Healadin: stat values? any maths?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Healadin: stat values? any maths?

Postby econ21 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:50 am

I have geared up my holy offspec to around 251 level but started realising I have a weak grasp of how to trade-off stats. As a consequence, I have probably missed a few slot bonuses I should have picked up and probably made a few bad enchant decisions (on chest going for mana over mp5 and on bracers neglecting sp). Reading around, there seems to be a fair degree of consensus, roughly: gem intelligence after activating meta; pick haste gear - preferably with mp5 rather than crit; and go for highest item level enchants. But when thinking of whether to pick up stat bonuses or what trinkets to go for, I am on shakey ground. Is there any maths to guide this? Or is like avoidance vs EH for protection: you are comparing apples and pears (and pears are better). I.e. there is throughput and regen, and there is no clear formula to trade one off against the other.

Looking at some of the stat values from various sources, if we take intelligence to be 100, this is what I have found:

Code: Select all
                 RAWR       Wowhead      Maxdps        EJ Pawn
Crit:              44          46         67            27
Haste:             41          35         87            52 
SP:                66          56        137            37
MP5:              111          88         82            89

Where RAWR are the stat values the program gives for my (251 average) gear using the parameters recommended by the Elitist Jerks healadin sticky and EJ Pawn are the values for Pawn also recommended in another sticky at Elitist Jerks. Maxdps values are after setting a large weight on HL rather than FoL. It should be born in mind that MP5 is twice as expensive as normal stats in item levels, while SP is a little cheaper.

As you can see, the stats from these different sources are rather all over the place. Intelligence does appear the stronger stat - for its costs - for all except maxdps; but beyond that, there is little agreement. The RAWR ones are in theory attractive - as they come from modelling rather than judgement - but contradict the received wisdom (ie to prioritise haste gear). The EJ Pawn values seem closest to the received wisdom.

Any thoughts? At the moment, I don't heal much except sometimes in ICC10 and 25 normal, and VoA. I have not encountered any particular problems with my gear (my 34k unbuffed mana pool seems ample for what I do), although I am attracted to haste as although healing is not supposed to be reactive, sometimes you do scramble for a quick big heal.
econ21

Re: Healadin: stat values? any maths?

Postby Shoju » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:53 am

I'm not sure about trade offs so much, but as a 10m raider, I value them in this order:

Int
Haste
MP5
Crit
Spellpower

Why? Because the spellpower is going to be there. I'm not going to look at the spellpower as much as I am the other stats. Spellpower increases each tier, and is the same on each piece. I make 99% of my decisions based on the allocation of other stats, and really, I have a hard time justifying MP5 that high, as in the content I run, going oom hasn't happened in a very long time.
Shoju

Postby Fazon » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:17 am

Likewise no maths, but personally.

Int
Haste
Crit
SellP
MP5

Int = win! end.

haste coz every other healer has better instant casting. My FoL is semi instant with 850 haste :D

Crit is there because I want to rely on FoL crits. Casting Holy wastes mana coz it normally overheals and it takes too damn long. Obviously Holy has its place and time, but alot of the time it doesnt. FoL is my mainstain healing spell.

SpellP is bleh really, I have enough (3k) from armour and forced enchants where there is no other viable option. I don't gem SP ever.

MP5 is more bleh. Divine Plea/Improved Lay on Hands Glyph/Divine Illume/BoW mana just shouldnt be an issue. I dont gem mp5 ever.
Fazon

Postby Shoju » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:39 am

I will say that I generally match socket colors at this point in the healing game. I think I only have 2 pieces left in my healing gear that don't get the socket bonus, and that is because the socket bonuses are just that effing terrible.

Yellow - Int
Red - Spellpower / INT
Blue - INT/MP5

Granted, I only heal 10 mans, so my needs might be a little different than if you are intending to heal 25 mans. For me though, I'm going for overall effectiveness anymore as I sit at 32k mana unbuffed in pure 10 man gear, with 2800 spellpower, 35% crit, and just under 700 haste. The only thing that I could use more of would be haste. Must lower GCD.
Shoju

Postby Kedon » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:35 pm

Shoju wrote:The only thing that I could use more of would be haste. Must lower GCD.

You are already over the haste soft cap, though admittedly you might not have all haste buffs present on 10 man.

And I always think more of lowering Holy Light cast time rather than the GCD, but I mostly heal heroic 25s when needed. Going full intellect still, though it's a bit silly since we probably don't have enough Replenishment sources when I need to heal. D:

As for stat values, there's no need to make it too complex. Mostly I just look at the intellect and haste. Mp5 > Crit, but if a crit piece gives me more int / haste I'll use that. I'm way over haste cap, at like 900ish haste and I could switch to some 277 pieces without haste, but faster Holy Light casts are really nice.
Kedon

Postby Shoju » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:30 pm

Kedon wrote:
Shoju wrote:The only thing that I could use more of would be haste. Must lower GCD.

You are already over the haste soft cap, though admittedly you might not have all haste buffs present on 10 man.

And I always think more of lowering Holy Light cast time rather than the GCD, but I mostly heal heroic 25s when needed. Going full intellect still, though it's a bit silly since we probably don't have enough Replenishment sources when I need to heal. D:

As for stat values, there's no need to make it too complex. Mostly I just look at the intellect and haste. Mp5 > Crit, but if a crit piece gives me more int / haste I'll use that. I'm way over haste cap, at like 900ish haste and I could switch to some 277 pieces without haste, but faster Holy Light casts are really nice.

Well, when i get cranked up, Holy Light is... close to 1.5 seconds, but, like you said, in 10 mans I don't normally get all the haste buffs.
Shoju

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes