[Priest] Disc

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [Priest] Disc

Postby hoho » Fri May 21, 2010 7:22 am

Doogiehowser wrote:Also, I tend to just macro Inner Focus into my Shields so that it goes off as much as I can.
could be just me but I rather not use it at all than not have it availiable when I need to hymn in a oh-shit moment. IF boosts it's power by huge amounts.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Shoju » Fri May 21, 2010 7:46 am

Doogiehowser wrote:I'm assuming you were tank healing but overall, your "heals" looked about where my heals were when I tank healed icc 10.

I was mainly tank healing. Marrowgar I was tank healing, Lady Deathwhisper I was tank healing and shielding, Gunship I was shielding anyone and everyone. Saurfang I was tank healing, and shielding the ranged. Fester I was shielding everyone when there was gas, and then tank healing during 3 inhales, and on Rotface I was handling diseases, off tank, and doing what I could on the Rot tank.

Maybe I can't read WoL right, but it looks like you didn't cast Power Infusion. Set up a PI macro focus and set your focus to a caster (your Spriest or Mage will appreciate it) and just keep using it. When I raided on my disc priest, I set up my power auras to give me an audible alert to tell me when PI was up. I think on a fight like Deathbringer, I was able to get it off 2 or 3 times. Just tell your caster that they'll be receiving a mini heroism.

You're right. I failed to cast it a single time in the entire raid. :( I have never really been good about casting it honestly. I was never sure if I should save it as a OH CRAP I'M OOM or blow it on DPSers.

Also, I tend to just macro Inner Focus into my Shields so that it goes off as much as I can.

This was going to be my next question to ask. Right now, I'm running with 0 macros on her, as the only healing I had done was heroics (which quickly became snooze mode) and weekly raid bosses (also, mostly snooze mode)

Other than that, you did good. Only thing I would say on LDW is that there is a bit of downtime between adds, feel free to cast PW: Shields on the raid if you aren't already. Also, I never use renew when I was on my disc unless it was on a wipe run to heal people. You have a tree in your raid, let them worry about the HoTs.

[/quote]
Ok. I was wondering how often I should be casting it, and on who. Mainly I was using it on the tanks, or people who took damage but were still weakened soul.

Thanks for the info. Our guild is looking at allowing alts into portions of ICC to help combat burnout (we up 11/12 normal right now) but the worry was that we don't have a lot of healing alts in the guild to help cover so that healers can get a break. I'm hoping to be able to cover that.

on LDW I was trying to shield people when I could in between adds, but I found I had a couple of people who were REALLY slow to get out of DnD, so I had to spend time keeping them up.

I also found out just how much I love Divine Hymn on that fight. The tanks took her down the left side of the platform instead of the front at the beginning of P2, so I got LoS'd and we missed interupting a Volley. I hit that, and was like OMFG this spell is AWESOME.
Shoju

Postby hoho » Fri May 21, 2010 7:51 am

Shoju wrote:I also found out just how much I love Divine Hymn on that fight.
It was better pre-nerfs when it healed for ~150k as shadow, ~200k as disc+plenty of bubbles. ATM you'll be lucky to get even half that :P
Leap of Faith:
hoho

Postby Doogiehowser » Fri May 21, 2010 8:06 am

hoho wrote:
Doogiehowser wrote:Also, I tend to just macro Inner Focus into my Shields so that it goes off as much as I can.
could be just me but I rather not use it at all than not have it availiable when I need to hymn in a oh-shit moment. IF boosts it's power by huge amounts.

That's true but I found when I'm tank healing that I feel like I can't afford a channeling spell.

I'm sure I probably could do it but I was always nervous about not "spamming" the tank. I'd rather have a dps die and be able to blame it on raid heals than have a wipe and have everyone look at me. :)
Doogiehowser

Postby hoho » Fri May 21, 2010 8:11 am

Hymn will heal the lowest-HP people. If that's tank then he'll be healed by it aswell, possibly by multiple ticks. Even if some out of those 12 ticks don't land on the tank you'll have to work really hard to put out even remotely similar HPS on the tank.

Also, notice this little gem on the tooltip: "and increases healing done to them by 10% for 8 sec"
That alone could theoretically save the tank's life :)
Leap of Faith:
hoho

Postby Doogiehowser » Fri May 21, 2010 8:26 am

Divine Hymn is quite awesome. As hoho said, pop IF, then Hymn and you'll see the raid get healed quite quickly.

I'm not bashing Renew, I just never seemed to need to use it. That's all. If you're really stressed on raid heals, remember to shield someone and then cast PoH for that 0.5 sec decrease in cast. A 1.9 sec cast for PoH is pretty good and it can proc DA. Overall, it just depends on the fight really. You'll learn more and more each time you see the fight. I found that I ABUSE the pre-shielding before fights like Festergut, Blood Queen, and Sindy. It helps out your trees/hpriests/shammies before they get rolling.

I don't think you'll have a mana problem. You've got replenishment in your raid, Shadowfiend, Hymn of Hope, and pots. I'd wager that you were never really stressed on mana in any of the fights.

In terms of macros, I'm really lazy and macro my trinkets into nearly all my spells, PW:S especially. Yes, I realize that my burst healing might suffer a bit but with the buffs in ICC right now, I've never had a tank die to lack of "burst".

I have a castsequence macro for IF/Divine Hymn. I'd also think about having a target=focustarget macro for Shadowfiend so that you aren't having to actually an enemy mob/boss. Power Infusion macro is nice too.

Outside of that, I never really ran more than those three or four.

I found the biggest help in my healing was having a well laid out grid that showed the proper debuffs/buffs. It does wonders for your healing and more importantly, does wonders for your raid members average lifespan! Hehe.

Boiling Blood, Bone Spike, Rune of Blood, blah blah blah. Once you've seen the fights a couple of times as disc, you'll know when you can help out the raid by tossing a shield on someone who has that debuff. I'd guess you already know all of this but I can't stress how important a good healing grid/raid frames is to becoming a great healer.
Doogiehowser

Postby Doogiehowser » Fri May 21, 2010 8:31 am

hoho wrote:Hymn will heal the lowest-HP people. If that's tank then he'll be healed by it aswell, possibly by multiple ticks. Even if some out of those 12 ticks don't land on the tank you'll have to work really hard to put out even remotely similar HPS on the tank.

Also, notice this little gem on the tooltip: "and increases healing done to them by 10% for 8 sec"
That alone could theoretically save the tank's life :)

I know how the spell works. Unfortunately, when I tank healing, my mind doesn't work that way. Haha. I go through a limited priority list Can I shield? Can I use penance? Can I PoM? If no to all of those, Flash Heal. Haha.
Doogiehowser

Postby Amirya » Fri May 21, 2010 8:40 am

Unfortunately, I can't speak in terms of graph/comparison to Fayeth, she's never been in an ICC raid, mostly due to gear. But in other raids, I personally will use Renew on raid (the only full time tree we have available in my guild is ME, so yeah). However, it is correct you don't need to use Renew if you have a tree available.

Sounds like, though, you do have most things down pat, save the PI issue. I do agree with making a focus target macro, and hitting it when it's on cooldown.

Bleh, half asleep, got a 2 hour dronefest meeting coming up at work...I'll get back to this when I have more Pepsi.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby hoho » Fri May 21, 2010 8:48 am

As disc renew and fheal both have roughly similar output if fheal doesn't crit. If fheal doesn't overheal much then it's pretty much always better than renew when you are disc due to high crit rate and creating bubbles. Renew is not too bad either obviously but shouldn't really be used for blanketing as disc, you'll do better with fheal/poh spam if you manage not to overheal too much.
Leap of Faith:
hoho

Postby Skye1013 » Sun May 23, 2010 1:58 am

Well, since we're talking about priests, any pointers for my disc spec? I'd post the link, but can't access it from work, though the name/server is in my sig. I haven't really had very many problems with healing unless we've had a seriously undergeared tank, or extremely AoE heavy heroics. Strangely, I've never gotten into the habit of using flash heal, but from what I've been reading, thats apparently something I should start? Also, I realize my spec doesn't have pain supression, because I'm bad with remembering to use cds, and thus far haven't needed it for anything. I'll also admit that I didn't know most disc priests avoid spirit... though mine is probably lower that most holy, since shadow is my main spec. Also, which glyphs are "standard" for disc?

In response to people discussing shadow priorities... obviously dots first, after that I make sure to try and keep MB and SW:D on cd, then mindflay the rest of the time.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Sun May 23, 2010 2:50 am

SW:D is a dps loss to use on cooldown, and has been for a very very long time, iirc.
Levantine

Postby Skye1013 » Sun May 23, 2010 4:17 am

Levantine wrote:SW:D is a dps loss to use on cooldown, and has been for a very very long time, iirc.

It's entirely possible, I haven't kept up on priest forums since TBC, so with the changes to the trees and the glyphs, I could definitely see that.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Amirya » Sun May 23, 2010 5:26 pm

Skye1013 wrote:Well, since we're talking about priests, any pointers for my disc spec? I'd post the link, but can't access it from work, though the name/server is in my sig. I haven't really had very many problems with healing unless we've had a seriously undergeared tank, or extremely AoE heavy heroics. Strangely, I've never gotten into the habit of using flash heal, but from what I've been reading, thats apparently something I should start? Also, I realize my spec doesn't have pain supression, because I'm bad with remembering to use cds, and thus far haven't needed it for anything. I'll also admit that I didn't know most disc priests avoid spirit... though mine is probably lower that most holy, since shadow is my main spec. Also, which glyphs are "standard" for disc?

In response to people discussing shadow priorities... obviously dots first, after that I make sure to try and keep MB and SW:D on cd, then mindflay the rest of the time.

Pick up Pain Suppression. Also, pick up Imp Flash Heal. Between Penance and Flash Heal, you should be good on healing.

It's not that disc priests avoid spirit, it's just not something we particularly need. Rapture, Hymn of Hope, Shadowfiend, should be enough to take care of mana.

In regards to major glyphs, I'd personally fill the last spot with Flash Heal. Otherwise, go with pretty much what has been posted in this thread.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:43 am

This Is my priest right now. I'm really enjoying healing on her, and I'm actually contemplating making her my main in Cat. I was wondering if someone could help me out.

I feel like I'm light on crit at just 26%. Is that too low or not?

Am I gemming right? I have heard some disc's who tell me to match socket bonuses, and some who tell me that I should be just straight stacking spellpower, others who tell me to avoid spirit, others who say take it as it comes.

I will be honest, I haven't gone to EJ yet, I was hoping to get some input from some of the resident priests before I head over there and start digging through the information.

I hate that the armory now shows buffs active on you when you log. I think that the only buffs I had when I logged out were:

PoF
DS
PoSP
Inner Fire
and Flask of the north, so essentially self buffed.

Any assessments of where I stand would be greatly appreciated :)
Shoju

Postby Amirya » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:46 am

Personally, my priest is sitting at near 30% crit; I'd aim for about there to 35%.

My personal preferences for purple gems are Royal, not Purified. My memory may fail me atm, but I believe the spirit conversion for mana regen produces less than straight mp5.

Agh, work calls and my mind isn't working just yet.

But those are the ones I can comment on right now.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes