Remove Advertisements

[Priest] Disc

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [Priest] Disc

Postby Jasari » Fri May 14, 2010 6:48 am

Boyfriend wrote:It's kind of frustrating for the tank aswell if you just get so many healers that have no idea that UK might be a bit more challenging than TBC instances.

I never understand when healers get pissed off about having to actually use their healing spells in a semi-intelligent manner.

Yes, it sucks if you can't keep a tank alive and go oom every pull. But I actually have fun healing a tank that requires more than PoM and renew to stay alive. When I get any instance besides the new ICC ones nowadays I almost always stay shadow to DPS while throwing the occasional heal. Can usually beat at least 1-2 noobs at DPS despite spending most of the instance out of shadow form.
Jasari

Postby daemonym » Fri May 14, 2010 7:12 am

Jasari wrote:
Boyfriend wrote:It's kind of frustrating for the tank aswell if you just get so many healers that have no idea that UK might be a bit more challenging than TBC instances.

I never understand when healers get pissed off about having to actually use their healing spells in a semi-intelligent manner.

Yes, it sucks if you can't keep a tank alive and go oom every pull. But I actually have fun healing a tank that requires more than PoM and renew to stay alive. When I get any instance besides the new ICC ones nowadays I almost always stay shadow to DPS while throwing the occasional heal. Can usually beat at least 1-2 noobs at DPS despite spending most of the instance out of shadow form.

I saw a disc priest do 3.5k dps in H UK one time when I was on my DK tanking as blood. Only buff they had that was semi-influential was kings. Needless to say, I was thoroughly impressed.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby hoho » Fri May 14, 2010 7:24 am

daemonym wrote:I saw a disc priest do 3.5k dps in H UK one time when I was on my DK tanking as blood. Only buff they had that was semi-influential was kings. Needless to say, I was thoroughly impressed.
If you do aoe pulls and priest has glyphed holy nova it's not hard to pull those numbers. Single-target it's a bit more complicated as most don't spec into low-tier holy DPS stuff. If they do then 3.5k dps is not too hard :)

Though I still by far prefer healing as shadow. Heals are hitting about as hard as when I'm disc, just I have no fast+big heals and shields are sucky. Then again it's made up by vastly superior regen and dps, stuff dies fast -> less healing needed. It's kind of nifty to burst down bosses in under 20 seconds with nearly 100% uptime on most buffs, seeing shadowfiend do 20% of your damage is fun :)
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby daemonym » Fri May 14, 2010 10:49 am

Ok I'm not sure if this will count as bragging or nerd rage, but I just gotta say it. Forge of souls. Pit of saron. I have not yet ran either on normal or heroic where NOBODY has died. Especially on my mage on Bjorn in forge, I die moments in. Hell even my pally with his nearly 50k hp unbuffed dies on the packs of fireball tossers in the pit time to time. All different classes and specs have been represented in healing those places and letting many a player die. And I just ran through both on normal and heroic on my baby priest.

Not a single death.

Not a single player under 50% on the packs before the tunnel.

The only time things were tricky was the whole group having 12+ stacks of the frost damage debuff on Garfrost. But power infusion + PoH spam took care of that nice and neat. Apparently I can heal stupid before Cata gets released.

I am, in a word, astounded.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
daemonym

Postby Amirya » Fri May 14, 2010 11:41 am

Welcome to discipline priests. :lol:

(Note: By habit, I am starting to let stupid die in those places on heroic)
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Korola » Fri May 14, 2010 11:56 am

Not a single death.

I have run H PoS without a single death as well on my disc priest. I believe my disc priest is the most fun to play out of all my toons. So mobile, so quick, penance just feels like the perfect spell for the spec. I sometimes grind my teeth when I heal on my shaman because of how immobile I feel.

On a side note, I have given up trying to skip the mobs after Ick & Krick before the tunnel. There is always one person that doesn't make it or goes too far. I just have that little faith the humans anymore.
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby daemonym » Fri May 14, 2010 12:08 pm

Moderately off topic here, I have a random question about going shadow. Even though all my gear is gemmed/enchanted for healing I still like to dps time to time. I read all about the priorities and such on EJ but I'm looking for a more specific answer I guess. I've always had the ABC rule of casters drilled into my head, Always Be Casting. That said here's what I'm wondering about.

Assuming that all my dots are fresh and MB is on CD (top priority) I cast mind flay as my filler. If MB comes off CD while I'm in the middle of channeling should I break the channel to MB?

Also what if MB is less than a GCD away from being off CD? Should I channel a tick of mind flay or just sit there for the ~1.5 seconds to cast it?

Same as the above question, but in regards to refreshing dots. Should I stop casting for a second or two to refresh a dot and not clip the last tick or channel mind flay for a tick then throw the now expired dot back up?

daemonym

Postby Jasari » Fri May 14, 2010 12:20 pm

daemonym wrote:Moderately off topic here, I have a random question about going shadow. Even though all my gear is gemmed/enchanted for healing I still like to dps time to time. I read all about the priorities and such on EJ but I'm looking for a more specific answer I guess. I've always had the ABC rule of casters drilled into my head, Always Be Casting. That said here's what I'm wondering about.

Assuming that all my dots are fresh and MB is on CD (top priority) I cast mind flay as my filler. If MB comes off CD while I'm in the middle of channeling should I break the channel to MB?

Also what if MB is less than a GCD away from being off CD? Should I channel a tick of mind flay or just sit there for the ~1.5 seconds to cast it?

Same as the above question, but in regards to refreshing dots. Should I stop casting for a second or two to refresh a dot and not clip the last tick or channel mind flay for a tick then throw the now expired dot back up?

In theory clipping MF right after a tick to put DoTs back up or to cast MB is a DPS boost. But in Reality it's almost impossible to actually clip at the right time due to latency, reaction time, etc. And it's a bigger DPS loss to clip MF at the wrong time - like right before a tick - than to just finish the cast and let MB sit off CD for 1-2 seconds. One trick you can use is to cast SWD if you know you only 1 GCD before you need to recast a DoT or MB.

The bottom line is that if you follow the ABC rule and priority of Dots > MB > MF while situationally using SWD either when you're moving or when you only have a GCD before you need to cast other stuff, you'll be good.
Jasari

Postby Gracerath » Sat May 15, 2010 12:16 am

daemonym wrote:Ok I'm not sure if this will count as bragging or nerd rage, but I just gotta say it. Forge of souls. Pit of saron. I have not yet ran either on normal or heroic where NOBODY has died. Especially on my mage on Bjorn in forge, I die moments in. Hell even my pally with his nearly 50k hp unbuffed dies on the packs of fireball tossers in the pit time to time. All different classes and specs have been represented in healing those places and letting many a player die. And I just ran through both on normal and heroic on my baby priest.

Not a single death.

Not a single player under 50% on the packs before the tunnel.

The only time things were tricky was the whole group having 12+ stacks of the frost damage debuff on Garfrost. But power infusion + PoH spam took care of that nice and neat. Apparently I can heal stupid before Cata gets released.

I am, in a word, astounded.

First time I got Forge of Souls I was so nervous. The trash packs have a ton of brutal AE damage, the first boss with his reaper attack that hits casters for obscene amounts of damage, the AEing ghosts... It was a lot easier than it looked. While tanking I see geared healers struggle with those things so its definitely an ego boost to handle them easily. Binding heal is quite handy for the 2nd boss :D

What I've been running into lately is a somewhat lower geared tank that can't hold threat against somewhat lower geared dps. So the ret pally or fury warrior ends up pulling aggro and since their gear sucks, I can't keep them up either. I dunno how many times I've had to tell a group "I'm only healing one tank, motherfuckers." If you're going to be an impatient prick, at least be well geared so you can survive the inevitable aggro whoring.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby daemonym » Sat May 15, 2010 2:12 pm

About to make the upgrade from heroics, ICC 5s to raids. Rather nervous tbh, but ToC 10 is 90% faceroll with all the free purples these days so not so bad. Regardless I come to you my now fellow priests, with a handful of questions about Disc and ToC 10/25.

Gormok:
Should I bother shielding the melee before the stomp or is the damage low enough to just let PoM bounces and such take care of it?

Snakes:
What specifically should I be focusing on here? I imagine that the explosion of burning bile will be an issue, but looking for something more specific. The idiots that are bound to get paralyzed, should I try to heal them or let their dumbass die off.

Icehowl:
When the pick of the litter inevitably gets hit after the smash, I take it I should immediately use pain sup on the primary tank? Does ice howl not target the tank with top threat at that time?

LJ:
What exactly should I be focusing on? The incinerates I'm not really capable of dealing with that well as disc, but should I toss a penance on them or some such just in case?

Champs:
I already know how to keep my ass alive. Besides this is just glorified raid healing and reaction time check here.

Twins:
Again, pre shield the raid when orbs come out or no? Pre shield on vortex or just check if somebody failed at colors after it starts.

Anub:
I honestly don't know what to do during the last phase. phase 1-2 are fairly straight forward with PC and tanks to heal, pre fade when adds are about to spawn so I don't get clipped. But during p3 how does a priest keep the raid at low health? I guess more specifically, what should I NOT be casting aside from the obvious G heal and penance? Is PoM or PoH cool to use? Spot heal with flash and shields?

Thanks again for all the help so far.

daemonym

Postby Amirya » Sat May 15, 2010 5:10 pm

daemonym wrote:About to make the upgrade from heroics, ICC 5s to raids. Rather nervous tbh, but ToC 10 is 90% faceroll with all the free purples these days so not so bad. Regardless I come to you my now fellow priests, with a handful of questions about Disc and ToC 10/25.

Gormok:
Should I bother shielding the melee before the stomp or is the damage low enough to just let PoM bounces and such take care of it?

Snakes:
What specifically should I be focusing on here? I imagine that the explosion of burning bile will be an issue, but looking for something more specific. The idiots that are bound to get paralyzed, should I try to heal them or let their dumbass die off.

Icehowl:
When the pick of the litter inevitably gets hit after the smash, I take it I should immediately use pain sup on the primary tank? Does ice howl not target the tank with top threat at that time?

LJ:
What exactly should I be focusing on? The incinerates I'm not really capable of dealing with that well as disc, but should I toss a penance on them or some such just in case?

Champs:
I already know how to keep my ass alive. Besides this is just glorified raid healing and reaction time check here.

Twins:
Again, pre shield the raid when orbs come out or no? Pre shield on vortex or just check if somebody failed at colors after it starts.

Anub:
I honestly don't know what to do during the last phase. phase 1-2 are fairly straight forward with PC and tanks to heal, pre fade when adds are about to spawn so I don't get clipped. But during p3 how does a priest keep the raid at low health? I guess more specifically, what should I NOT be casting aside from the obvious G heal and penance? Is PoM or PoH cool to use? Spot heal with flash and shields?

Thanks again for all the help so far.

This is what I've done for the last few TOC10 (then I inevitably swap to my mage for more dps) - as disc, your primary concern is the tank, not the raid. Let the raid healer handle them. If you want, a PoH or a PoM is fine, but otherwise, tanks.

Gormok - PoM bounces can handle the stomp. Focus on tanks in case of an idiot who can't taunt after 4857495734 stacks of Impale.
Worms - Don't worry about idiots who get paralyzed, especially if they're not making an effort to get freed. Inevitably, they will die to either the Toxin or because they are standing in Slime Pools. If you feel the need to shield the raid, Burning Bile is the big issue. Mostly, you may want to Pain Suppression the tank who gets the enraged worm, depending on their health at time of enrage.
Icehowl - I've never had him target switch tanks, so whoever is top of threat needs Pain Suppression in case of the Trample

LJ - Heal the Incinerate target and cleanse thyself of this notion you can't handle it. You're a single target healer, you're more than qualified. Bubble, Renew, Penance, Flash Heal, Penance. (Note: This also applies in ICC 10 to whoever is Bone Spike target).

Twins - Your call, depending on the raid IQ and dps.

Anub - Heal the tank, if you yourself are dangerously low, a Binding Heal never hurts. If the other healer(s) have the tank, you can shield the group. PoM doesn't hurt, Renew doesn't hurt, PoH if it looks dicey.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby daemonym » Tue May 18, 2010 12:23 am

Ok I just did a run through toc 10 and 25, didn't clear either but enough to get a good feel for it. I have a last handful of questions though just to make sure that I'm "doin it right" and how to figure out if I'm preforming as well as I can be. All of my info is based 100% off of what I read from recount after each fight. So these are just my thoughts on all that went down, so just let me know what your thoughts are.

We ran with 5 healers. myself (on raid mostly), a tree, and 3 holy pallys. One of the pallys might as well have not existed as, according to recount, did about as much healing as a blood DK.

On beasts I came out with 600k healing done and about 800k in absorbs. The tree and two active holy pallys did about triple my healing. It seemed like whenever I'd go to penance somebody low or drop a hasted flash heal the moment it would land they were already at max health. They might have had incoming heals at the time, but I'm not able to cancel a 1 second cast in time to notice grid showing the heal coming in.

On LJ I barely did anything at all. The two pallys beaconed each tank and did their holy light spam thing. I shielded whoever got flames and healed up the incinerates. Otherwise it seemed like the damage was far too random for me to pre shield anybody without going oom a minute or two in from casting 21 wasted shields. The only time I felt like I did anything worthwhile was when the infernals came and threw shields onto whoever they flew towards along with the OT.

For twins I know I rocked the absorbs and healing. It was easy to top somebody off after a bad collision with off color orbs and spam shields onto everybody knowing that 99% of them were going to get their full use. Recount's guessed absorbs put me at about 3.6 -million- damage absorbed. Considering that my shields take up around 6-7k a shield and I was spamming them on any raider that didn't have weakened soul the whole time. Also the fight went up until the enrage no less because people refused to change targets ever. Since the whole raid is constantly taking damage, I'd imagine it's my job to throw out any shields I can if my tank doesn't need a global spent on healing them at the moment. After using shadow fiend and the mana hymn we wiped while I was at 30% mana. That good or do you think I wasted far too much on shield spaming.

I've been taking to shielding one person and precasting a G heal on the tank (if penance is on CD). If their health doesn't move when the cast is about to end, I'll cancel the cast and shield somebody else then repeat. That way I'm always helping on the raid while always ready to drop a big heal on the tank and shift my focus entirely back to them should they need it.

That being said, does it sound like I got the idea or more like I'm a shield spamming button monkey?

daemonym

Postby Amirya » Tue May 18, 2010 8:03 am

I just woke up, so my thought processes aren't entirely coherent, but -

that's a hell of a healer group to try and be competitive in. You'll get a better feel for it if you're not a raid healer, I think. But it does sound like you've got it down. And I honestly wouldn't worry about how you show up on Recount, Disc never seems to do well, even when doing awesome.

Also, you should be a shield spamming button monkey. At least, when you can predict incoming damage.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Thu May 20, 2010 8:23 am

I'm hoping I can poke a Disc priest here to give me some feedback. Last night I ran ICC10 on my disc priest (armory in my Sig) and we had a great night. Mostly alts (6) So the DPS is a little funky (read that as: Low). I'm really interested in someone tell me how I faired? We had 3 wipes, 2 on Valithria and 1 that was more of a 'whoops' on festergut than a real wipe.

I know that logs aren't real accurate on absorbs, so I'm just wanting to take a peak at this log, and tell me if they see anything that I could improve on

Here is the log
Shoju

Postby Doogiehowser » Fri May 21, 2010 7:00 am

I'm assuming you were tank healing but overall, your "heals" looked about where my heals were when I tank healed icc 10.

Maybe I can't read WoL right, but it looks like you didn't cast Power Infusion. Set up a PI macro focus and set your focus to a caster (your Spriest or Mage will appreciate it) and just keep using it. When I raided on my disc priest, I set up my power auras to give me an audible alert to tell me when PI was up. I think on a fight like Deathbringer, I was able to get it off 2 or 3 times. Just tell your caster that they'll be receiving a mini heroism.

Also, I tend to just macro Inner Focus into my Shields so that it goes off as much as I can.

Other than that, you did good. Only thing I would say on LDW is that there is a bit of downtime between adds, feel free to cast PW: Shields on the raid if you aren't already. Also, I never use renew when I was on my disc unless it was on a wipe run to heal people. You have a tree in your raid, let them worry about the HoTs.
Doogiehowser

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes