[DK] The DK Low Level Tanking thread

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[DK] The DK Low Level Tanking thread

Postby vertinog » Mon May 10, 2010 6:25 am

This has probably been beat to death somewhere on these forums and I will fully admit that I am too lazy to do a search :D.

What spec does everyone recommend for a lower level (58 to 60) DK tank?

I know leveling in BC has improved so it is quick but I plan on trying to tank my way through much of the leveling process. My DK's name is Doomgold and his armory link is in my sig. He is currently DW frost and might still have his 2 hander in his bags (I hope he does). Thanks for the information all!
vertinog

Re: [DK] The DK Low Level Tanking thread

Postby amh » Mon May 10, 2010 6:59 am

<- Permanently biased toward blood. Keep that in mind :)

Straight out of boot camp-spec:
http://www.wowhead.com/talent#jMEMqI0Icb0bosZZ0x:GoZmV

Blood is a bit of a pain until you hit level 60 (DnD), so be prepared to work for your aoe-threat in the first few levels. As soon as you hit 60, however, it's all good.

As you level up:
- Max out Morbidity. (level 61)
- Max out Toughness. (level 66)
- One point in Will of the Necropolis (level 67)
- Hit level 70. Macro Rune Strike to HS and PS. Swap out your DnD-glyph to RS.
- Max out Blood Gorged (level 72)
- Max out Imp Icy Touch (level 75
- Max out Will of the Necropolis (level 77)
- Max out Epidemic (level 79)
- Hit level 80. Max out Subversion, buy a couple more glyphs, get your crafted gear, go queue for heroics!
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Mon May 10, 2010 7:09 am

Fuck Blood. Tank as Frost while you still can. T.T
Levantine

Postby vertinog » Mon May 10, 2010 7:27 am

I think one of my biggest problems is the rotation. Still haven't gotten it down right and my only experience tanking with him was horrible lol.

BTW Levantine what ever happened to the guide you were creating?

Also does anyone have any suggested addon's and macros for a DK? I know when I get run(e|ic) strike to macro it into all my abilities.
vertinog

Postby Hokahey » Mon May 10, 2010 4:10 pm

Having tried both, I'd recommend Frost (2h until mid 70s when good 1h weapons become easily accessible) for tanking while leveling. Slightly less of a headache.

That being said, your key ability from 60-80 (pre-raid)will be DnD, regardless of spec, and its pretty much instant win until you start running into the occasional non-clueless DPS that can actually challenge your threat on AoE. Glyphed Howling Blast seals the deal here. I've never had *anyone* come close on single target threat while leveling.

Just don't be "that guy". The DK "tank" at 70 still wearing a substantial portion of the original quest blues, mixed with literally anything that happened to drop that was vaguely physical DPSish, having ~9k hp (BUFFED!), and trying to tank UK. I literally dread playing on my wife's Retadin, because she's 70 and queuing=UK, and the "tank" is almost invariably one of these, not excluding Paladins, Warriors, and Druids.

The best I ever had was a while back on my Shaman in Nexus. Using a lvl 65 green polearm "of the Whale" (if only this was the worst part of his gear), less than 9k hp, literally doing less than 200 DPS on AoE pulls. The ones he didn't die in. It was so bad I actually thought it was hilarious.
Hokahey

Postby Levantine » Mon May 10, 2010 4:40 pm

It died when they killed Frost tanking in Cata.

/bitter
Levantine

Postby vertinog » Tue May 11, 2010 5:49 am

Hokahey wrote:Having tried both, I'd recommend Frost (2h until mid 70s when good 1h weapons become easily accessible) for tanking while leveling. Slightly less of a headache.

That being said, your key ability from 60-80 (pre-raid)will be DnD, regardless of spec, and its pretty much instant win until you start running into the occasional non-clueless DPS that can actually challenge your threat on AoE. Glyphed Howling Blast seals the deal here. I've never had *anyone* come close on single target threat while leveling.

Levantine wrote:Fuck Blood. Tank as Frost while you still can. T.T

So I have taken both of your advice here. For now I will level up as a 2h Frost DK. Don't laugh to hard at my "of the whale" 2h sword right now that I have equipped. I was an idiot and sold my old 2h axe from the final DK starting zone quest. That sword was the only one on the AH and it was cheap. I plan on replacing it with either the polearm from ramps or a quest reward very shortly.
vertinog

Postby Shoju » Tue May 11, 2010 7:44 am

First,
Frost = Easy mode tanking even with a 2h'er all the way to 75. At 75 do Ragemane's Flipper, and the Ampitheatre quest line. Get the slow axe from the flipper quest, and the mace from AoA and spec DW. These will easily last until you get ilvl200 weapons.

Second,
For an interesting time tanking, go unholy.... Yeah I know what you are saying right now. I have a little DK on Exodar-US that I'm playing with some friends, and I specced him unholy DPS just to try it out. I'm DESTROYING DPS meters. On a normal dungeon run, I'm accounting for 50% of the damage done, and easily topping 7-800 dps depending on how much AoE there is.

Well, a buddy of mine was having net problems the other night, and didn't want to DC while tanking so I tanked it in my unholy DPS spec. It was a blast. No one ever pulled off me, people were blown away.

The rotation is a little weird, I start with DnD (glyphed) then PS - IT - Pest and then DC someone. Then I have to wait for more runes, but man... with three diseases ticking away on all targets, there is NEVER a chance for something to go get pulled.

Also, The ghoul made my least favorite pull in a TBC dungeon a joke. In BF before Broggok, you have the pull of three techs on the left. This pull normally ends up with people eating floor. I marked skull, x, and sqaure, and told them if they touched square I would punch them in the face. I dropped DnD at my feet, had the ghoul leap to sqaure, while I Dg'd skull to me, diseased him up, spread it to X. Once they were toast, we then went over and killed Sqaure. The pet was at ~70% by the time we got to him, and he kept sqaure right over there, and out of the way.

It was the first time I had ever used the ghoul as "cc" and man, it felt really cool to do.
Shoju

Postby Hokahey » Tue May 11, 2010 9:43 am

vertinog wrote:
Hokahey wrote:Having tried both, I'd recommend Frost (2h until mid 70s when good 1h weapons become easily accessible) for tanking while leveling. Slightly less of a headache.

Levantine wrote:Fuck Blood. Tank as Frost while you still can. T.T

So I have taken both of your advice here. For now I will level up as a 2h Frost DK. Don't laugh to hard at my "of the whale" 2h sword right now that I have equipped. I was an idiot and sold my old 2h axe from the final DK starting zone quest. That sword was the only one on the AH and it was cheap. I plan on replacing it with either the polearm from ramps or a quest reward very shortly.

Well, you could do worse I guess. :wink:

The polearm from Ramps is, of course, ideal at lvl 60. The Axe from BF is pretty strong, too. However if you're like me, they don't drop. Ever.

If you can't get either of those, the Helboar Carving Blade (or whatever its called) is a very good weapon. You get it in the Cenarion Expedition quests in HFP (the questline where you gather blood from Helboars, and then use it to try and cleanse one). Good stats, and it looks less ridiculous than most outlands weapons.

After that, you've got the 2h mace from UB (gem slots!!!). There's a decent 2h sword that drops in Mana Tombs. I've never seen either of these on a DK, either.

So, head to Nagrand at lvl 64ish to get that long ass ogre questline done, and pick up the somewhat decent blue polearm that has no stam and has a too fast swing timer. Really, your just killing time until lvl 65 so you can do the arena quests in Nagrand for the much better 2h Axe from there, and hedging your bets if you can't find a group for that questline. This should last you until Northrend.

If/when you get to do Sethekk, pray for the 2h Axe to drop. Yet another really nice axe with gem slots. Its lvl 68, however, so you won't use it for long.

Go to Borean Tundra, do Last Rites questline (it can be soloed, but its not necessarily *easy* to solo at lvl 70). Collect humongous axe.

You'll be going to UK a lot. If the ludicrously huge axe drops, yay. If not, meh.

Along the way, take the time to pick up some 1h quest rewards. Specifically, there is a really nice green 2.8 (!!!) speed axe you get in the Tuskarr questline in Borean Tundra. You can switch your spec once you have a couple of 1h in order to get ToT and NoCS, and level up weapon skill. If you feel inclined, the lvl 74 blue craftable swords are just plain awesome, and sell pretty cheap on the AH.

As Shoju said, do Ragemane (soloable) and Amphitheatre (less soloable, but you definitely don't need 5). Ragemane you can do at 74. Amphitheatre you need to be 75. As said, these weapons will last at least until lvl 78. UP has a slow lvl 78 DPS sword, and HoL has a fast lvl 78 tanking sword.

At lvl 77, you should begin working at collecting Champion's seals. You can get a DPS mace and/or a tanking axe from the tourney. The craftable epic DPS mace isn't half bad.

Farm reg. ToC for tanking loots. Get respectably geared. Farm reg Frozen Halls for more tanking loots. Particularly, reg. HoR. The cloak, but also Ghoulslicer, which a) looks badass and b) works great for threat.

Early on at 80, I recommend at least having the MH as a slow DPS weapon. It can be flexible, and you should feel free to adjust as needed, based on how much trouble you are having with threat or living through stuff, so be prepared to be holding on to roughly four weapons for a while, all with NC Runes on them.
Hokahey

Postby Shoju » Tue May 11, 2010 10:17 am

If you have high level friends, run to sethekk halls at lvl65. that is the lowest level you can enter there, and you can get the quests. There is a polearm as a reward from the one quest, and it will last you a very long time. It has stam+AGI, has DPS = to a lvl70 blue from TBC, and will be a FANTASTIC tanking weapon until you get the blue axe from Borean Tundra.

If you don't have high level friends, get the quests, and hedge your bets for when you get to sethekk in the RDF.

honestly, if you get REALLY lucky while tanking in TBC dungeons, you can get enough socketable gear to get yourself over 17k HP unbuffed if you use rare quality 24 stam gems. If you stick it out in TBC and get through slabs, OHB, and get EVERY socketable piece available and use epic gems, you can hit 20k unbuffed using epic gems and enchants. Overboard? yes. super cool to walk into a random at lvl68 with 22k HP (thanks to the buff) and the healer saying WHAT THE HOLY @%#^&$*!?! PRICELESS
Shoju

Postby vertinog » Tue May 11, 2010 10:26 am

Shoju wrote:..yourself over 17k HP unbuffed if you use rare quality 24 stam gems. If you stick it out in TBC and get through slabs, OHB, and get EVERY socketable piece available and use epic gems, you can hit 20k unbuffed using epic gems and enchants. Overboard? yes. super cool to walk into a random at lvl68 with 22k HP (thanks to the buff) and the healer saying WHAT THE HOLY @%#^&$*!?! PRICELESS

Just gave me a new goal. Thanks!
vertinog

Postby bldavis » Tue May 11, 2010 10:37 am

i am leveling my dk as blood tank, adn ill admit tanking is a pita until you get D&D and BB

once you get those, then your gtg!
i say try both specs, and do the one you enjoy more. i can solo most of the groupp quests in HFP, and have very little trouble with ppl pulling mobs off me.

since no-one has suggested an addon, i guess its up to me to break the ice.
i use dkirunes

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Shoju » Tue May 11, 2010 10:39 am

Well, here is the gear that you will want to accomplish this:

Head: Hope Bearer Helm / Executioner's helm of Second site (lvl67 SMV quest, will require flight, and good play) - Enchanted with Knothide armor kit
Neck: Necklace of the Deep
Shoulders: Quest Reward shoudlers from Old Hillsbrad Foothills - Enchanted with Knothide Armor Kit
Cloak: Bogstrock Cape - Armor Enchant
Chest: Adamantite Breastplate - enchanted with 275 HP
Bracers: Adamantite Bracers - enchanted with 40 stam for best, TBC stam if you have the mats.
Gloves: Adamantite Gloves - enchanted with knothide armor kit
Belt: Deathforge belt/Tenacious Defender (deathforge is lvl68 use the defender before that)
Gloves: Greaves of the iron Defender - clefthoof armor kit / nethercleft armor kit
Boots: Iron Sole Clompers/Sha'tari Wrought Greaves (greaves require 68 and Slabs) - greater stamina wotlk enchant
Ring1: pvp ring from HFP
Ring2: other pvp ring from HFP. You can get both of these as a DK.
Trinket1: Mercurial Alchemist Stone - lvl65 green trinket made my alchemist. 27 stam + hit rating
Trinket2: Mercurial Alchemist Stone - lvl65 green trinket made my alchemist. 27 stam + hit rating
Weapon: Hatebringer - UB / Crow Wing Reaper sethekk

This will get you stupidly high on HP. You will take a fair amount of damage since you aren't going to have a ton of defense/avoidance, but it will work just fine all the way up to UK if you are a smart player.
Shoju

Postby Hokahey » Tue May 11, 2010 10:41 am

Shoju wrote:If you have high level friends, run to sethekk halls at lvl65. that is the lowest level you can enter there, and you can get the quests. There is a polearm as a reward from the one quest, and it will last you a very long time. It has stam+AGI, has DPS = to a lvl70 blue from TBC, and will be a FANTASTIC tanking weapon until you get the blue axe from Borean Tundra.

If you don't have high level friends, get the quests, and hedge your bets for when you get to sethekk in the RDF.

honestly, if you get REALLY lucky while tanking in TBC dungeons, you can get enough socketable gear to get yourself over 17k HP unbuffed if you use rare quality 24 stam gems. If you stick it out in TBC and get through slabs, OHB, and get EVERY socketable piece available and use epic gems, you can hit 20k unbuffed using epic gems and enchants. Overboard? yes. super cool to walk into a random at lvl68 with 22k HP (thanks to the buff) and the healer saying WHAT THE HOLY @%#^&$*!?! PRICELESS

I suddenly have a burning desire to level a DK through outlands a 5th time. I had forgotten the polearm quest reward, but you're absolutely right, its a fantastic weapon.

No, I'm not leveling a 5th DK through Outlands...yet.

Honestly, if you're in UK for the first time at roughly 12k hp (not while wearing full "of Stamina" greens), you're not doing half bad, and as long as the healer isn't braindead, there shouldn't be any serious trouble keeping you alive. Of course, Ingvar is a son of a bitch for a new healer, particularly one that is only used to the first half of Outlands and earlier dungeons, so be patient with them.

Point in fact, braindead healers and shitty DPS (people who do like 300-500 @ 70) abound in early Northrend, so have Death Strike, health pots, and cooldowns handy. You *will* need them.
Hokahey

Postby bldavis » Tue May 11, 2010 10:43 am

Hokahey wrote:
Point in fact, braindead healers and shitty DPS (people who do like 300-500 @ 70) abound in early Northrend, so have Death Strike, health pots, and cooldowns handy. You *will* need them.

no shitty dps is ppl who do that at 80

at 70 they are just afk noobs still

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes