Remove Advertisements

PVE Warrior Leveling (lvl 60) Spec?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

PVE Warrior Leveling (lvl 60) Spec?

Postby andx » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:00 am

Hey guys,

My warrior just hit lvl 60 and I'm wondering if I should stay prot or go fury or arms? I enjoy outlands so I'll be questing my way through it rather than randoming. What is the best spec to use? Last time I leveled a warrior from 60-70 was probably three years ago so things have changed.

Thanks,
Andy
Maybe I just have a disease or an addiction to tanking, my gf says I'm a masochist I say I like it rough, either way I'm a tank and I can't escape it.
andx

Re: PVE Warrior Leveling (lvl 60) Spec?

Postby Jedah » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:42 am

The good news is that all three specs are pretty viable right now.

The bad news is, I'm not sure there exists a definitive answer that you're looking for.

I would personally go fury, considering the significant self-healing you can get from using Glyph of Bloodthirst.
Jedah

Postby andx » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:14 am

Jedah wrote:The good news is that all three specs are pretty viable right now.

The bad news is, I'm not sure there exists a definitive answer that you're looking for.

I would personally go fury, considering the significant self-healing you can get from using Glyph of Bloodthirst.

Ok i was trying fury out last night and i feel like i'm rage starved. Could be my lack of hit? Also i'm used to feral dps so i feel like i'm forgetting to press buttons when i'm not waiting for WW and BT to come off cd and i dont have HS queued up. I have WW and cleave glyph atm for randoms because most of the fights are aoe in instances. It pulls decent numbers (6-700 dps) single target for the level, but it feels really weird not having to up keep so many things.
Maybe I just have a disease or an addiction to tanking, my gf says I'm a masochist I say I like it rough, either way I'm a tank and I can't escape it.
andx

Postby Epimer » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:22 am

I levelled through Outlands in one weekend as Prot. It's a pretty efficient levelling spec (as I'm sure you've found out by now), because you're not taking too much damage (especially if you use Shockwave/Concussion Blow/Spell Reflect to neuter hard hitters) and can get by on the occasional bandage in between Enraged Regeneration cooldowns.

I tried Arms and Fury; Arms killed stuff faster than Prot but wasn't nearly do durable, and Fury bored me to tears, self-healing or no self-healing. I didn't have dual spec, either, so Prot levelling removed the random factor of the frankly awful tanks that are standard fare while doing dungeons while levelling.
Epimer

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:23 am

There isn't really a definitive answer as it depends on the gear you have available and what you most enjoy. My War was Prot up until about 40 when I got the heirloom 2h axe and went Arms the rest of the way. Arms can be fun, but it's got more downtime than Fury due to zero self healing. Prot is just straight effective no matter what.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Amirya » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:06 pm

I'll add my vote for Prot. My warrior was supposed to be another melee dps, and I planned to go from Arms to Fury. But once I hit 60 and tried out Shockwave, and found out how stupid easy it was to live as Prot...I levelled that way.

And it remains my main spec.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby vertinog » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:59 am

Amirya wrote:I'll add my vote for Prot. My warrior was supposed to be another melee dps, and I planned to go from Arms to Fury. But once I hit 60 and tried out Shockwave, and found out how stupid easy it was to live as Prot...I levelled that way.

And it remains my main spec.

On my old warrior I leveled him as prot from 65 to 72 as prot. Loved the fact that I didn't have much, if any, down time. Switched to fury and loved the killing power but hated that I had to sit to eat very often. Granted he didn't have any glyphs at the time but I ended up switching back to prot. The amount of time I gained from killing mobs was off set by how often I had to sit down and in the end prot was just as fast at completing quests and leveling in general.
vertinog

Postby Pizbit » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:07 pm

Prot via LFG else Fury using Glyph of Bloodthirst, although if you have 2x healing on KB BoA trinkets you could do without.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Jedah » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:17 am

I'm not sure why you're having rage problems leveling as fury, but here's what I did:

start with victory rush, use bloodthirst on cooldown, whirlwind when you have the rage, don't use heroic strike.

If you are doing that and still don't have any rage, you're probably seriously lacking hit/exp. If you have any gear with sockets, pop some 20 hit or 20 expertise gems in there, it will probably do more for you than STR at this point.
Jedah

Postby andx » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:38 am

Jedah wrote:I'm not sure why you're having rage problems leveling as fury, but here's what I did:

start with victory rush, use bloodthirst on cooldown, whirlwind when you have the rage, don't use heroic strike.

If you are doing that and still don't have any rage, you're probably seriously lacking hit/exp. If you have any gear with sockets, pop some 20 hit or 20 expertise gems in there, it will probably do more for you than STR at this point.

Yeah but thats only like 2buttons to press so i should just wait around for one to come off cd then? sounds boring. I went prot got to 68 in 2 days. Hello northrend
andx

Postby andx » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:38 am

Jedah wrote:I'm not sure why you're having rage problems leveling as fury, but here's what I did:

Yeah but thats only like 2buttons to press so i should just wait around for one to come off cd then? sounds boring. I went prot got to 68 in 2 days. Hello northrend
andx

Postby ryan4nayr » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:44 am

My fury warrior had very little issues with rage as well when leveling.

Using a /castsequence macro to Charge -> TC -> Berserker Stance which gave me a bit of initial rage. (Paired that with an Execute macro that switched me back to Battle Stance when [nocombat] due to no more bad guys left standing so I'm ready to kill again)

Also cast Berserker Rage on cooldown. I pulled 2-4 mobs at a time whenever possible which allowed Berserker Rage CD to expire just as last bad guy hits the dirt. Also meant getting hit more, but that's why we wear plate; obviously not something I'd do when facing elites. Having 2+ mobs around me also maximized WW dmg.

My friend just started playing the game and she can't handle my mass of mobs approach :lol: Needless to say, she's playing Arms and very happy with the proc-based gameplay.
ryan4nayr

Postby Kelaan » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:30 pm

ryan4nayr wrote:I pulled 2-4 mobs at a time whenever possible ... that's why we wear plate. Having 2+ mobs around me also maximized WW dmg.

Warriors really emphasize the fine line of "too many to survive" and "maximized rage efficiency" ;)
Kelaan

Postby ryan4nayr » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:13 pm

Kelaan wrote:
ryan4nayr wrote:I pulled 2-4 mobs at a time whenever possible ... that's why we wear plate. Having 2+ mobs around me also maximized WW dmg.

Warriors really emphasize the fine line of "too many to survive" and "maximized rage efficiency" ;)

lol It's obvious I play a prot paly, I play my other melee toons the same way. BTW, I do have an oh-shte macro -- equips sword+board then switches to defensive stance.

I was only able to kill 2-4 melee mobs at a time with HFP (outlands) gear and onwards. That fine line becomes irrelevant when gear enables these shenanigans.
ryan4nayr

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes