Prot - Threat and Uptime

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Prot - Threat and Uptime

Postby Vhing » Tue May 18, 2010 11:21 am

2 Disclaimers:

1. I hate running random heroics, but don't want to give up 14 EoF every week.

2. I would spec Prot/Prot, but occasionally fill-in as DPS and would like to keep that ability.

I have found bits and pieces around these forums about running heroic 5-mans and gear tweaks for additional threat. I was hoping I could get some more focused information about how I can produce more multi-target threat and not going OOM due to DP being on cool down when ready for the next trash pull. Less armor would equal more damage taken, therefore more healing for more mana return...correct?

I have tons of ilvl 200ish gear in my bank and could gem/chant it as desired. I believe I also read in these forums that using a slower tanking weapon helped to develop more threat.

Any help I could get would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Vhing

(I wasn't sure which forum to post this in. If this is not the correct place, please move it...thanks)
Vhing

Re: Prot - Threat and Uptime

Postby Jasari » Tue May 18, 2010 11:59 am

DO NOT downgrade your gear to avoid going oom. Just pull more packs. This should work in almost any instance except VH. Also swatting critters is a good idea to keep Plea up between packs. Chugging the occasional mana pot isn't a bad idea either.

For extra threat, spec into SoCommand, it's OP in heroics.

Other than that you really shouldn't be having problems. No heroic should take more than about 15 minutes baring unavoidable RP type of things.

Don't stress about about trivial content, the difference between being OMGAMAZING and being just so-so in a 5man in at most about 10 minutes. Most people waste more than 10 minutes AFKing in Dalaran.
Jasari

Postby Rodi » Tue May 18, 2010 2:09 pm

Jasari wrote:For extra threat, spec into SoCommand, it's OP in heroics.

And Glyph of Seal of Command is superb for mana management in heroics. It's a net gain of 100ish mana per judgement.
Lodix - Doomchicken/Giving Tree
Rodi - Tankadin
<FIGHT>
Blood Furnace
Rodi

Postby Jedah » Wed May 19, 2010 4:58 am

Your problem really is just that you're allowing DP to drop off at all. In most heroics, I push it one time at the start of the instance and never have to refresh it again.

Start pulling the next group before the last mob dies. With current welfare gear, even the most mediocre healer should be able to handle never stopping to drink -- same with the DPS.
Jedah

Postby Mozen » Thu May 20, 2010 5:55 am

It really depends whether your healer is willing to catch up. Some just refuse to follow you. Instead, they spend time picking corpses and skinning and drinking, etc.

Start with skipping Consecration unless you're at over 80% mana. That should take care of most five-man mana problems regardless of how you're pulling. When you're geared enough, you shouldn't really need to use Consecration at all in five-mans save a certain few rare situations.

Then it's really just about keeping DP up. Whack some critters on your way to the next pack, use HoJ on single mobs or Holy Wrath on undead packs when they're about to die and start running towards the next pack.
Mozen

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes