Remove Advertisements

[Priest] Disc

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [Priest] Disc

Postby sherck » Fri May 07, 2010 4:38 am

Gracerath wrote: Its fun but some places are fairly difficult to heal. What seems weird is I have an easier time healing heroic ICC 5's (FoS and PoS) than I do heroic ToC 5. I have such a hard time keeping up with the damage on the 3rd phase of the black knight.

Well, that phase of the fight is all about pushing out as much HPS as you can so if you can get your group to close up a bit if ranged, than CoH, PoH, PoM until you cannot stand it. I typically save my Divine Hymn for that phase of the fight as well. Heal a bit until multiple people get to 50%, put Guardian Spirit on the tank and then hit Divine Hymn (Macroed so as to be mana free of course) and sit back for 8 seconds, get everyone up to 100% health and have CoH off of CD in order to get right back into it.

I actually have a harder time with the FC fight in ToC5 if my DPS/Tank are tards. They take WAY too much damage to keep up with when I was just in Heroic blues and entry level epics.

Anyway, it sounds like you have the basics; obviously Holy is build to be casting AoE heals so do so and keep Empowered Renew up and Flash Heal when needed. Good use of Guardian Spirit can make any fight trival for a Holy.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Gracerath » Fri May 07, 2010 5:41 am

Yep thats what I did. Its just stressful. And I've never got through it without at least 1 death. The very first time I healed it, I got the debuff that makes you take extra magic damage and even my divine hymn couldn't keep me up with my poor gear (apparently I just barely made the cut to get in with Blizzard's gear filter). Spirit of Redemption and prayer of healing spam saved the day, luckily.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby hoho » Fri May 07, 2010 6:07 am

That fight is a LOT easier as disc. Yes, holy technically has higher aoe-HPS but disc can put out strong bubbles to people with the debuff or that are simply low followed by penance and regular poh spam. As holy you don't really have fast/powerful single-target heals to save people and you can't keep people up with aoe spam anyway.

Also save your shadowfiend for that phase if possible so you'd have enough mana to spam the hell out of stuff. Obvously keeping PoM on cooldown is good idea aswell.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby daemonym » Mon May 10, 2010 12:00 am

After healing a bunch of UK runs on normal, I'm at a loss as to weather or not I'm terrible or the players I'm running with are. I can't seem to keep everyone alive on the Ingvar fight due to the mass amount of AoE going on and my shields just can't absorb it all. His smash drops the tank to half so I penance orG heal him, in that time another one or two people have been hit by it and he does his roar so I can only renew or shield for two seconds, the tank needs heals again from a crit and I just fall behind. Prayer of healing is way too slow for it to be effective as somebody has died by the time it finishes casting. I'm doing my best to keep shields and renew on everybody in anticipation of the aoe but I always end up needing a G heal or penance on several people at once. I imagine that if nobody got hit by smash, including he tank, things would be far easier.

Thoughts?
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby hoho » Mon May 10, 2010 12:14 am

PoH is slow but it heals for just a bit less than fheal so it's better to spend a bit under 2GCD's to cast one poh than to spend 2GCDs to shield/renew/fheal two different persons, also poh can proc heals while shield/renew doesn't. Also, keep PoM always on cooldown.

If everything else fails there is always hymn. That thing is OP. Best used in combination with inner focus.

[edit]
Also, whenever you are hurt yourself use binding heal instead of fheal to heal someone else. Better than spending 2 GCD's to heal two people, though costs a bit more mana
Leap of Faith:
hoho

Postby Boyfriend » Mon May 10, 2010 2:24 am

UK @ level 70 is actually fairly challenging; if people play badly you won't be able to heal everyone, they will die.

Noone should get hit by smash.

A big part of the issue is that many tanks do not get the full level 70 crafted set, and there is no tank loot available from questing in wotlk 68->70.

Healing gets much easier in the mid 70's as tanks have a chance to gear up.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby hoho » Mon May 10, 2010 2:37 am

Boyfriend wrote:there is no tank loot available from questing in wotlk 68->70
Wrong. Also if someone does normal instances they are likely getting a few drops from them for tanking. Only problem is if they choose not to do it.
Leap of Faith:
hoho

Postby Boyfriend » Mon May 10, 2010 2:42 am

hoho wrote:
Boyfriend wrote:there is no tank loot available from questing in wotlk 68->70
Wrong. Also if someone does normal instances they are likely getting a few drops from them for tanking. Only problem is if they choose not to do it.

Uh out of all the items you linked only 2 are available through questing 68->70. A chest from Howling Fjord and a Shield from Borean Tundra. Which for a DK tank with heirlooms means 0 items.

And TBC instance tanking loot from Sethekk Halls and before is woefully inadequate for UK.
I mean it works but it's a rocky experience for the healer. A level 67 tank is tanking Sethekk Halls and taking hardly any damage, dings one level at 68 and gets 2 shot in UK.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby daemonym » Mon May 10, 2010 3:05 am

Boyfriend wrote: A level 67 tank is tanking Sethekk Halls and taking hardly any damage, dings one level at 68 and gets 2 shot in UK.

This was the case in one run, had a bear as a tank in UK and I was having to spam G heal to keep them up, if I had waited even the global to cast PoM he'd have died. This was fairly common until the tanks I got knew their limits, one group at a time. Meanwhile every instance I did in TBC/vanilla it was shield/renew/yawn.

I'm very relieved to hear that UK is semi-difficult at the level range. Though I've now done 3 runs in the nexus and by god it was easy. The only time I had a problem was when the tank oops'd and pulled 3 groups. Kept him alive till I had out of mana along with everyone else. Shit they even interrupted the mobs that heal. It seems that with a half way decent group and not power-drooling halfwits (tm) this whole healing thing isn't too insanely difficult.

My issue so far isn't one of throughput, but timing. I'm basically relearning every fight so I can precast a heal or pre shield somebody I know is going to get hurt, a bit hard on the mana but I'm managing.

It really seems that I'm going to be wanting haste a lot when I hit 80 just so I can have the training wheels on so to speak. I'll be gearing for haste so I can get the heals off in time and gem for int/sp to help with the throughput and longevity.

Sound like a good plan for a newbie healer?

EDIT: For the subject of tank gear, most tanks probably don't actively seek out quest reawrds and just use whatever "of the bear" things they find. The first REAL tank reward I found was one in the tundra (shoulders so they probably will get vendored because of BoA's) and a shield form a long chain in grizzly hills. Regardless, getting crit every other hit is going to be a pain for anybody, even if you're in great gear for your level like me. So yeah, still annoying and making me question my (potential) ability.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
daemonym

Postby Boyfriend » Mon May 10, 2010 3:30 am

I wouldn't really base your gearing on your experiences in UK @ ~70.

From that point on it just gets easier at least until you get to Heroic HoR (including wearing 'cheat' gear to meet the gear requirements)

I levelled my priest together with a friend that was levelling a DK. And between 72 and HoR heroic we didn't have a single tank death or wipe due to healing. She always tanked, and I always healed, our way through the whole progression.

We didn't use the Cobalt Tank gear @ 70, which was a big mistake, I'm sure it would have made UK alot more managable. I healed my first heroic when I dinged 80 in my quest/instance gear and she tanked in Tempered Saronite set, and it went fine.

Until HoR heroic (which we entered by cheating the gearcheck using dps gear we picked up along the way) I never wished for more throughoutput, and geared for regen simply for practicality, switched in more haste now though to make HoR heroic hiccup free, as with 30k unbuffed she still dies suprisingly fast.

I did everything as holy though, but I don't think disc should be a very different experience (HoR should be easier though as I really only had trouble with tank death, and holy is just shit for healing tanks)
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby Amirya » Mon May 10, 2010 8:55 am

Boyfriend wrote:UK @ level 70 is actually fairly challenging; if people play badly you won't be able to heal everyone, they will die.

Noone should get hit by smash.

This. Also, in p2, make sure people aren't getting hit by the axe. I've had words with people about being stupid about their screen.

If people pay attention, the only time there should be any damage taken at all is in p2 with the aoe smash (dark smash?) that hits everyone. And that's easy enough to heal through with PoH.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Korola » Mon May 10, 2010 9:15 am

My frost DK tank is currently working his way up to 80. I have gotten alot of compliments on my tanking and my survivability. He is 430 BS and 450 ALC and both of these have helped me a ton. I used the cobalt tank gear - this set is very overpowered, especially when my JC makes some +30 STA gems for his BS sockets on wrist and gloves. I went with +18 STA LW enchants on everything except the legs, I had my LW make the +55 STA and 22 AGI enchant. I know most people don't like to waste gold at these levels because the gear is thrown away so quickly, but I have every profession near max and can craft things at AH cost or from my guild bank. At unbuffed 14k hps, 508 defense, 19% dodge, and 15% parry, he could take quite a beating. It wasn't uncommon for him to buff to over 17k hps and this was EZ mode for most healers. I realize that most people don't want to spend the extra money, but I found it a worthwhile investment that probably saved me a ton of time and a couple repair bills.

He has been replacing his gear with the saronite tank stuff as he is closing in on 77. He was at 25k hps, 530 defense, 23% dodge, 16% parry in a DTK the other day. It really makes the dungeon alot easier.

I realize that not every tank you group with will go to this effort. I agree with others - UK is a little more rough on young tanks and healers. The fight with Ingvar gets rough if melee dps stand next to the tank and eat smashes. It also gets hairy if the axe eats folks who don't move.

You can pain supression the tank on P2 for the dark smashes. If you don't have to focus as much on him, the rest of the group gets more attention. As far as AoE damage, PoM always on CD, bubble, penance tank for heal aegis proc, renew on the tank and those really low, and then Prayer of Healing. Divine Hymn if it's up is a lifesaver.

The thing I try to maintain is that I can cycle through bubbles, keep PoM on CD, and the time between bubbles gets used as group filler. You will find your own "shit hits fan" mode.
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby daemonym » Mon May 10, 2010 9:29 am

Korola wrote:Good stuff.

I recently ran with a DK tank that had about those stats, power shield and alt tab was the way to go in that run heh. And yes the melee are constantly eating smash. In p2 the aoe I can handle until, you guessed it, the melee plus tank are relaxing in a whirlwind storm of pain. I did do a run with only semi retarded people and it went smoothly and nobody died, finally. You know there's an issue when G heal spam and pain suppression won't keep your ass alive. And if I had the funding I'd be getting some nice gear and threads made for myself. Funny hearing that from me I know.

What I've been doing to pseudo raid/tank heal is shield somebody for the glyph heal, GCD passes and tank can use a heal, flash heal tank with BT buff, shield another person, blinding heal tank to top myself off, PoM the tank, shield again, penance tank. If there's still significant group damage I'll PoH or just power infuse myself before if the tank feel like they'll need another big heal once the cast finishes. I'm getting the hang of it quickly, but that's trial by fire for you.

I've almost got the healing priority bit down, now I just need to work on managing my mana a bit better. I run oom during the ingvar fight and need a shadow fiend which leaves me with 4k mana after he dies, enough to ride it out. I'm also drinking every otehr pull to top myself off with 5k-ish mana spent every pull. Massive cleaves and bombs dries me up pretty quickly, but I'll just assume that's normal.

From what I've been reading on EJ the 5SR is basically ignored for disc as you almost never are outside of it and so Mp5 is significantly better. I'm definitely seeing the truth of this as somebody always can use a shield.

I wonder though, just how amazing is rapture until toc 25+ gear levels? It seems that the small mana return will just make your power shield free or return an insignificant amount of mana at best, not really a regen mechanic if you ask me. Or am I just underestimating how much int I'll have by then.

daemonym

Postby Doogiehowser » Mon May 10, 2010 11:16 am

Rapture is great, I love it but since it's on a 12 second cooldown, you don't get back as much as you think you would.

Here's our log on a BQL fight where I was a shield bot.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-w ... 027&e=3335

We aren't uber but we got the job done. If you notice, Rapture barely beat out my shadowfiend. I could have gone without Rapture because I ended the fight with well over 75% mana. My gear isn't the greatest either.

Once you hit a certain mana threshold (for me, it was about 30k mana), I never really became worried about mana returns/replenishment.

You're right about being in the 5SR. You should always be casting. I'm at a point where I'm going to start changing out of intel/SP or SP/Spirit or Mp5 gems to straight SP for beef-ier shields. It's hard to go OOM as disc once you get to that the "level" you're talking about.

Rapture certainly helps that sense of mindless spamming but it's not going to make or break your runs. It sounds like you're on the right track though so I'll go back to my hole.
Doogiehowser

Postby Gracerath » Wed May 12, 2010 1:42 am

It really is amazing how a few levels make such a drastic difference. I remember queuing up for UK the moment I hit 68 and it was hard as hell to heal. Especially if you got a 68 tank. Once you start getting to 72ish, you've gained significant rank to your heals, picked up some nice dungeon blues and stuff feels a lot more smooth.

The 2nd boss was always the worst for me to heal as disc. Random charges + random shadow bolts to people that aren't the tank made stuff a bit hairy at the lower end of the level spectrum. For the last boss, just save your shield + penance during the smash's cast in case your tank eats it. Everything else should be mostly avoidable by everyone that isn't the tank.

Its totally normal to go through stacks of water. One hairy pull can drain your entire mana bar from full so even if I was at 50%+, I'd fill up basically every pack. It was annoying but more often than not it was prudent.

Something that is often overlooked is pain suppression. Keep that on a handy clique configuration. I just now finally put guardian spirit on a clique keybind and am training myself to use it. I'm not sure thats the case with you but I had to really drill it into my head to use it more often.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes