Remove Advertisements

Shoju's Case Study: Fresh 80 to ICC in 24 hours as DPS.

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: Shoju's Case Study: Fresh 80 to ICC in 24 hours as DPS.

Postby Shoju » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:29 am

I will post it here :)

In H:Ok if you are planning to skip Jedoga Shadowseeker and the mushroom king, you normally come down the tunnel from Mr. Twilight, and hang a right. You jump off the side of the platform instead of running down the steps.

Pet classes will either need to dismiss their pet, or Eyes of the Beast the pet off the ledge. otherwise, the pet can pull the pat and or the group at the hut to the right of the bottom of the steps. As far as I know, the only pets who can get down that without pulling are a phased imp, and a prowled cat pet.
Shoju

Postby andx » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:04 am

Just for legitimacy's sake can we get a SS with your /played?
Maybe I just have a disease or an addiction to tanking, my gf says I'm a masochist I say I like it rough, either way I'm a tank and I can't escape it.
andx

Postby theckhd » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:07 am

Shoju wrote:I will post it here :)

In H:Ok if you are planning to skip Jedoga Shadowseeker and the mushroom king, you normally come down the tunnel from Mr. Twilight, and hang a right. You jump off the side of the platform instead of running down the steps.

Pet classes will either need to dismiss their pet, or Eyes of the Beast the pet off the ledge. otherwise, the pet can pull the pat and or the group at the hut to the right of the bottom of the steps. As far as I know, the only pets who can get down that without pulling are a phased imp, and a prowled cat pet.

Whenever I get OK, I kill this pat for that exact reason, unless there are no pet classes in the group. I also wait for everyone to get down before continuing, as I've seen people pull the stationary pack by accident as well. I just don't trust pet classes anymore, sadly. Killing those pats is much, much faster than wiping.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Shoju » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:08 am

@ANDX
Will do. I will get one next time I log on.
Shoju

Postby andx » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:16 am

Shoju wrote:@ANDX
Will do. I will get one next time I log on.

TY ^_^

Also your study is really showing the trolls and the heroes that make WoW a great game. Keep up the work.
Maybe I just have a disease or an addiction to tanking, my gf says I'm a masochist I say I like it rough, either way I'm a tank and I can't escape it.
andx

Postby Kelaan » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:25 am

andx wrote:Also your study is really showing the trolls and the heroes that make WoW a great game. Keep up the work.

So true. It was very refreshing to see that guy on your server invite you to Sartharion specifically because (a) he was nice and (b) some jerk was trolling you on trade chat.
Kelaan

Postby Shoju » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:33 am

Kelaan wrote:
andx wrote:Also your study is really showing the trolls and the heroes that make WoW a great game. Keep up the work.

So true. It was very refreshing to see that guy on your server invite you to Sartharion specifically because (a) he was nice and (b) some jerk was trolling you on trade chat.

I was surprised myself. Even after realizing that I knew the guy, (and then trying to make sure he didn't realize it was me), it gave me a new level of respect for the guy. He is a tank in one of the top guilds on the server, and I would never have thought he would be so cool about it. He is known more for his all out Blitz PuGs on VoA.

You have to really be Horde on Terenas to understand trade spammers. They are a bottom feeding guild, who make it a point to troll trade, troll general, and generally just be HORRID. The sad thing is, they have some great players in their guild. I don't know how they stand it. If I raid on a saturday night, one of the first things I do is shut off General. They raid ICC on Saturdays, and they troll that channel almost as bad as trade.
Shoju

Postby Chicken » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:36 am

theckhd wrote:
Shoju wrote:I will post it here :)

Whenever I get OK, I kill this pat for that exact reason, unless there are no pet classes in the group. I also wait for everyone to get down before continuing, as I've seen people pull the stationary pack by accident as well. I just don't trust pet classes anymore, sadly. Killing those pats is much, much faster than wiping.
That both explains why I never heard of it. I wasn't even aware you could jump off the side there, figured there'd be an invisible wall. Never really gave anyone much of a chance to tell me that was possible either considering I tend to pull the second the healer's in range.
Chicken

Postby Shoju » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:03 pm

hour 10 @ 80

I think I'm done queuing for specific heroics. I queue up for H:TOC, H:FoS, FoS normal, and get to doing my dailies. I realized, I can now get exalted thanks to the super awesome rep boost they put in today if I can get 1 everfrost shard, and 10 relics. Queue pops up and I'm granted:

H:ToC
DK
Tree
Lock
Paladin

Fail Fail Fail Fail Fail Fail Fail Fail and a little more fail. We wiped on jousting. Apparently 3 people didn't know you could put your shields back up. We wiped on the champs (warrior hunter mage) We wiped on the Black Knight. Luckily in all of this, I was able to get a pair of Off Spec Gloves. The Dk was an unholy tank, and was trying to tank in unholy presence because that is what presence his tree uses. The Lock was pulling ~4k dps, and the only bright spot. I'm amazed he didn't drop. The Tree was good, just undergeared and trying to heal everyone because of the tank, and the paladin... You know how sometimes you just realize that there is a 5th person in the group you don't remember? Yep. that was him.

I get out of there, head back finish up the dailies, and need 1 everfrost chip. I fly up to angrim, and there is one on the left of him. I loot it, start heading back, and it respawned! So I loot it again, and I'm half way through exalted now.

Since this was a rough hour for me, and not a lot to talk about. I present you with Screen Shots:

And another close up of my time played
Shoju

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:36 pm

These are great reads. You tell stories well.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Chasey » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:14 am

Good stuff, it sucks that people take a game this serious. To call someone out publicly because the gear wasn't up to that persons standards is tacky at best.

I hope you don't run into many of the "trade troll" stories but hang in there.
Chasey

Postby beornus » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:58 am

<]-----------------Hour 1 for the evening / 7 @ 80---------------------[>

I log on, and I'm doing a lite bit of banking/mail stuff getting ready for my "mornin' Ralph... Mornin' Sam" (cookies for the person who gets the reference :)) routine with the Dalaran Flight Master. /2 LF 2DPS for Normal ICC dungeon run. Doing all 3. PST.

This is from an old cartoon series with a sheepdog and wolf, correct? Used to punch in their timecards and go to work,

I should have kept quiet and thought a fool then to have typed and removed all doubt.
beornus
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:04 am

beornus wrote:<]-----------------Hour 1 for the evening / 7 @ 80---------------------[>

I log on, and I'm doing a lite bit of banking/mail stuff getting ready for my "mornin' Ralph... Mornin' Sam" (cookies for the person who gets the reference :)) routine with the Dalaran Flight Master. /2 LF 2DPS for Normal ICC dungeon run. Doing all 3. PST.

This is from an old cartoon series with a sheepdog and wolf, correct? Used to punch in their timecards and go to work,

And you sir, win an awesome cookie made of digital greatness. Unfortunately, this person stole your cookie:

Shoju

Postby Shoju » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:36 am

Hour 11 @ 80

I log in, and decide I'm really going to try skinning for gold and see how it works. Sholazar Basin is my logical choice. I queue for a random heroic, and say hey to Al as I fly off to sholazar basin. I secretly think I'm getting robbed everytime he gives me a lift.

By the time my taxi hits Sholzar Basin, I have a random Heroic group. Sweet.

H:CoS
Warrior tank
Paladin Healer
Mage
Boomkin

AW you have got to be kidding me. I have not been here yet so I KNOW that I'm going to have to do the quest, and that people are going to moan about it. I run up, get the quest, and start Ghost Wolfing box to box to get it done (You don't come out of Ghost Form to use the item).

Tank says, "where's the Shaman?"
I say "I'm on my way, I had a quest to do"
Healer says "... great. a newb."
Tank says, "I don't think so, his GS looked pretty good for being a newb."
I say "I've been 80 for 10 hours, I'm trying"
Tank says "10 hours and you are 4k? Man. That is some dedication right there."

Get the quest done, get the follow up, meet up in time for the 4th wave. That's right. They were hauling. Cruise through the beginning part, and on to the Mount boss. We drop it with 7 minutes on the timer. Not bad. I roll need, moonkin rolls need. Everyone gives the moonkin a hard time because he rolls need. He says that he is mounting collecting and links the achieve. Dude has 78 mounts but doesn't have the CoS drake? What kind of world is this!?

I pull 5200 DPS on Mal'ganis, and I feel pretty good.

Head back to Farmazon (as we call it on Terenas) and get to skinning. I queue for H:FOS, N:FOS, H:POS, and N:POS(*) I'm realizing, that while there is a large density of mobs here that I can skin, outside of the leather, their drops S.U.C.K. After about 15 minutes, NFoS pops.

N:FoS
An ok enough group.
Dk tank
Priest
Warrior
Hunter.

We face roll this place with little to no trouble. No one gets any drops that are useful too them. Cloth Hit gloves, Dagger, and a staff drop. It was pretty quick, pretty painless, and I pulled almost 6k on Bronjahm. I never got feared. I never got targeted for the soul thing. The hunter said that as long as whoever got the soul targeting ran across quickly, they could run back and he would take down the soul. It worked. I never saw one get even a little close. We all say thanks for the run, and move on. Oh, and this was the first time that I noticed (not saying it was the first time, just the first I noticed) the hunter Misdirecting to the tank. Every pull, and again mid pull on some of the bigger trash packs.

back in farmazon, I moved from crocs and cobras to the ape place. Maybe the apes will be better with greys that can be sold. Turns out it was better, but it still wasn't all that impressive. Not sure if I'm going to keep skinning or not. I could go start the tournament dailies, but the one to get the weapon is normally so out of the way, I have a slow mount, and didn't get a lot of flight points in northrend along the way. My hour concludes, and I hearth back to Dalaran wondering what I'm going to do. I have about 14 Heavy Borean Leather, and I'm finding that 'Globalling' mobs is just about the silliest thing I have done in this game. (run up to mob. Stormstrike mob, Windfury Procs, mob is dead before I get to do anything else)

(*)
I have realized something about my gear. I have Very specific needs to get the gear rounded out. I need

Head (not a huge need, but I would like a mail one)
Neck
Cloak
2 rings
2 trinkets
Totem
and a weapon.

My best chances at getting these things are to run:

• Normal Forge of Souls - Cloak
  • Normal Pit of Saron -Ring, Mail head (though not optimal)
  • Heroic Forge of Souls -Weapon, Mail head, Trinket (Again, not optimal, but it is better than what I'm wearing)
  • Heroic Pit of Saron -Weapon, Ring, Neck
  • Normal Halls of Reflection -Weapon

queuing for these specifically is pretty fast. Sometimes, it is even faster than the random heroic queue. I talked with another shaman last night, who said that both EoT trinkets (hit +AP) and (hit +Haste) are good for enhancement. Cool. If nothing else, I know that I can spend emblems to get them. I just don't know if I will have enough emblems in time, so I figure I will get at least one of them, and keep queuing for these specifics after running my random. I figure at the rate I'm going (2 dungeons per hour) I will have enough to get at least one trinket. So while I waffled on whether or not I should keep doing it, I think that it is my best bet to get gear at this point. The slots I mentioned are my only non 232 or better slots, and I know that some of them will peak out at 219 (ring).
Shoju

Postby andx » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:37 am

beornus wrote:
I log on, and I'm doing a lite bit of banking/mail stuff getting ready for my "mornin' Ralph... Mornin' Sam" (cookies for the person who gets the reference :)) ,

Indeed it was on Loony Toons. I like how they punched in and punched out and everything was fine when they punched out. Good times.
andx

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes