Remove Advertisements

Shoju's Case Study: Fresh 80 to ICC in 24 hours as DPS.

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: Shoju's Case Study: Fresh 80 to ICC in 24 hours as DPS.

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:18 am

Man, I'm surprised you let the DK roll. I would've been incredibly irritated if they had rolled.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby lythac » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:39 am

It would depend on what the DK was currently wearing I would think. If it were a significant upgrade say from a ilvl 200 blue (or lower given his axe) then it seems fair game, even though the cloak is AP based.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:42 am

From Shoju's standpoint, since he's been in there so often for that cloak and it is properly itemized for him, he was well within his right to deny the DK the roll. That being said, if he'd said no, you can't roll, chances are the DK would've done it anyway.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:18 am

Hour 19 @80
So every hour that goes by I feel the weight of ICC10 coming down on me. My failure at getting into a VoA10 group previously has me prepared for the worst. VoA is supposed to be puggable. Yet, I find myself on the oustide looking in. I head off to skin more, I'm up to 1278g. I queue for a random. I need some emblems. Second room of the cave, I get one.

H:UK
Paladin
Priest
Hunter
Death Knight
There are 2 things I notice about this dungeon.
1.) It was incredibly fast. When Ingvar dropped dead for the final time, We still had 1m 9sec on Sated that I burnt on the first boss.
2.) Despite it being fast, I was top damage done by a lot at 33.5% of the damage done. A smooth 3550 DPS for the run.

Other than that, I got what I wanted. Emblems and more emblems. I'm pretty close to the EoT trinket. I need to not be sporting the abyssal rune in ICC. With a random under my belt, I decide to try to farm up my jewelry. H:FoS, H:PoS, N:PoS, H:ToC ahoy! I finish up the cave, and start backtracking to pick up the spawns. By the time I'm at the mouth of the cave, I'm on my way into a group:

N:PoS
Death Knight
Paladin Healer
Hunter
Mage

This tank is the reason that so many people think that frost tanks Dual Wielding tank weapons produce bad threat. This guy is AWFUL. He never uses ICy Touch once through the entire instance. This is his problem. Not the Tank weapons. The fact that NO MATTER WHAT HE USES HOWLING BLAST..... Nothing drops. I'm beginning to think that the Garfrost ring on normal is a myth. I decide to hearth back to dalaran, and do some banking and AH-ing. I'm going to need to gem the rest of my gear and buy my head enchant soon, and then pay for the cuts. After that, I decide that I need a break from the cave. I queue up for a heroic, and hearth to dal, and head to Shat. If people know me, they know that I love the Illidari Trophy Tabards All of my 80's have it. I decide to run down to Shadowmoon Valley and get one. It is a nice diversion, takes about 10-13 minutes total. As I'm waiting on the final speach for quest credit. I get my Random group. I'm hoping the speach is done in time. With 4 seconds left on the clock, I'm in.

H:FoS
Warrior
Tree
Mage
Hunter

Well, I guess I don't have to queue for this today. The helm out of here is a slight upgrade, so I have been trying to run this as often as possible. Well, the helm doesn't drop. Instead we get the worthless Throwing Weapon. Then we head for the Devourer of Souls, and lose the mage. We soldier on, and 4 man Devourer of souls. Nothing I was interested in for off spec drops, so I drop group, passing on all of it. I hearth back to dalaran, and log. My hour is spent.
Shoju

Postby Shoju » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:20 am

To be honest, after inspecting the Death Knight, I have absolutely NO idea how he got in there.

Blue and green quest gear completely with the axe from 15 levels ago? How in the hell did he meet the RDF's GS to get in? If I could have done something to block his roll, or to kick him from the group, I would have. Honestly. They did <1k dps for the run (not surprising).
Shoju

Postby andx » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:29 am

Looking good. I can has updated SS of /played for authenticity plx?
Maybe I just have a disease or an addiction to tanking, my gf says I'm a masochist I say I like it rough, either way I'm a tank and I can't escape it.
andx

Postby Shoju » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:33 am

Hour 20 @ 80 - The beginning of the end. and quite possibly the best couple of dungeons I have run

Time to gem and get the head enchant. I pick up my mail and I'm up to 1622 gold. Skinning has been very good to me. I think that I might actually say it has been the best money maker gathering profession for me in recent memory (alch is still my best money maker, but that isn't gathering). I drop a cool 1200g on the gems I need. That is a steal since they are all cardinal rubies. I then find a super JC to cut them all for me for 100g. I'm down to 322gold. I hearth back to dal, and head out to Shadow Vault and buy the head enchant. I have it sitting in the bag in case I get an upgraded helm. I doubt I will, but I'm going to play it safe anyway. I head over to the Engine of the Makers in Storm Peaks. I'm going to go farming the rhinos for a change of pace. I queued for specifics during flight, and shortly after starting the farming, I get

H:TOC
Paladin tank
Paladin healer
Warrior
Priest

Why is it that people fail so utterly bad on jousting? I was doing 50% of the jousting damage, and once the 3 bosses run out, I'm eaten alive, and killed. I run back in, grab another mount, we get them down. The paladin tank says: Well that was grim. And drops. We wait a second, and get a Death Knight Tank dual wielding lollipops. Yep. N:FoS tank lollipops. Now, I will have a chance to compare hopefully. Turns out that yes. With dual tank weapons, you can do great threat. You just can't be a baddie. This tank was great. Champs drop the leather expertise boots. Everyone gives the warrior DPs a hard time for wanting them. I totally understand. I used those on Sunetra forever. The expertise is great. We then get Paeltress. We rock her. and the neck drops. I'm excited. I'm more than excited. I need. So does the warrior. I'm a little sad. I inspect the warrior, and he has the 226 neck, but it is obvious he doesn't need the hit on it. He wins. I /cry, and get ready for the next boss. During Black Knight I die. twice. I ankh'd the first death only to get jumped by a ghoul and immediately killed again. Awesome. Well, once the knight is dead, I get rezzed, and the warrior walks over to me and opens up trade. In goes the neck.

I whisper him: Are you sure!?
He says: Yes. You need this far more than I do. It is a side grade for me.

I'm stunned. A nice pugger. I thank him. I /bow /salute and make sure that when this is done, I will be thanking him in this thread. I'm now up to a smooth 4651 Gear Score. I'm pretty excited. This might be borderline for getting me in.

With 15 minutes to go in the hour, I queue for a round of specific dungeons and start looking for gold. Since I dont have a lot of time for auctions, I'm going to do the tournament dailies, and the Knights dailies. Not as much gold potential as the skinning, but should be able to get it done in an hour or so. before I get to the tournament grounds, I get a group for normal ToC. Here is hoping for a ring!

N:ToC
Paldin
tree
Boomkin
hunter

Good run, The ring dropped, thank god. and I now just 'need' one more ring. I would like to get 2 more rings, and a new head, but I'm shooting for acceptable this finished as the time ran out on this hour.

hour 21 @ 80
I'm now at the tournament grounds, and plan to do these and the knights dailies while queued. 10 min in, I get N:PoS. Here is hoping.

N:PoS
paladin
priest
paladin
warlock

Ring drops. I win. Life is amazing. after the 2 paladins get their saronite for the hilt quests, they drop group falls apart. I turn in my argent dailies, and figure I'm on a roll for drops, so H:PoS, and H:FoS here I come! H:FoS pops as I get to the onslaught dailies

H;FoS
DK
Tree
Hunter
warrior

good run, no drops. I'm a little discouraged. The normal PoS run took too long to dissolve after not getting anyone to replace the tanks, and I didnt want to just drop like a jerk. I'm out of time.

hour 22 @ 80
I finish up the scarlet onslaught dalies, turn in the rest of my dailies, and hearth to Dalaran. This is where I am currently. about 15 minutes into the 22nd hour. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, I technically have enough time to try to run one last round of dungeons, but that could SERIOUSLY eat into the time it is going to take me to get into an ICC10 run. The weekly on our realm is Flame Leviathan, so I can't even hope to cheese my way into a marrowgar kill for the weekly run. I will be updating the first post now, with all my gear, gems, and enchants. I'm hoping that it is enough for me to get into ICC10. I know that there is a pretty popular ICC25 run on saturday afternoons, but I'm hesitant to join that, because there are some of my guildies in that run, and even if I deguild before hand, i can't guarantee that they wont say something to the Raid Leader to get me in. So for now, I'm in a holding pattern, looking for ICC10 runs to try and get into.
Shoju

Postby Shoju » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:33 am

andx wrote:Looking good. I can has updated SS of /played for authenticity plx?

Will snap one when I get home tonight.
Shoju

Postby thatguy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:12 am

I took the time to write this from my iPhone because I wanted to make sure that I expressed how much I have enjoyed reading this thread. I've added it to my list of things to do. Right after I check CNN, I roll over to see what kind of antics shoju got into last night.

@ shoju

keep up the posts! I am really enjoying this and best of luck to you on your goal.
thatguy

Postby andx » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:22 am

Indeed as skeptical I was about this project I admit that I am an avid reader and always check off-specs first when I get on MTadin. Good work and GL
Maybe I just have a disease or an addiction to tanking, my gf says I'm a masochist I say I like it rough, either way I'm a tank and I can't escape it.
andx

Postby Shoju » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:35 am

andx wrote:Indeed as skeptical I was about this project I admit that I am an avid reader and always check off-specs first when I get on MTadin. Good work and GL

I'm curious. Were you as skeptical of Barathorn's Tanking Project? Why or why not?
Shoju

Postby andx » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:57 am

Shoju wrote:
andx wrote:Indeed as skeptical I was about this project I admit that I am an avid reader and always check off-specs first when I get on MTadin. Good work and GL

I'm curious. Were you as skeptical of Barathorn's Tanking Project? Why or why not?

No, because I wasn't working at that point and i usually read/post on MTadin most avidly during the summer when I'm working some boring data management job. I'm sure if I read it and got my tin foil hat on I could be just as skeptical if not even more.
andx

Postby cerwillis » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:55 am

But wtf is there to be skeptical about? The guy wanted to challenge himself while levelling a new toon, and out of the goodness of his heart, spent the time to write a diary about it.

What are you the case-study police?
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby andx » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:25 am

cerwillis wrote:But wtf is there to be skeptical about? The guy wanted to challenge himself while levelling a new toon, and out of the goodness of his heart, spent the time to write a diary about it.

Yep
andx

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:29 am

cerwillis wrote:

I loled. Because I thought the exact same thing.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes