Remove Advertisements

[PVE] Combat Rogue

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[PVE] Combat Rogue

Postby Vorianloken » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:43 am

So I got my rogue to 80 now and it's pretty fun with all the cooldowns and stuff.

My question is, should I be running an SnD/Evis cycle or SnD/Rupture/Evis cycle? It seems that unless I get lucky with the SS glyph procs then it's a pain to keep the latter rotation going. Does it get better at higher gear levels once my crit improves significantly or it's a wash?

On trash mobs, should I bother keeping SnD up and spam FoK or just spam FoK? At the moment I do the former so I can use CP procs to spam FoK more.

On the topic of T9 bonuses, how good is the 4pc? This is my 4th 80 and won't be going for T10 gear for a goooood while so I am not worried about that. Should I be using 2pc with offset badge gear or go for the 4pc bonus?

EJ doesn't seem to have a thread on combat other than spreadsheets and the official forums thread seems like it hasn't been updated in a good while.
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Re: [PVE] Combat Rogue

Postby Levantine » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:05 am

Most Rogues will give you the same answer as most Hunters when you ask a question regarding gear.

i.e. Spreadsheet it and see.

T9 is horribly average for Rogues though from what I remember hearing from guildies back in the day. I think most just went 2pc and offset.

If the trash lives a reasonable amount of time rolling a SnD will be higher dps as well iirc.
Levantine

Postby Vorianloken » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:02 am

Anyone have links to rogue sites where I can go to for current information on combat rogues?
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby Dorvan » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:49 pm

http://elitistjerks.com/f78/

It's dense, but it's got the best info you'll find anywhere. Start with:

http://elitistjerks.com/f78/t37183-pock ... ted_3_3_a/

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Rhiannon » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:22 pm

Rupture - most of the time, not worth bothering with. Fights where it's worth using are fights where rupture will tick full duration and you have mangle/trauma present. So not heroics generally, maybe VoA, few fights in ICC, assuming you have an arms warrior (highly unlikely nowadays) or feral druid. And it's only worth using if glyphed and specced for it. So generally, I just wouldn't bother, in most cases it'd be a dps loss over an evis only cycle and spec. Admittedly, evis only is fairly dull as far as cycles go.

As far as 4 piece, it's fairly meh. At the gear level you're likely to be around, you'll find all stats are very similarly weighted, so just going blindly for the highest ilevel pieces you can get will provide reasonable results. Going specifically for ArP will only become worthwhile one you get 5-600 arp from gear, or 3-400 and needle-encrusted scorpion. I'd say check a spreadsheet to be sure, but I've got a feeling that Aldriana's only has ICC and a few really nice ToC pieces in.

On trash mobs, it depends how long the trash is going to last. If there's going to be time to ss -> snd -> fok -> fok without them all being dead then snd is worth keeping up. If it's really weak trash, then usually not. So say, forge of souls 5 packs you definitely would, the big packs of little elementals in halls of stone, probably not. Personally for heroic trash I use a slow off hand (1.8 dagger or 2.6 non-dagger) with instant poison on for higher damage FoK - you lose out on cp procs but as you're getting a full energy bar between pulls anyway the loss isn't that major. Obviously only an option if you've a comparable dps slow weapon spare.
Rhiannon

Postby cerwillis » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Rupture is good for when you can't be full time on the boss, and I use it as mut when needed to use HfB, other than that, I think its generally a dps loss.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Vorianloken » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:16 am

I'm going with an SnD/Evis cycle at the moment. Definitely much easier than including Rupture in the mix. As of two days ago when I was doing mass-heroics for badges I could top out at about 4-4.6k dps on a heroic boss :) Pretty cool.

Talked to a few rogues I know on my server and most have said to just not worry about Rupture and 4pcT9. So I have the 245 offset shoulders at the moment and am going for the offset helm as well.

Bloody rogues though. I have about ~7.5% hit from gear + 5 from talents and about 33/36 expertise. /facepalm

Most upgrades I can get at the moment are loaded with hit too lol. WTB expertise for my ICC geared feral kitteh!.

Vorianloken

Postby Haberjinx » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:51 am

So combat is using Evis over Envenom now?
Haberjinx

Postby Levantine » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:11 am

...Combat ever used Envenom?
Levantine

Postby aranil » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:40 am

Mut used envemon cause it had all the +poison talents. combat uses Evis cause its phyical and gets the awesomeness that is arpen.

I do want to say, Mut is a poor heroic 5 man build, but for raiding, mut is very high up there. For combat to max out Deepz, you need to have max Armor Pen, or get max arpen with a trinket proc. Mut has a benchmark of 75% crit chance with mutilate alone, but even if you don't have that, the build will out DPS a combat rogue who is under armpen cap.
aranil

Postby cerwillis » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:51 am

aranil wrote:I do want to say, Mut is a poor heroic 5 man build

I'll agree in that you cant just spam FoK on trash with the same results as combat, but its fun to pwn meter-spamming aoe-ers by like 2k on single target bosses.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Rhiannon » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:52 am

cerwillis wrote:
aranil wrote:I do want to say, Mut is a poor heroic 5 man build

I'll agree in that you cant just spam FoK on trash with the same results as combat, but its fun to pwn meter-spamming aoe-ers by like 2k on single target bosses.

Heroic bosses last such a short amount of time that muti's slightly higher damage over time can't compete with combat's stacked CDs. Just like fireball vs arcane is only going to go one way in a 20 second fight.
Rhiannon

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes