DK blood dps

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: DK blood dps

Postby blakk » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:33 am

Kelaan wrote:
blakk wrote:unholy sims lower than frost unless you have an amazing 2h and crappy 1h's

Interesting. At what level of gear does that happen? (My DK's not in T10 stuff yet, so I guess I'm just behind the times.)

at t9+ gear levels. ever since they buffed frost it's been at the top. even if not better than unholy.
blakk

Postby Skye1013 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:42 am

Levantine wrote:Builds are both the same except for utility talents, really. He's taken 3/3 Bloodworms and 1/2 IBP over Rune Tap and Vampiric Blood. Bloodworms are such a minuscule DPS increase that Blood Tap might well be worth it if he goes splat every now and then.

I haven't really delved too deep into this, but wouldn't the fact that raid damage will likely kill off your bloodworms before they become of much use to you kind of lean towards putting those points in the other utility spots?

Edit: Or do bloodworms get that 75% reduction to AOE like other "pets"?
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Kiorken » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:59 pm

Kelaan wrote:
Brute wrote:Should I be blood or frost? I usually tank but sometimes if i'm feeling spunky i'll DPS. I have dual spec.

Is there a particular reason you don't want to DPS as Unholy? From what I've read, it's still top dog. Also, if you run in a 10s group, it might let you be the only source of Ebon Plaguebringer, which your casters may love.

I was kind of wondering this myself. While I am not opposed to DW DPS with Frost, (because that would be amazing if it was number one, seeing as how I love the spec), I haven't seen any evidence to support it quite yet. I still see Unholy as number one.

Then again, I am just returning, and I have read EVERYTHING that has changed, I have just noticed thus far.

Playing very casually....for now.
Kiorken

Postby Levantine » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:43 pm

Frost is definitely the top dps spec for Death Knights these days, Kio. Unholy is second and Blood is lol.
Levantine

Postby blakk » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:29 pm

Levantine wrote:Frost is definitely the top dps spec for Death Knights these days, Kio. Unholy is second and Blood is lol.
blakk

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:02 am

If it helps... I'm not even sure I'm doing the "rotation" (I use the term loosely) 100% correct with a ~4k gs DW Frost DK (using the AT seal axes atm for weapons) and I'm usually at least 4.5k dps in VoA (with Recount's dps by gs, I'm almost always #2-3).
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:09 am

Levantine wrote:Frost is definitely the top dps spec for Death Knights these days, Kio. Unholy is second and Blood is lol.

Well, shit, I should have rolled on the slow axe that dropped last week. Damn.
Kelaan

Postby ulushnar » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:38 am

I can back that up. I switched to Frost from Unholy last night and I got a bit more than 1k dps out of it. And I really suck at proc-watching.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:23 am

Interesting. I may have to go Blood->Frost, then, for DPS.

Has anyone else been having trouble getting to the EJ forums? Every time in the past month I've tried to go there, their forum page won't load. I don't get any DNS, 404, or forum error mages, it merely idles on a white screen. Really makes it frustrating to try to read best practices on DK DPS :D {edit: It appears to just be Opera that is doing this. Dammit. /shakesfist}

edit: Do you think I will do better as frost with crappy 232 weapons, or as Blood or Unholy with a 251 weapon? I was under the impression that 2H frost is pretty fail by comparison, so I'm curious how weapon-dependent it is. My DK's gear is around ~5k GS, with 4x T9. (My frost badges are slowly going towards tanking gear.)
Kelaan

Postby blakk » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:41 pm

Kelaan wrote:Interesting. I may have to go Blood->Frost, then, for DPS.

Has anyone else been having trouble getting to the EJ forums? Every time in the past month I've tried to go there, their forum page won't load. I don't get any DNS, 404, or forum error mages, it merely idles on a white screen. Really makes it frustrating to try to read best practices on DK DPS :D {edit: It appears to just be Opera that is doing this. Dammit. /shakesfist}

edit: Do you think I will do better as frost with crappy 232 weapons, or as Blood or Unholy with a 251 weapon? I was under the impression that 2H frost is pretty fail by comparison, so I'm curious how weapon-dependent it is. My DK's gear is around ~5k GS, with 4x T9. (My frost badges are slowly going towards tanking gear.)

unholy would probably be better. all i can say is sim it in kahorie's. btw the EJ priority isn't updated. the priority for most people will be diseases>obliterate>blood strike>frost strike>howling blast but the difference is very minor. you won't have to look for procs though. (rp can make it go the other way if you don't have outside sources of extra rp to make yourself use every gcd.)
blakk

Postby Levantine » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:34 pm

*Drools over 100% ArP Sigil of Awareness Obliterate cheese setup*
Levantine

Postby blakk » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:59 pm

Levantine wrote:*Drools over 100% ArP Sigil of Awareness Obliterate cheese setup*

does awareness beat virulence and hanged man with that much arp? (few more upgrades and i'll be going arp gems)
blakk

Postby Levantine » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:39 pm

Last time I checked Awareness was top on single targets if you had capped armor pen. It wasn't by much though and the others were obviously better for fights that had meaningful AE. It has been a long while since I looked at it, but I don't think there have been any mechanic changes since.
Levantine

Postby blakk » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:07 am

Levantine wrote:Last time I checked Awareness was top on single targets if you had capped armor pen. It wasn't by much though and the others were obviously better for fights that had meaningful AE. It has been a long while since I looked at it, but I don't think there have been any mechanic changes since.

I finally got around to testing this and awareness beats hanged man/virulence if you're using glyph of disease but not if you use icy touch. The difference was less than 100 dos between all four combinations with the setup I used
blakk

Previous

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes