Shoju's Case Study: Fresh 80 to ICC in 24 hours as DPS.

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Shoju's Case Study: Fresh 80 to ICC in 24 hours as DPS.

Postby Shoju » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:06 pm

Background
This is a Melee DPS case study in the same vein as what Barathorn did with a tank over in the Gear Discussion Forums.

The Goal: Fresh 80 to ICC10 and kill a boss in 24 hours of play time.
The Rules:
  • I can't be towed.
  • I can't have help from my guild.
  • I can't just abuse my other character's professions. If I use them, I am providing my own mats from this study, and a market acceptable tip. (Simple things like JC, and Enchanting that are readily available in Dalaran with a trip to trade chat) If I don't have the mats, and a tip, I can't do it.
  • I have a grasp on the class after talking in trade with an enhancement shaman.
  • I have to get my own Reputation. No heirloom enchants.
  • Any gold that this character has will be earned by the character itself.

The reason that I have kept track of the journey from 70-80 is simple. In barathorn's case study, there was debate on whether or not he had left himself enough gold to work with at 80. As you can see, I spent approximately 500 gold while leveling on things for the trip, and I have 1070 gold on me when I dinged 80. This means that I was able to make 1500-1600 gold after purchasing my own Cold Weather Flying. (Oh yeah. I can't fly fast since I didn't buy it)

Below is a breakdown of what I had at each level, and at the bottom is the gear tracker. What I started with, and what it has evolved into.

<]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[>

LEVEL TRACKER

<]----------------------LEVEL 70----------------------[>
In my bags: 2 arctic fur, <stack Borean Leather, 3 nerubian chitin, 3 Icy Dragonscale
Gold: 204g
Emblems of triumph 2
Honor 1677
Sks's 2

<]----------------------LEVEL 71----------------------[>
In my bags: 2 arctic fur, <stack Borean Leather, 3 nerubian chitin, 5 Icy Dragonscale
Gold: 288g (after training.... man training hurts)
Emblems of triumph 4
Honor 1677
Sks's 2
I cleaned out my bank, and got a BoE blue while questing. I will be posting these on the AH soon to sell. I have my Leatherworking up to 379. My plan is to hit at least 400 for the profession bonus, and possibly 450 by the time I hit 80. There have been a number of patterns for sale on my realm, and the idea of getting a pattern has crossed my mind. I'm not sure how economical it is, we will see.

<]----------------------LEVEL 72----------------------[>
In my bags: 3 arctic fur, <stack Borean Leather, 3 nerubian chitin, 6 Icy Dragonscale
Gold: 644g (after training.... man training hurts)
Emblems of triumph 6
Honor 1677
Sks's 2
Leatherworking is up to 384, and I'm starting to accumulate enchanting mats at a decent pace. Auctions Sold for a total of 55g

<]----------------------LEVEL 73----------------------[>
In my bags: 3 arctic fur, <stack Borean Leather, 9 nerubian chitin, 6 Icy Dragonscale, 1 tankard o' terror, 12 infinite dust, 1 GCE, 1 sDream Shard.
Gold: 674g
Emblems of triumph 8
Honor 1677
Sks's 5
To have gone through the day, and quest and run dungeons, and get some new pieces, plus the Tankard and still make a profit was a nice thing to see. I will be looking for another tankard as I go along, but I'm now really focusing on the task at hand. My LW is 387, and my skinning seems to be stuck at 447. I finally have a 'useful' enhancement totem, and I'm surprised. My Blue quality level appropriate gear now outnumbers my green gear.

<]----------------------LEVEL 74----------------------[>
In my bags: 4 arctic fur, 2 stacks Borean Leather, 16 nerubian chitin, 6 Icy Dragonscale, 1 tankard o' terror, 37 infinite dust, 2 GCE, 1 LCE, 1 sDream Shard.
Gold: 958g
Emblems of triumph 10
Honor 1677
Sks's 5
In my old kingdom run, I ran into my first real jerk tank. Was disheartening that he blew up at me because I pulled aggro on a mob I wasn't even attacking. Sorry, if you are a tank, and my magma totem pulls aggro when I RECAST it during a trash pull, I'm not the one doing something wrong. Leatherworking is 390

<]----------------------LEVEL 75----------------------[>
In my bags: 5 arctic fur, 5 heavy borean leather , 17 nerubian chitin, 6 Icy Dragonscale, 1 tankard o' terror, 37 infinite dust, 2 GCE, 1 LCE, 1 sDream Shard.
Gold: 903g - lost gold in the amazing training costs
Emblems of triumph 14
Honor 1677
Sks's 8
LW 397

<]----------------------LEVEL 76----------------------[>
In my bags: 6 arctic fur, 30 heavy borean leather , 23 nerubian chitin, 10 Icy Dragonscale, 1 tankard o' terror, 62 infinite dust, 11 GCE, 1 sDream Shard.
Gold: 1020g
Emblems of triumph 16
Honor 1677
Sks's 12
LW 410
Decided I'm not going to run my LW up anymore. From here on out, everything will be banked to get 226/245 gear crafted at 80. there is just too much of a mat sink at this point to save and level. Had some lockboxes picked that I ahd banked, and the rogue offered to de the gear for me, and ended up DE/ing a bunch of greeens I had been saving up. Things are starting to come together, and I'm excited.

Late lvl76 edit. It has been a crazy beginning of the week, and I haven't gotten as far as I would like in levels. I did however make a list of the mats I will need to get lvl 80 gear crafted. I need:

100 icy dragonscales
20 jormungar scales
20 Arctic Fur
16 eternal water
8 eternal life
12 runed orb
12 crusader orb.

Since I don't need any leather, I decided to turn in what leather I had for Arctic fur I'm currently sitting somewhere around

14-5 Icy Dragonscales
0 Jormungar Scales
12 Arctic Fur
16 Eternal Water (bought these when i was still planning to level LW)
0 Eternal Life
0 Runed Orb
0 Crusader Orb

Runed orbs run about ~60g on my server, and a smart shopper can buy Crusader Orbs for ~75g each. Eternal life is pretty high in price right now (it runs a pretty predictable cycle). I'm hoping that while questing for the SoH I can get a decent amount of the Jormungar Scales as they are just never on the AH. I will probably start buying Icy Dragonscales when they show up as well. Dscales are normally 2g each, and jormungar scales show up at 3g in my bank toons auctioneer, I haven't seen them on though. I'm firmly over 1k gold now (flirting with 1400) and I'm shooting for 80 by the end of the weekend.

<]----------------------LEVEL 77----------------------[>
In my bags: 14 arctic fur, 0 heavy borean leather , 23 nerubian chitin, 96 Icy Dragonscale, 28 Jormungar Scale, 16 Eternal Water, 1 tankard o' terror, 62 infinite dust, 11 GCE, 1 sDream Shard.
Gold: 250g
Emblems of triumph 20
Honor 1677
Sks's 12
LW 410
I found someone who was selling LW mats really cheap. As in 1g25s for icy dragonscales (25s more than vendor) and Jorgmungar scales for 3g each. After I dinged 77, bought flight, and trained, I bought everything he had. I'm not just a few icy dragonscales, and the orbs away from having all the mats to craft my new gear. Once I get the rest of the LW mats, anything I get as skins will be sold on the AH to help supplement my gold and get me moving at 80. I do feel incredibly poor after buying the right to fly my blue gryphon in the snows of the Northrend, but I am parked in K3, and getting ready to quest it out. Plan is to really start cracking now that my portion of the raid week is finished.

<]----------------------LEVEL 78----------------------[>
In my bags: I'm now only missing 3 arctic fur from having the non orb mats for all 4 pieces of crafted gear, Tankard o Terror X1, 84 infinite dust, 1small dream, 3 dream, 14 Greater Cosmics
Gold: 533g after training.
Emblems of triumph 24
Honor 1677
Sks's 12
Powering through the Sons of Hodir line. Oh my @#)&%&%ING GOD THIS IS PAINFUL. I HATE THIS LINE. I HATE IT MORE WITHOUT EPIC FLIGHT

<]----------------------LEVEL 79----------------------[>
In my bags: I have all the mats for the 4 crafted pieces barring orbs. Tankard o Terror X1, 84 infinite dust, 1small dream, 3 dream, 14 Greater Cosmics
Gold: 944g after training.
Emblems of triumph 26
Honor 1677
Sks's 12
On the downward spiral now. Should hit 80 tomorrow.

<]----------------------LEVEL 80----------------------[>
All the mats but the orbs
tankard
84 infinite dust
7 dream shards
12 GCE
28 emblems of triumph
1070 gold.
Knights of the Ebon blade - 6592/12k honored
Sons of Hodir - 7037/21k Revered.

<]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[>

GEAR TRACKER
For a Wowhead Composite of my gear Click Here

I think I'm going to need to get REALLY close to this set of gear to have a shot at getting into ICC10 in a pug.

My Gear Score is Currently: 4838

Head:
Crusader's Coif - Upgraded to
Plunderer's Helmet - upgraded to

<]------Mask of Distant Memory----[>
Gemmed with
Relentless Eaerthsiege Diamond and
Precise Scarlet Ruby
Enchanted with
Arcanum of Torment

Neck:
Choker of Forceful Redemption - upgraded to

<]------Ancient Pendant of Arathor----[>

Shoulders:
Spaulders of Lost Secrets - Upgraded to

<]------Tier 9 ----[>
Gemmed with
Bright Cardinal Ruby
Enchanted With
Greater Inscription of the Axe

Cloak
Cloak of Holy extermination Upgraded to

<]------Accursed Crawling Cape ----[>
Enchanted with
Enchant Cloak - Greater Speed

Chest:
Dark Frostscale Chestguard Upgraded to

<]------Crusader's Dragonscale Chest ----[>
Enchanted with:
Enchant Chest - Super Stats
Gemmed with
Precise Cardinal Ruby
Bright Cardinal Ruby
Bright Cardinal Ruby

Bracers
Iskalder's fate upgraded to

<]------Crusader's Dragonscale Bracers----[>
Enchanted with
Fur Lining - Attack Power
Gemmed with
Nightmare Tear

Gloves
Dragon Stabler's Gauntlets Upgraded to

<]------Tier 9----[>
Enchanted With:
Enchant Gloves Crusher
Gemmed With:
Bright Cardinal Ruby

Belt
Giant Ring Belt Upgraded to
Cord of Swirling Winds Upgraded to

<]------Belt of Dragons----[>
Gemmed with
Precise Cardinal Ruby
Bright Cardinal Ruby
Bright Cardinal Ruby

Legs
Labyrinthine Legs Upgraded to
Azure Ringmail Leggings upgraded to

<]------Tier 9----[>
Enchanted with:
Nerubian Leg Reinforcements
Gemmed with:
Bright Cardinal Ruby
Precise Cardinal Ruby

Boots
Cleated Ice Boots Upgraded to

<]------Boots of Living Scale ----[>
Enchanted with
Enchant Boots: Icewalker
Gemmed with
Precise Cardinal Ruby
Bright Cardinal Ruby

Ring1
Ring of Indignant Rage - Upgraded to:

<]------Uruka's Band of Zeal----[>

Ring2
Ring of Foul Mojo - Upgraded to

<]------Ring of Carnelian and Bone----[>

Trinket1
Crusader's Locket upgraded to
Mark of the War Prisoner Upgraded to

<]------Mark of Supremacy----[>

Trinket2
Fezzik's Pocketwatch upgraded to

<]------ Needle Encrusted Scorpion----[>

Weapon (mh)
Hammer of Wrenching Change Upgraded to
Tankard O' Terror Upgraded to

<]------Nighttime----[>
Enchanted with
Enchant Weapon Berserking

Off Hand (oh)
Unholy Persuader Upgraded to

<]------Nighttime----[>
Enchanted with
Enchant Weapon Berserking

Totem
Totem of the Tundra need a new one.
Totem of Quaking Earth
Last edited by Shoju on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:26 am, edited 30 times in total.
Shoju

Re: Shoju's Case Study: Fresh 80 to ICC in 24 hours as DPS.

Postby amh » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:15 pm

Now this should be interesting. Will you deduct time spent in random dungeon queues from the 24 hours? Otherwise I expect this to be even more of a challenge. :)
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Pizbit » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:51 pm

amh wrote:Now this should be interesting. Will you deduct time spent in random dungeon queues from the 24 hours? Otherwise I expect this to be even more of a challenge. :)

Yeah this was my first consideration, the extra time spent in the LFG queue.
You could farm or complete quests for gold while you're queuing however to double book the time and narrow the difference between DPS and Tank.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Shoju » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:05 pm

Yes. The plan is that when it shows my time played to equal 1 day at 80, I will be in a raid. That means, I'm going to be farming quests, farming rep, farming LW mats while I sit in the queue as only dps spec.

The hardest part of this is going to be getting weapons. Weapons are the most important roadblock for a melee trying to get into ICC10. I have 2 options at the 232 level, and I'm hesitant to go after the maces in H:HoR. that could be catostrophic to my time, leaving a pair of nighttime's, or nighttime in OH, Seven Fingered Claw MH, or lucky RBotW runs as the only way to get the best weapons I can. Because honestly, if I were to see a hilt, I would be selling it.
Shoju

Postby Palmela » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:22 pm

If you will be farming quests and make enough money to buy the tankards o' terror I believe they are pretty good for enhance, thats if you can even find them on your server anymore.
Palmela

Postby Shoju » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:37 am

The questing experience, as DPS

I've leveled as DPS before. My paladin was ret for the majority of Wrath, and then I leveled a mage and a hunter. This is different. I have elected to not remove my character from my guild, as I'm an officer, and a lot of times while I play, I am the only officer. I have had a chance to talk to people while I'm working on this, and people don't seem to understand what I'm hoping to accomplish. They have said:

you have plenty of gold, you have plenty of friends who would tow you anywhere that you want to go, so what is the point of forcing myself to do this without that help?

Because the point is to see how this works for a new person playing the game. While leveling, I am taking advantage of the heirlooms as they will help me get to the 'real' beginning of this case study. I also realized though, they will limit me a little more than a new player as well. The experience boost through Northrend is not an insignificant amount, which means that when I hit 80, I will have had less time leveling, less time to do quests, less time to acquire gold for end game.

Because I'm a fairly Nub Enhancement shaman, I spent a little time in org after training 71 trolling trade for some help. While trolling, I put myself in completely non heirloom gear so that I really looked like a new player. I didn't want to be treated like an end game raider on an alt, I wanted to be treated like a newb to the game. my call was:

/2 LF capped Enhance shaman for some pointers.

After about 20 minutes, I found a nice shaman who answered questions, explained why i see Enhancement shaman gemmed incredibly bizarre, and gave me some pointers. After we talked about how to play, he asked what I wanted to do at 80.

I said: I want to get into ICC as soon as possible.

So we talked about professions. I told him what I had, and he said that I should focus on getting Leatherworking to 400 for the cheaper Leg armors and the wrist enchant. He then said that I should skin myself ragged until I had all the mats to craft as much gear as I could. He said that it would be pretty easy to take care of my Chest - Bracers - Belt - and Boots for ICC if I just made sure I had all the mats when I hit 80. He even said that when I hit 80, and I have the non orb mats, to get ahold of him, and he would sell me the orbs, and craft everything for me.

He told me not to enchant any of my gear while leveling. He said that as I level and run dungeons, I would be getting plenty of enchanting mats, and that I should hold them until I get to 80. To stockpile them along with the mats for my crafted gear. He said that the only gear he would think about enchanting would be blue weapons that I got after I hit 75 or 76, as they would be what I would be starting heroics in.

I said I was worried about gold. I had ~400 gold on me after questing, and I had a few things on the Auction House. He believed me that I was knew to the game, and told me to level my leatherworking to 425 then, and work to make gold by selling Leg armors on the Auction House. He said just by leveling in Sholazar Basin I should be able to make several thousand gold by selling leg armors, but to make sure that I only crafted them after I had the mats for my own gear.

Truly a nice guy. I have friended him, and will take him up on the offer of crafting me the gear at 80.

He explained to me that GS was going to be the problem, and that people would be hard on me at 80 for it, but just to keep quiet, keep moving and prove that I could get the dps.

When I logged in this morning to check my auctions, I had a mail from him, with a couple of macros.

Why in the world aren't there more people out there like this? This is truly the first person i found in the game who was willing to take 25 minutes of time to help a newb.

So back I went to borean tundra. I have all the quests for Nexus ready to go the next time I'm in there, and I'm getting ready to start the murloc lines. My goal is going to be a level a day whenever possible, more if I can squeeze it out. I haven't set a target date for being 80 yet, but I'm hoping that I can get there sooner than later. After my talk with the Shaman, my plan is to hit Borean Tundra, Dragonblight, Zul'drak (to get a jump start on reps), Sholazar Basin, and then Storm Peaks for the Sons of Hodir, and Icecrown for the Knights of the Ebon blade. I don't know how far I will be questing in each zone, but those are the zones I plan to hit.
Shoju

Postby Shyrtandros » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:06 pm

Shoju wrote:The questing experience, as DPS

So back I went to borean tundra. I have all the quests for Nexus ready to go the next time I'm in there, and I'm getting ready to start the murloc lines. My goal is going to be a level a day whenever possible, more if I can squeeze it out. I haven't set a target date for being 80 yet, but I'm hoping that I can get there sooner than later. After my talk with the Shaman, my plan is to hit Borean Tundra, Dragonblight, Zul'drak (to get a jump start on reps), Sholazar Basin, and then Storm Peaks for the Sons of Hodir, and Icecrown for the Knights of the Ebon blade. I don't know how far I will be questing in each zone, but those are the zones I plan to hit.

You should be able to leave out Sholazar if your doing most / all quests for the zones you've listed + doing some dungeons. You shouldn't need to visit more than the other 5 zones from 70-80. :)

edit due to my unability to count on a monday
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Kelaan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:48 pm

Shoju wrote:/2 LF capped Enhance shaman for some pointers.

After about 20 minutes, I found a nice shaman who answered questions ... and gave me some pointers.

Why in the world aren't there more people out there like this? This is truly the first person i found in the game who was willing to take 25 minutes of time to help a newb.

This is really interesting. I like your insight about how heirloom bear slows down leveling, and thereby reduces gold gained on the way to 80. (OTOH, more quests to do at 80 == gold too.) Good question about Nice People, though. I try to be one, but have nearly never seen anyone ASK. I'm decently knowledgeable about paladin tanking (lol), passably so about DK, and also bear, and yet I've noticed that:

- Skilled/informed people don't need to ask, because they're already good (enough).
- Unskilled people almost never realize that they are, and so think they are made of awesome, when in reality they can't hold threat, or let their healing charge die, or are doing less damage than a bored healer.
- Some people are too lazy to play, let alone ask to get better. (I'm looking at that warrior who only used Thunderclap, or the hunter who only used autoshot.)

If someone were to ask me for help, I'd be glad to. Unfortunately, I rarely have general or trade chat open, so never see those, and one of the (IMO few) down-sides of the RDF is that I can't chat with people after the run is over. I at times try to give advice, when I see tanks Doing It Wrong to an extreme degree, but it's very difficult to not come across as a jerk. (After all, I'm effectively saying "let me tell you all the ways you fail at tanking", but trying to say it nicely.)
Kelaan

Postby Shoju » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:19 am

Shyrtandros wrote:
Shoju wrote:The questing experience, as DPS

You should be able to leave out Sholazar if your doing most / all quests for the zones you've listed + doing some dungeons. You shouldn't need to visit more than the other 5 zones from 70-80. :)

edit due to my unability to count on a monday

As a skinner looking to make money, because I'm poor, I just can't see leaving this zone out. No other zone in the game is going to have as high a density of high level skinnable mobs that I kill on a regular basis.
Shoju

Postby Hammerhelm » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:50 am

I enjoyed reading about Barathorn's experiment very much, and I'm very excited about your's, too. One pointer about your setup, though:

Shoju wrote:I have elected to not remove my character from my guild, as I'm an officer, and a lot of times while I play, I am the only officer.

I guess you have thought it through, but depending on your guild's reputation, this might have a big impact on what you experience once you've hit 80, in both positive and negative ways...
Hammerhelm

Postby Shoju » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:01 am

Hammerhelm wrote:I enjoyed reading about Barathorn's experiment very much, and I'm very excited about your's, too. One pointer about your setup, though:

Shoju wrote:I have elected to not remove my character from my guild, as I'm an officer, and a lot of times while I play, I am the only officer.

I guess you have thought it through, but depending on your guild's reputation, this might have a big impact on what you experience once you've hit 80, in both positive and negative ways...

That is true. Once I reach 80, I will deguild him to get the full pug treatment.
Shoju

Postby lythac » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:12 am

Shoju wrote:
Hammerhelm wrote:I enjoyed reading about Barathorn's experiment very much, and I'm very excited about your's, too. One pointer about your setup, though:

That is true. Once I reach 80, I will deguild him to get the full pug treatment.

Are you after the new to 80 PuG treatment or new to 80? I always thought a lot of new players join -

[trade][Random Paladin] <Guild with hilariousness name> are a social, PvP and progression raiding guild looking for more Healers (not Paladins) and Tanks to raid. Starting ICC this week!!

Stay for a week or 2 whilst they get pestered for instant dungeon queues and then blanket apply for guilds.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Kelaan » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:17 am

Shoju wrote:Once I reach 80, I will deguild him to get the full pug treatment.

With the random dungeon finder, it will pair you with pretty much anyone. In a large enough server pool, the chances of encountering someone on your sever, let alone one who cares about your guild tag enough to alter your experience, seems pretty slim. Your experience will be affected much more by the fact that you'll not be playing like a complete idiot. :)
Kelaan

Postby Shoju » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:32 pm

Half way to 73, and I had a moment that deserved a mention. I just finished playing for a bit, and hearthed to dal to do some leatherworking. When I zone in to dalaran, I see

/2 WTS Tankard o' Terror 220g PST

I whispered to see if he had two. Sadly, he only had one. But, I had worked myself up to 800g, and felt that this was definitely a worthwhile chance to take.

First piece of gear towards ICC down. I feel pretty good in seeing that.
Shoju

Postby Hammerhelm » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:08 am

Kelaan wrote:With the random dungeon finder, it will pair you with pretty much anyone. In a large enough server pool, the chances of encountering someone on your sever, let alone one who cares about your guild tag enough to alter your experience, seems pretty slim. Your experience will be affected much more by the fact that you'll not be playing like a complete idiot. :)

Well, getting into Icecrown consists of two crucial parts. One is the badge grind. I agree, a guild tag won't have a big impact here. But in the end, this is a no-brainer. It's just time and luck. The more tricky part is actually getting invited to an ICC PuG. And this is where a guild tag might come into play.
Hammerhelm

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes