Remove Advertisements

[Mage PvE]Spec for running heroics as a fresh 80 Mage

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [Mage PvE]Spec for running heroics as a fresh 80 Mage

Postby Amirya » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:27 am

Gracerath wrote:Frost can be fun for 5 mans (and thats about all its useful for) but it doesn't even compare to what arcane can do. Personally I think that people play frost to be seen as unique, not because it performs particularly well over other PvE mage specs.

I've raided as Frost in ToC10 and even in ICC 10. I was running either top dps, or 2nd. And this is when I was tracking boss kills only (for trash packs, I won hands down, every single time).

I play Frost because I love playing Frost. And I do more damage than Arcane presently, even following the cookie cutter spec/rotation (though, this, I assume, has more to do with having to trade spellpower for hit). I also play Frost because the other mages in my raid play Arcane, and I almost ALWAYS hear, "I'm OOM!" while I say, "I'm still at 90% mana." So I help them by providing replenishment because we never have replenishment in our raids.

If I wanted to be unique, I'd spec 0/20/51 or some such nonsense.

Besides, it's just fun to see a Deep Freeze hit a boss for 35k.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Gracerath » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:01 pm

I also play Frost because the other mages in my raid play Arcane, and I almost ALWAYS hear, "I'm OOM!" while I say, "I'm still at 90% mana."

That is why you do more dps than them. They are bad arcane mages. Who runs out of mana as arcane? I've gone oom once and that was because of poor play on my part. Proper managing of your mana gems / evocation / watching your AB stacks and you'll never be out of mana before the fight ends. If you run oom as the boss dies, you did it right. If you're out of mana any time before, you got more work to do. (Personally, I play fire now and enjoy it a bit more)

I'm not saying frost is bad. Its just not going to be good for the bleeding edge. Not many of us are there, I know I'm not, so it doesn't particularly matter. I'm alway an advocate of playing what you enjoy. But don't pretend that just cause the arcane mages you run with aren't good makes frost great. (Seeing 35k deep freeze hits IS fun, I do admit)
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Amirya » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:43 pm

Gracerath wrote:That is why you do more dps than them. They are bad arcane mages. Who runs out of mana as arcane? I've gone oom once and that was because of poor play on my part. Proper managing of your mana gems / evocation / watching your AB stacks and you'll never be out of mana before the fight ends. If you run oom as the boss dies, you did it right. If you're out of mana any time before, you got more work to do. (Personally, I play fire now and enjoy it a bit more)

I'm not saying frost is bad. Its just not going to be good for the bleeding edge. Not many of us are there, I know I'm not, so it doesn't particularly matter. I'm alway an advocate of playing what you enjoy. But don't pretend that just cause the arcane mages you run with aren't good makes frost great. (Seeing 35k deep freeze hits IS fun, I do admit)

I don't believe I was saying frost is great. You made the statement that you believe people play frost to be unique.

And then I also realised just now I should have clarified - I know Arcane is overall higher dps than Frost, but when I play Arcane on cookie cutter, I am terrible at it.

Also, I would never raid bleeding edge as a frost mage.

I'd be a protection paladin. :D
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:17 pm

No spec of mage should run OOM if they manage their shit properly. No spec of mage is a MASSIVE difference in raid dps over another.

Good player >>> Good spec.
Invisusira

Postby Rhiannon » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:51 pm

Eh, well the top frost mages on world of logs are pulling a whopping 12-13k on Festergut heroic vs Fireball pulling 19-20k. I'd consider that fairly massive. Unfortunately there's a bit of bias in the data, as those who have access to the best gear are more likely to be playing the top DPS spec, even if it's only top by a small amount, so the average gear and skill level of the players producing the top frost parses is probably going to be a bit lower than those producing the top fireball parses, but still when one spec's producing 50%+ more damage than another, you can't say there's hardly any difference in the specs.
Rhiannon

Postby Gracerath » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:24 am

Heh because of this thread I actually tried a frost spec for a couple of fights in ICC25 and it was not...good. It was 2-4k dps lower than what I get in fire or arcane. That seems pretty massive at my gear/skill level. However, it did perform decently in 5 mans so yeah. It was fun to mix things up a bit though. Who doesn't like something new every now and then?
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby vertinog » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:35 am

Because of this thread I will be starting a mage after my shaman hits 80 (probably next week). Mages are the bane of my WoW existence, I say this because every time I start a mage I quit wow by the time they reach level 30. Hopefully the BOA chest and shoulders will help with the matter.
vertinog

Postby Palmela » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:29 pm

vertinog wrote:Because of this thread I will be starting a mage after my shaman hits 80 (probably next week). Mages are the bane of my WoW existence, I say this because every time I start a mage I quit wow by the time they reach level 30. Hopefully the BOA chest and shoulders will help with the matter.

Do it before Cata when you can still AoE grind through most of Azeroth, Blizzard is taking away Blizzard (?) until mages reach 50. AoE if done correctly for leveling is amazing, do quests where you need to grind melee mobs and win.
Palmela

Previous

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes