely but then I thought - there are presumably 264 offset gloves you can buy for frost? Whereas for the legs, the 264 failsafe alternative is crafted and I wont be splashing out for that. Maybe I should not get the tier gloves and get the 4 piece bonus from the rest, picking up frost offset gloves in due course?
econ21

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes