[DK] The DK Low Level Tanking thread

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [DK] The DK Low Level Tanking thread

Postby Shoju » Tue May 25, 2010 7:06 am

When I dps, I'm putting out 1800-2400 DPS on an AoE pull and 1k-1400 on a single target boss fight at 68 as unholy. The best I have done AoE was 5200, and best single target was 1850. both times I had hysteria, bloodlust, and awesome synergy (same run). My lowbie DK is dps all the way. I have 3 tanks, I needed a toon to dps on.
Shoju

Postby amh » Tue May 25, 2010 12:03 pm

Shoju wrote:I have 3 tanks, I needed a toon to dps on.

Haha, good luck :) That's what I said after the first, second and third tank-toon. In the end, the answer is always "oh f--- this, I'm tanking"
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Tue May 25, 2010 12:18 pm

Well, I have

Sunetra (tank heals)
Onisu (tank)
Ferrellus (70 warrior tank)
Maryshelly (heals)

that I play normally. I never dps, mainly because I'm needed to do other things in raids. This guy is on another server, where no one knows me, and I can just be the tard dps that gets yelled at for pulling aggro. I then can say things like: Well, if you were doing more than 200dps as a tank at lvl68 I wouldn't pull aggro, and my jerkness doesn't reflect on my guild.
Shoju

Postby Levantine » Tue May 25, 2010 9:26 pm

This is why I like my Hunter and lowbie DK as dps. One has an insta aggro reset and can kite forever and the other doesn't really care about pulling aggro from dumbass tanks since they're just giving me nommable Rune Strikes.
Levantine

Postby vertinog » Wed May 26, 2010 5:29 am

So I didn't feel like making a new thread.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an elite soloing spec? With my current spec I can solo elite quests that require 2 to 3 people. The one elite I am having some issues with is Durn the Hungerer, I got him to 75% before I died.

My thoughts are to get mark of blood and place it on Durn each time the cooldown is up, Get improved blood presence for the extra healing in any presence (frost) and get Rune tap for the potion heal effect. I guess the main question is what do I sacrifice in the tree for the max healing/dps to take out an elite like Durn.
vertinog

Postby amh » Wed May 26, 2010 8:27 am

Glyph disease (+DS and VB) so you can DS all your UF-runes. Use the mark only when you've got VB up. Use tap as often as you need to, but preferably with VB up. Use VB all the time.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby vertinog » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:17 am

So switched to a "normal" blood spec, got dual spec and currently have a DPS DW frost off spec. Tried out unholy for a little, didn't like it that much. Love how I am almost always at full health as blood and that is the only thing keeping me from playing DW frost. So i am thinking of switching the frost spec to a tanking spec. not sure if I will use a DW or 2H spec though.
vertinog

Postby Shoju » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:04 am

2h'd frost really dies off in the 75 ish range. It works at lower levels, but as your dpsers get better, you will noticed a loss of threat.
Shoju

Postby cds4850 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:18 pm

So this is probably as good a place as any to ask: what are the significant differences tanking blood or frost? I've been leveling up tanking blood with the BoA axe, and life is good. However, I am finding myself curious about the other tanking spec.

I'm currently sitting pretty at lv76 tanking everything with ease and pulling a significant amount of DPS in the process.

(My plan is to continue to tank guild alt runs at 80, but dual-spec to frost DW DPS. I have little to no interest in managing a pet.)
cds4850

Postby Kelaan » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:44 pm

cds4850 wrote:So this is probably as good a place as any to ask: what are the significant differences tanking blood or frost? I've been leveling up tanking blood with the BoA axe, and life is good. However, I am finding myself curious about the other tanking spec.

I tank and DPS as Blood on my DK, who is an alt. I was Frost through Outlands, and then Blood from 71 on.

Blood plays in a very rhythmic way. Frost seems (to me) to be more chaotic, in that you're always watching for procs of free this or free that (and generally want to use them). I didn't really like that as much, because I wasn't yet comfortable with what the rotation SHOULD be, and so interrupting that with procs was very confusing to me. (I'd love if Levantine or others could clue me in on the Right Way to Frost ... but I don't have frost-favourable weapons anyways.)

As Frost, you get a fair amount of great burst threat on a pull with Howling Blast. Procs of free HB casts are even nicer. As Blood, multi-target threat seems to basically be D&D + spreading diseases, and then tab target white hits and death coils. So, your snap threat hurts a bit there. (Or, mine feels like it.) On the other hand, I do like cleaving heart strikes. ;)

Blood has lots of self-healing, in that Death Strike is an integral part of your rotation. Frost has an extra damage mitigation cooldown. Blood gives your group 10% AP, frost gives (melee?) haste.

For what it's worth, I really liked Blood tanking, both for soloing and not. Its rotation is exactly the same (pretty much) as Blood DPS, and so my muscle memory didn't have to diverge. With a gear and presence swap, I could tank or dps pretty much anything while leveling (with a spec that was suboptimal for either, since I had some dps and self-healing talents in there). Soloing stuff is easy as heck. Frost also depends (at later levels) more on DW... but I can't comment on how that feels different or not. (It's not like I can see my character ...)

If you have Dual Spec, consider making a blood tanking/leveling spec and a frost tanking/leveling spec, and see which you enjoy more. I'd probably enjoy Frost just fine, if I were to spend the time getting my head around how it's meant to go.
Kelaan

Postby Levantine » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:37 pm

Frost AE tanking is easier than Blood, but other than that the main difference is in the rotation (Frost takes less damage, but Blood has more HP and self healing, it works out somewhat equal). Frost is a fluid and dynamic priority. You're always watching for procs to get the most out of it, whereas Blood is very much a set rotation designed around HS spamming.
Levantine

Postby Vorianloken » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:08 am

Levantine wrote:Frost AE tanking is easier than Blood, but other than that the main difference is in the rotation (Frost takes less damage, but Blood has more HP and self healing, it works out somewhat equal). Frost is a fluid and dynamic priority. You're always watching for procs to get the most out of it, whereas Blood is very much a set rotation designed around HS spamming.

Exactly why I love frost tanking more than blood tanking. It just feels too boring as blood.
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby bldavis » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:49 am

Vorianloken wrote:
Levantine wrote:Frost AE tanking is easier than Blood, but other than that the main difference is in the rotation (Frost takes less damage, but Blood has more HP and self healing, it works out somewhat equal). Frost is a fluid and dynamic priority. You're always watching for procs to get the most out of it, whereas Blood is very much a set rotation designed around HS spamming.

Exactly why I love frost tanking more than blood tanking. It just feels too boring as blood.

that is exactly hwy i love blood tanking!
its an easy rotation like a pallies!

and if i wanted proc-watchin rotation chaos, then i would play my survial hunter or demonology warlock!

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Shoju » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:42 am

bldavis wrote:
Vorianloken wrote:

that is exactly hwy i love blood tanking!
its an easy rotation like a pallies!

and if i wanted proc-watchin rotation chaos, then i would play my survial hunter or demonology warlock!

I play frost and watch for 0 procs. I think it is just as rotation based as my paladin.
Shoju

Postby Vorianloken » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:21 am

Aww come on Shoju.

Don't tell me you don't try to line up KM+Rime for trash :) Or time KM for an HB.
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes