Remove Advertisements

[Priest] Shadow - PVE

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Priest] Shadow - PVE

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:47 am

Quick question: Is Shadow Word: Death ever used in a shadow priest's rotation? Maxdps seems to indicate it's not used.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Re: [Priest] Shadow - PVE

Postby blakk » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:48 am

Nikachelle wrote:Quick question: Is Shadow Word: Death ever used in a shadow priest's rotation? Maxdps seems to indicate it's not used.

it's not used for stand and burn kills. but when movement comes in you may use it because it's instant.
blakk

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:53 am

Exactly the answer I was looking for. Thank you!
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby hoho » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:54 am

depends on gear level. At T7 level it's useful to cast when some nuke/dot needs refreshing soon but 2-tick flay takes longer than needed. At t10 with 4p set you'll be better off with full mind flay. On movement just use SWD and if you have the mana spam DP for the imp. DP damage or refresh SWP on other targets.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby cerwillis » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:45 am

Gonna hijack the thread for an am-i-doin-it-rite question. I'm almost 74 and my rotation is DP, VT, SWP, MB, MF; refresh DOTs or MB on CD. Is this the right idea for a single target rotation?

Thnx
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby hoho » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:04 am

How fast that target dies? Normal mobs generally go down with just VT+SWP, 5-man stuff is best to dot everything that moves and spam flay/MB. For bosses that live >1min get 5 stacks of shadow weaving before casting SWP or you'll loose a bit of damage on it.
Leap of Faith:
hoho

Postby blakk » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:35 am

It really doesn't matter too much how you open up. Just get 5 shadow weaving before swp. You can even mind flay 3 ticks then 2 for the stacks (used to process trinkets for your hard hitters) or stack your dots quickly and mind blast with mind flay ticks to get to 5. They usually do the same damage.
blakk

Postby Shoju » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:04 pm

cerwillis wrote:Gonna hijack the thread for an am-i-doin-it-rite question. I'm almost 74 and my rotation is DP, VT, SWP, MB, MF; refresh DOTs or MB on CD. Is this the right idea for a single target rotation?

Thnx

When I was leveling my priest, it was this:

target 1: VT - DP - SWP

Tab to target 2: VT - SWP - MB

Psychic Scream Tab to new targets coming in from the scream: Repeat first two mob spell sequences. Normally, in the world, you are able to grind them down AoE dotting style. If you are talking about in an instance, that looks like it will work.
Shoju

Postby Torquemada » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:27 pm

If I pull multiple mobs, I do what Shoju listed. My Spriest hit 59 this morning. I do generally prefer to single pull mobs, as it seems to make my mana last longer between drinking. Not sure if that's accurate or I'm doing it wrong, however.
Torquemada

Postby hoho » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:20 am

Before L60 and dispersion your mana might be a bit lowish if you don't have much spirit on your gear. If you can keep spirit tap up for a reasonable amount of time it shouldn't be too bad though. If your +spellpower is high enough for mobs to die to SWP+VT then there is no point in using any other spells. If it's not high enough then use mind flay when nothing is beating you or blast if there is. Yes, they'll beat on you a bit but imp. VE will be enough to keep you alive. Also, fear = extra mana spent and you'll have to run after corpses more.

For single target it depends how long they live. If it's more than 2-3 mins then don't put SWP up before 5 stacks of shadow weaving, if they die faster get it up asap together with other dots. From there just keep mind blast on cooldown, dots running and flay if nothing else to do. Don't ever have a dot land before it has finished ticking, it's better to have it land 1s after the last tick than 1s before. Also, there is generally no point in refreshing a dot if the mob dies in 10s or less.
Leap of Faith:
hoho

Postby Shoju » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:32 am

hoho wrote:Before L60 and dispersion your mana might be a bit lowish if you don't have much spirit on your gear. If you can keep spirit tap up for a reasonable amount of time it shouldn't be too bad though. If your +spellpower is high enough for mobs to die to SWP+VT then there is no point in using any other spells. If it's not high enough then use mind flay when nothing is beating you or blast if there is. Yes, they'll beat on you a bit but imp. VE will be enough to keep you alive. Also, fear = extra mana spent and you'll have to run after corpses more.

For single target it depends how long they live. If it's more than 2-3 mins then don't put SWP up before 5 stacks of shadow weaving, if they die faster get it up asap together with other dots. From there just keep mind blast on cooldown, dots running and flay if nothing else to do. Don't ever have a dot land before it has finished ticking, it's better to have it land 1s after the last tick than 1s before. Also, there is generally no point in refreshing a dot if the mob dies in 10s or less.

I was normally chain pulling 6-8 mobs going around and just Dotting the landscape. I rarely looted unless I was on a get x drops quest.
Shoju

Postby Pizbit » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:00 pm

blakk wrote:It really doesn't matter too much how you open up. Just get 5 shadow weaving before swp. You can even mind flay 3 ticks then 2 for the stacks (used to process trinkets for your hard hitters) or stack your dots quickly and mind blast with mind flay ticks to get to 5. They usually do the same damage.

I thought sw:p got recalculated each time MF refreshed it?
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Levantine » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:37 pm

For Spellpower and Haste yes. For % damage modifiers like Shadow Weaving and BQL's Bite, no. It's the reason Shadow Priests and Affliction Warlocks are often the best choice for a Rogue's first tricks if the tank doesn't need it.
Levantine

Postby Pizbit » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:44 pm

Levantine wrote:For Spellpower and Haste yes. For % damage modifiers like Shadow Weaving and BQL's Bite, no. It's the reason Shadow Priests and Affliction Warlocks are often the best choice for a Rogue's first tricks if the tank doesn't need it.

Ahh cheers for clearing that up, I'd recalled those changes but hadn't realised they didn't include the percentage modifiers.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby hoho » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:27 am

Levantine wrote:For Spellpower and Haste yes.
SWP doesn't scale with haste at all. It also doesn't get refreshed with your crit. So you can pre-pot wild magic and cast SWP and keep that +200 crit on it for as long as SWP doesn't drop.
Leap of Faith:
hoho

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes