[Bear] Halp! My threat generation sucks....

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Bear] Halp! My threat generation sucks....

Postby sherck » Mon May 03, 2010 4:33 pm

I cannot hold an AoE group to save my life. I have been doing Mara Purple side and most pulls are 2 elites and 3-4 non-elites. I have been trying to do these pulls 2 different ways:

WAY #1:
Charge one of the elites
Enrage for group threat (next level will have Barkskin macroed to it to offset the armor loss)
Demo Roar for group threat
Swipe (with Maul macroed to it)
FFF (with skull marker macroed to it)
Swipe (w/Maul), Tab, Swipe (w/Maul), Tab, Swipe (w/Maul), Tab, FFF (w/Maul), etc.

WAY #2:
Charge one of the elites
Swipe (w/Maul), Tab x 100

This is Mara so as soon as I get Gouged or Thunderclapped, I know that I am not losing aggro but I am losing control as the mobs run off to attack someone else while I am incapacitated.

The problem is that even when not incapaciated, I am losing aggro on all mobs with the exception of the two that got my first Maul (which was attached to my first Swipe). I was routinely doing my pulls with WAY #1 until I started losing mobs all the time and now I am trying to click-fest/tab my way around the mobs landing Maul on as many diffent targets as possible.

But I cannot hold mobs once the AoE starts...typically Mages rip them fastest but I have lost mobs to many, many different AoE DPS classes.

Halp !

Here my armory sheet; he is only level 43
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aerie+Peak&cn=Bloodtrees

As an aside, I healed a level 43 Paladin though Mara Purple side and we had perhaps the best group of DPS I have run with and I don't think I ever saw him lose a mob to aggro; incapacitations, yes, aggro problems, no.

Sigh, I am very frusterated.

Cheers,
sherck

Re: [Bear] Halp! My threat generation sucks....

Postby amh » Tue May 04, 2010 2:31 am

Heading out, but I'll return to this discussion in a few hours. Should be interesting.

First of all, any particular reason why you don't have the BoA-mace? I'm going to assume you're losing aggro against BoA-geared toons, and the weapon is by far the most important part of it.

Secondly, you haven't picked up Primal Precision. That's 10 expertise straight up, well worth the points. Either:
a) Level up twice, invest points in PP
or
b) Respec, move the points from Feral Swiftness into PP. You'll run slow in cat-form for a couple of levels, but your threat will increase right away.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby sherck » Tue May 04, 2010 3:03 am

amh wrote: First of all, any particular reason why you don't have the BoA-mace? I'm going to assume you're losing aggro against BoA-geared toons, and the weapon is by far the most important part of it.

No real reason I don't have it other than I ran out of emblems. I was primarily going to use this toon as resto / balance but then decided at some point to try tanking because the RDF queues were too long even as a healer.

amh wrote:Secondly, you haven't picked up Primal Precision. That's 10 expertise straight up, well worth the points. Either:
a) Level up twice, invest points in PP
or
b) Respec, move the points from Feral Swiftness into PP. You'll run slow in cat-form for a couple of levels, but your threat will increase right away.

Well, my main purpose in taking Feral Swiftness was for the bear Dodge; I don't cat it up much since I am chain running instances, I am almost level 45 and have completed 109 quests. But it might be worth it to move points over. Thanks much.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue May 04, 2010 5:49 am

I've ran mara puple myself on my shammy.. it's a giant AOE fest so it's a pain to tank it and maintain full aggro.. I did the marks for the group and it didn't matter - everyone just AoE'd like nuts..
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Tue May 04, 2010 6:10 am

Is anyone dying? If it's Mara Purple, my guess would be that the mobs you're having trouble with are the Sprites. They are non-elite and don't hit very hard, so don't worry too much if a mage takes a couple hits. You're full bear spec, the healer is probably falling asleep at his keyboard anyway.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby sherck » Tue May 04, 2010 7:15 am

Grehn|Skipjack wrote:Is anyone dying? If it's Mara Purple, my guess would be that the mobs you're having trouble with are the Sprites. They are non-elite and don't hit very hard, so don't worry too much if a mage takes a couple hits. You're full bear spec, the healer is probably falling asleep at his keyboard anyway.

Lol, that is true, the good healers are never below 80% mana and the bad ones let me learn to use my CDs a lot!!

No, no one is dying; but I hate losing control of the mobs for any reason!!!

Looking back at recount, the Mage that was truely pulling from me averaged 200 DPS over the run while I only averaged 85 DPS. That right there is probably the biggest reason I was losing to him.

Since I posted, I have run about 10 more Mara runs and have gotten better at holding them. Hitting level 44 and getting a new rank of Swipe seems to have helped massively.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby blakk » Tue May 04, 2010 10:19 am

On my druid i was having trouble with rage generation on these packs. i'd enrage before the pull let it get nearly all the way though then run (not charge) and swipe away and wouldn't be able to maul because my rage would be stuck at a low level.
blakk

Postby semp » Tue May 04, 2010 11:15 am

maul macroed to every ability and make sure its glyphed. bear aoe threat is tabbing all over to spread maul as much as possible. buy the boa mace if you can, your weapon is a large source of your threat through feral AP. If i was leveling my druid right now, I would have Maul and mangle glyphed for instancing as threat should be more of an issue than survival.
semp

Postby Kelaan » Tue May 04, 2010 2:41 pm

semp wrote:If i was leveling my druid right now, I would have Maul and mangle glyphed for instancing as threat should be more of an issue than survival.

I have Maul and Rebirth glyphed. For most of leveling, you won't have Mangle, and by the time I do, I tend to still be spending my rage on swipes and mauls more than Mangles. More importantly, you can tank pretty much everything up through ramparts in "cat" gear, for better DPS, with a few items (like the +25 stats trinket, and some of the high-stam Hellfire Peninsula quest legs) swapped in if you need them. I've not felt threatened by anyone's threat EVER, unless mages start AOE early, and now with some DKs ... who self-heal anyways. ;)

Will I glyph Mangle later? Certainly. For now, though, with only 2 major glyph slots, I've not felt like I needed it. I mean, it's good, but ... have yet to see the need. It's even in my bags for the day I do want it. :D
Kelaan

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes