[Priest] Disc

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [Priest] Disc

Postby daemonym » Wed May 12, 2010 5:13 am

Gracerath wrote:It really is amazing how a few levels make such a drastic difference. I remember queuing up for UK the moment I hit 68 and it was hard as hell to heal. Especially if you got a 68 tank. Once you start getting to 72ish, you've gained significant rank to your heals, picked up some nice dungeon blues and stuff feels a lot more smooth.

Ya I'm definitely noticing this, especially with quest rewards giving me a ton of extra haste. with the BT buff my flash heal is down to under 1 second and G heal is about 1.5 cast.

Its totally normal to go through stacks of water. One hairy pull can drain your entire mana bar from full so even if I was at 50%+, I'd fill up basically every pack. It was annoying but more often than not it was prudent.

I sure hope it isn't like this later on. A full stack of water with no amazing income is rather expensive. That and it's annoying as hell.

Something that is often overlooked is pain suppression. Keep that on a handy clique configuration. I just now finally put guardian spirit on a clique keybind and am training myself to use it. I'm not sure thats the case with you but I had to really drill it into my head to use it more often.

I have pain supp bound to control+middle click with normal middle click to PoM. I've been using pain supp A LOT in the first few times healing out of necessity. I had to drill it into my head to use PoM though, so having it to the same bind as my panic button helped me a lot. Now I'm only wondering if I should always pre shield and PoM the tank or throw PoM onto a moron dps that I know is about to stand in fire. The shield will last for the tank and when pom bounces off the dps it'll likely hop onto the tank. It makes sense to me at least, heh.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby hoho » Wed May 12, 2010 5:20 am

I generally put both shield and pom on tank, if some dps stands in fire they'll get the pom soon anyway.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Jedah » Wed May 12, 2010 6:26 am

Just a slightly Off-topic note regarding squishy DK tanks mentioned on the previous page, don't forget that they are harder to heal in 5 mans because they're the only tanks that don't have some sort of block mechanic. Block is currently very overpowered in 5mans against a large number of soft-hitting mobs.
Jedah

Postby daemonym » Wed May 12, 2010 6:44 am

Jedah wrote:Just a slightly Off-topic note regarding squishy DK tanks mentioned on the previous page, don't forget that they are harder to heal in 5 mans because they're the only tanks that don't have some sort of block mechanic. Block is currently very overpowered in 5mans against a large number of soft-hitting mobs.

Oh I'm fully aware of the OP shield factor, I am a paladin after all. My main beef with a DK tank is that I'm never going to get some king slayer, instead I'll get "Arthasdklol" who can't hold threat for shit thus turning an inexperienced tank healer into a gimped inexperienced group healer.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
daemonym

Postby Doogiehowser » Wed May 12, 2010 8:33 am

daemonym wrote:
Gracerath wrote:

Its totally normal to go through stacks of water. One hairy pull can drain your entire mana bar from full so even if I was at 50%+, I'd fill up basically every pack. It was annoying but more often than not it was prudent.

I sure hope it isn't like this later on. A full stack of water with no amazing income is rather expensive. That and it's annoying as hell.

No, it's not. In fact as most have said, you'll shield tank, PoM tank and then go into Holy Nova spam on AoE mobs or you'll lolsmite dps because tanks just don't take damage in heroics anymore.
Doogiehowser

Postby Gracerath » Wed May 12, 2010 10:14 am

Re: water.

Naw, once you get a mostly full set of blues, you'll be able to go several packs without drinking. Once you get into heroics, it mostly depends on the group. If the tank was a fresh 80 or the dps was extra slow, packs lasted longer, mana was drained and you had to sit down for a little bit. It does get better though. I'm finally at a point in my gear as holy where unless my group is REALLY bad, I can go most of the instance without sitting down for a mana break.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Korola » Wed May 12, 2010 11:28 am

Oh I'm fully aware of the OP shield factor, I am a paladin after all. My main beef with a DK tank is that I'm never going to get some king slayer, instead I'll get "Arthasdklol" who can't hold threat for shit thus turning an inexperienced tank healer into a gimped inexperienced group healer.

Sometimes when I go from my pally to my little DK - not having a shield makes me feel like I'm wearing ass-less chaps without pants in a gay biker bar....
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Wed May 12, 2010 9:41 pm

Jesus christ, THAT'S why I enjoyed DK tanking so much!
Levantine

Postby Jasari » Thu May 13, 2010 5:54 am

To just add my $0.02 about why DKs are by far the squishiest 5man tank:

Last night I was healing H PoS on my priest (spec'd holy not disc). I had a 5.2k GS DK tank and on the pulls right before the tunnel I had to spam heal him to keep him alive, whereas I can usually keep warriors or pallys up with just PrOM and Renew. I'm looking forward to block being fixed in Cataclysm because the gap is just too ridiculous. Granted 5mans "R srs biznis" and everything, I just hope they can make challenging heroics in Cataclysm that aren't trivialized by a broken block mechanic.
Jasari

Postby daemonym » Thu May 13, 2010 7:02 am

Jasari wrote:To just add my $0.02 about why DKs are by far the squishiest 5man tank:

Last night I was healing H PoS on my priest (spec'd holy not disc). I had a 5.2k GS DK tank and on the pulls right before the tunnel I had to spam heal him to keep him alive, whereas I can usually keep warriors or pallys up with just PrOM and Renew. I'm looking forward to block being fixed in Cataclysm because the gap is just too ridiculous. Granted 5mans "R srs biznis" and everything, I just hope they can make challenging heroics in Cataclysm that aren't trivialized by a broken block mechanic.

Erm isn't that all magic damage at that point? Like diseases, fireball spam and aoe shadow bolts?

daemonym

Postby hoho » Thu May 13, 2010 7:07 am

While I agree that shield block and especially the warrior ability is completely OP in 5-mans I'm fairly certain that DK tanked with his back
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Jasari » Thu May 13, 2010 7:11 am

daemonym wrote:
Jasari wrote:To just add my $0.02 about why DKs are by far the squishiest 5man tank:

Erm isn't that all magic damage at that point? Like diseases, fireball spam and aoe shadow bolts?

I'm talking about the last two packs that are mostly melee.

hoho wrote:While I agree that shield block and especially the warrior ability is completely OP in 5-mans I'm fairly certain that DK tanked with his back

It definitely felt that way.
Jasari

Postby Gracerath » Thu May 13, 2010 5:24 pm

Remember that DK's are also built around their short cooldowns. In that scenario you probably had a DK tank that was just barely geared enough to be there, didn't use his cooldowns, or both. Also positioning those mobs can be a bit of a challenge. Once you get them all facing you so you aren't being hit from behind, the incoming damage isn't bad at all.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Thu May 13, 2010 5:43 pm

Yer, that DK was just bad. I tanked that with ~5.3k gs (srs bsns) and those two packs are yawn worthy for whoever's lucky enough to heal me.
Levantine

Postby Boyfriend » Fri May 14, 2010 1:29 am

Another anecdote about UK normal.

My DK tank at 70 (in crafted gear, I care enough for that; but not enough to go too far out of my way and enchant it) did a couple of UK's without major issues, then I had a run with a shaman healer:
Who promptly pronounced my unhealable on the strategist/runecaster packs and left.
Next shaman healer joined, couldn't heal me either complained that I didn't have tank rings and used a resilience trinket and left aswell.
Shadow priest healed me until 2nd boss, then a holy priest joined who blamed me for not tanking the 'shadow bolt' guy properly since he got nukes from him (sigh) and left aswell.
Finally the shadow priest respecced and we finished the instance, next run I was healed by a 68 resto druid without a problem.

It's kind of frustrating for the tank aswell if you just get so many healers that have no idea that UK might be a bit more challenging than TBC instances.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes