[DK] The DK Low Level Tanking thread

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [DK] The DK Low Level Tanking thread

Postby Shoju » Tue May 11, 2010 10:46 am

Yeah, I can hit 600-700DPS on my DK at 63 on a single target with Ghoul + gargoyle on a fight. There is no reason that they shouldn't be doing 1-1.2k dps at 70.
Shoju

Postby bldavis » Tue May 11, 2010 10:51 am

ive done 1.5k on my demon lock in uk at 69...... (overall, hit 2.1 on an aoe pack)

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue May 11, 2010 10:58 am

Shoju wrote:Well, here is the gear that you will want to accomplish this:
[snip]

Might I suggest Faith in Felsteel at 70? Anyone can wear them, but only Blacksmiths get the set bonus. All three pieces have bonus armor, and the helm and legs have three sockets each.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Hokahey » Tue May 11, 2010 11:04 am

bldavis wrote:
Hokahey wrote:
Point in fact, braindead healers and shitty DPS (people who do like 300-500 @ 70) abound in early Northrend, so have Death Strike, health pots, and cooldowns handy. You *will* need them.

no shitty dps is ppl who do that at 80

at 70 they are just afk noobs still

afk noob=shitty dps. I don't make a distinction, but maybe I'm picky. :lol:

Generally, I usually didn't/don't mind slow/low DPS while tanking at lower levels. There's very little that you worry over taking too long to kill pre-raiding. What becomes problematic is when that terribad DPS is combined with a healer who evidently doesn't believe in mana management, intellect, sprit, mp5, or spellpower, and is wearing "of the Monkey" greens to help them survive after you die. :(
Hokahey

Postby Shoju » Tue May 11, 2010 11:13 am

KysenMurrin wrote:
Shoju wrote:Well, here is the gear that you will want to accomplish this:
[snip]

Might I suggest Faith in Felsteel at 70? Anyone can wear them, but only Blacksmiths get the set bonus. All three pieces have bonus armor, and the helm and legs have three sockets each.

Well the gear I suggested is all wearable at lvl68, meaning that you are walking into TBC dungeons in the RDF with absurd HP. I did a lvl70 gearset using all normal/heroic dungeon TBC drops / TBC craftables /TBC rep that would allow you to hit 25k HP.

Off topic kinda:
The absurdity that is the TBC socketables + Wotlk Epic gems has shown at least to me, that Cat gems will have an ilvl req for the gear that they can go in.

While tanking is a PVE thing that will get replaced as the gear becomes better, being able to hit 65 and have 18 sockets in your gear all loaded down with DPS gems means that the PvP ramifications are VERY significant. Looking at how they have handled twinking lately (which I will say is a 100% reversal of how they handled twinking in TBC) they will do this. using the standard forumla of how things worked from TBC to WOTLK, Cat gems will be at least

green - 33 stam - 22 str/agi
blue - 39 stam - 26 str/agi
purple - 45 stam - 30 str/agi

and will quickly break pvp in the 65-75 range wide open, as these gems will make socketable gear > any other gear of comparable level.
Shoju

Postby Kelaan » Tue May 11, 2010 12:48 pm

Hokahey wrote:Honestly, if you're in UK for the first time at roughly 12k hp (not while wearing full "of Stamina" greens), you're not doing half bad, and as long as the healer isn't braindead, there shouldn't be any serious trouble keeping you alive.

The crafted tanking gear at 70 is VERY well itemized. My DK was half in mail at 70, from high-dps-quest-rewards, and the tanking gear gave me maybe 80% of the dps, but 2x the survivability.

have Death Strike, health pots, and cooldowns handy. You *will* need them.

So true. I leveled to 61 as Frost, and it was fine. That said, as blood it's fine too, and you use Death Strike a great deal as part of your normal rotation.

For AOE pulls, going D&D, IT, PS, Pestilence will eat all your runes, but pretty much gets most things to stick to you. The Morbidity talent is awesome, too. I liked an earlier poster's idea about Unholy: three diseases makes Death Strike self-heal for more, and really stacks well with D&D as well. And Ebon Plaguebringer. Frost was Damned fun, though -- Howling Blast is a great snap threat tool.
Kelaan

Postby vertinog » Wed May 12, 2010 4:24 am

Well I tanked ramps this morning and it was a lot of fun. The only noob mistake I made was running the first 2 pulls in Blood Presence :oops:. Other than that I think I did a decent job at keeping most of everything glued on me. The dps was a bit aoe happy a few times and I wasn't able to get DnD off before they started to pull away. There was only one death the entire run, me on the second pull :oops:.

Overall I am enjoying the DK's tanking style. I played a Warrior pre-Wrath and a pally just after Wrath's release and over all I am enjoying the DK as much as I enjoyed the pally.
vertinog

Postby Kelaan » Wed May 12, 2010 12:56 pm

For me as a DK, the hardest thing is always having to wait for runes. Everything is in rhythm, which means that you sometimes have to scramble to handle unexpected adds.

In Ramps/etc, it's OK if some people pull aggro sometimes. In 3 pieces of BoA gear (chest/shoulders/weapon), ret paladins and DKs put out so much damage, and can self-heal enough, that they WILL steal agro from you sometimes, and will end up tanking things. That's OK. At that level, few people can get uncrittable anyways (except bears! <3), so it just means they're taking a bit more damage than you (since they're not in tanking presence).

Taunt things off clothies, but don't stress if something hits a plate DPS (in early TBC instances ;)) once or twice. If they're good enough to put out numbers that steal aggro, they're good enough to learn how to handle the heat. I often see people NOT focusing targets (esp DKs), since everything is an AOE-fest now even at that level, and they want to have diseases ticking on things for longer, or something. The side effect is, I often lose threat on more than one thing to two different DKs at about the same time... whereas if they were single targeting, it would be nearly dead, or would only need one taunt. So ... they get to "tank" for another 8 seconds or so until I can taunt again. (Keep in mind almost on one has spent points on Subversion yet.)

That's as a bear, of course. On my DK, and esp in a DPS-ish spec, threat rarely felt like a problem. Patience was. Waiting for runes to refresh after (D&D + IT + PS + Pestilence) was annoying, and you have to spend 5+ seconds doing nothing but spend runic power and tab targeting white hits.
Kelaan

Postby Vorianloken » Fri May 14, 2010 4:50 am

<3 Empower Rune Weapon :P

And from my experience from end-game tanking, it seems that blood is usually more rune-locked, especially during openers. I don't have that problem when I'm tanking as frost. Could be just me though /shrug
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby Sarutankah » Sat May 15, 2010 1:32 am

My sig has a link to my wee DK tank, I'm still waiting for helm from Ossirian.. but yeah, all good for laughs.

Please ignore the talent specs - I was playing around before I let the account lapse, will reactivate it come Cata.
Sarutankah

Postby Shoju » Mon May 17, 2010 9:12 am

Just curious how you are choosing what pieces to get, and what pieces to pass on? Are you going just with what has dropped, or was this a planned set of gear?

<3 the sword by the way.
Shoju

Postby Kelaan » Mon May 17, 2010 5:31 pm

Awesome :)

BTW some great rings would be the 25 stam (+ red socket) stam/crit rings from Hellfire Peninsula pvp rewards. ;)

Very nice, though. I'm amazed you can find/make raids of likeminded people. Impressive.
Kelaan

Postby Skye1013 » Sun May 23, 2010 4:14 am

My 80 DK I leveled up frost tank the entire way, but that was when LK first came out and with the way the presences worked, you could 5 DPS an instance without any deaths (1xfrost presence, 3xblood, 1xunholy was insane :twisted: ).

I recently started leveling a blood DK tank (to get the feel of it pre-cata) and have to say I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would after the announcement of the single tank tree. The only time I've had any issues with people pulling aggro from me is when I was in blood presence for a little bit after we switched tanks one run. That being said, DnD is nice, and since it only takes a couple hours (unless this is your first character in outlands) to get to 60, then it doesn't hurt to quest up to 60 and grab it, before running the dungeons.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby vertinog » Mon May 24, 2010 11:37 am

I haven't had time to tank anything in a week so I decided to switch to blood spec and try it out. Went for a blood dps spec and am loving it. Currently depending on how long the mob stays alive I am pulling anywhere between 800 to 1k dps at level 66. Just crazy when things die before I can finish a rotation.
vertinog

Postby sherck » Tue May 25, 2010 4:34 am

Heh, I got some good socket gear while playing last night that with +24 Stam gems in them, got me over 10.2k health when running a BF run at level 62.

I thought that was good until I queued up the next time and healed a 63 Warrior with 10.1k health....followed by healing a 61 DK with 9.7k health.

Crazy good health pools on tanks = very fricking bored healer.

Cheers,
sherck

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes