Remove Advertisements

[PvE-Holy/Ret] On Purchased Weapons

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[PvE-Holy/Ret] On Purchased Weapons

Postby rodos » Tue May 25, 2010 12:28 am

A few weeks ago I picked up the two blood quest items for Shadow's Edge pretty cheaply in a GDKP run (the only ICC25 I've actually run). Since then I've acquired the 25 PS by waiting for them to go on the AH at a good price (<= 900g). I've also bought a Battered Hilt.

What I'm trying to do is justify accepting the hilt quest and getting Lens of the Mind, and turning in the pile of saronites for Shadow's Edge.

Part of me says both are a bit silly, since Lens of the Mind is not as good as Lockjaw from Rotface 10, and Shadow's Edge is only marginally ahead of Bryntroll (and marginally behind Heroic Bryntroll). Both of those weapons are on bosses that I know I can kill if I get a group. The thing is, I don't get a lot of groups, and when I do it's /roll (so about 10% chance per Rotface kill) or GDKP (where I'm sure Bryntroll would go for 20k+, given what I saw Trauma go for). Shadow's Edge can also be upgraded, of course, but without being in a raiding guild... :lol: :lol:

So, given that I like shinies, my lack of regular raiding makes both of these sure-fire upgrades seem pretty appealing. Both quests are kind of epic too, and I'm somewhat of a completionist (Loremaster, you will be mine).

The halfway option is to use the Hilt on Might of the Faithful for Ret, and keep trying for Lockjaw (much easier to get a PuG spot as heals).

WoW Heroes has both my current sets. I've also got the ToC10 healing mace, but I <3 haste enough to use the FoS caster sword in its place.

What would you do? Run the quests and get the weapons, or flip the hilt and saronite to buy other BoEs and bankroll my startup AH business? (I still have about 12k among my toons, even with these items purchased.)
rodos

Re: [PvE-Holy/Ret] On Purchased Weapons

Postby Levantine » Tue May 25, 2010 3:19 am

I'm tempted to say get the weapons you know you can get. Relying on RNG for anything at all is asking for heartbreak. Lockjaw isn't that much better than Lens, either.
Levantine

Postby hoho » Tue May 25, 2010 3:29 am

If gold isn't a problem then buy the stuff you can. Spending 10k on something you won't likely upgrade for months is good investment.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby sherck » Tue May 25, 2010 4:19 am

Agreed with the concept of getting "sure thing" weapons when you can vs trying to battle the RNG beast.

Unless you are in a guild run where it is known before hand that if "this" drops, it is Jimmy's, then you could easily never get that weapons upgrade you are hoping for. It could never/rarely drop and then you could lose it due to the looting system.

If money is not much of an issue (and with having just spent 20k+ on PS it appears to not be), then upgrade you weapons today and gratz on your nice shinies.

If stuff drops later, then you can always go for them or be the great guy who says "naw, it is a bigger upgrade for you, you take it" because that kind of good deed just might get you a shiny later on that you really need as an upgrade in a slot that you cannot buy it.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Shoju » Tue May 25, 2010 7:24 am

Why do you believe that Lockjaw is superior than lens of the mind? The 9 int? Even at this stage of gearing I value crit more than more MP5. and Lens of the mind would be my choice. I have plenty of mp5 on my gear. any chance that I can take to get get a piece lacking MP5, I'm going to take it.
Shoju

Postby Gorlando » Tue May 25, 2010 1:58 pm

Shoju wrote:Why do you believe that Lockjaw is superior than lens of the mind? The 9 int? Even at this stage of gearing I value crit more than more MP5. and Lens of the mind would be my choice. I have plenty of mp5 on my gear. any chance that I can take to get get a piece lacking MP5, I'm going to take it.

As far as mana regeneration goes, MP5 is the second best stat for Holy (behind Intellect, of course). I suspect that is why Lockjaw is preferred.
Gorlando

Postby Shoju » Wed May 26, 2010 11:08 am

I understand that MP5 is the second best regen stat, but what I'm saying is, if you are in ICC, you probably aren't running into situations where you need MORE Mana regeneration.
Shoju

Postby Gorlando » Wed May 26, 2010 2:48 pm

Shoju wrote:I understand that MP5 is the second best regen stat, but what I'm saying is, if you are in ICC, you probably aren't running into situations where you need MORE Mana regeneration.

Well, I'm sure the MP5 certainly wouldn't hurt in hard modes. Also, crit is a relatively weak stat- the mana return plus the extra healing from crits do not seem as valuable to me. Sure, 20-30k Holy Lights are nice, but Paladins already have a lot of crit, and in many situations, it can just lead to overhealing.

Is Lockjaw a huge upgrade over the Lens? No, but as I see it, Lockjaw is still superior.
Gorlando

Postby Shoju » Thu May 27, 2010 8:58 am

And I'm the exact Polar Opposite. WTB hilt for the Lens, will trade the abyss crystal from my lockjaw to make it come together.

I just got another holy piece last night that is MP5. I'm going to be over 500 mp5 in my normal 10 man gear.
Shoju

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes