Remove Advertisements

[PVE-Priest] leveling healing spec?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[PVE-Priest] leveling healing spec?

Postby Devistasion » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:42 am

Ok guys here is the deal. I am leveling a priest to eventually heal but right now he is shadow. I want to start healing at about 60 which spec is more viable at that level disc or holy. I know that disc is more mitigation and holy is more big heals. Thanks for the input in advance ;)
Bronzebeard
82 Holy/Ret BE Paladin Devistasion
85 Gnome Destro PVE/Affliction PVP Warlock TÄinted
85 NE Resto/Balance Druid Moonshìne
82 DR BM leveling PVE/ Marksman PVP Hunter Nelix
85 DR Resto/Elemental Shaman Icys
73 Sub/Combat Worgen Rogue Lostinshadow
78 Disc/shadow DR Priest Laforge
70 Arms/Fury Goblin Warrior Nìghtbane
36 Änomoly Frost/Arcane Goblin Mage

DarkSpear
85 Frost/Blood Human DK Devistasion
19 Balance Worgen Druid Sakhamet
I know Altoholics Anonymous is for me...
Devistasion

Re: [PVE-Priest] leveling healing spec?

Postby Jasari » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:50 am

All three specs are very viable healing specs while leveling. I would stick with shadow if I were you (unless you want to buy dual specs), nothing hits hard enough to require any actual healing talents, and dispersion + decreased shadow fiend CD will keep you mana pool full better than anything in the disc/holy trees.

If you insist on a healing spec, I'd probably go disc just because PI is a fun toy to have.
Jasari

Postby blakk » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:38 am

PI+Holy Nova for awesome deeps. (my cousin does this at lvl 48)
blakk

Postby katraya » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:48 am

There is a pretty helpful guide to leveling a healing priest on Plus Heal:
http://www.plusheal.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3623

I'd agree the Discipline would probably the better way to go. However, it may be a good idea to place at least 10 points into Holy for Holy Specialization (crit) and Divine Fury (cast time reduction). (Note: Cast time reduction only effects Greater Heal and your holy damage spells. If you won't be soloing/doing damage as holy then this is less useful.)
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby sherck » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:29 am

katraya wrote: I'd agree the Discipline would probably the better way to go. However, it may be a good idea to place at least 10 points into Holy for Holy Specialization (crit) and Divine Fury (cast time reduction). (Note: Cast time reduction only effects Greater Heal and your holy damage spells. If you won't be soloing/doing damage as holy then this is less useful.)

Agree with this. When I leveled my Priest, I actually had about 7 points in Shadow (for Spirit Tap and the +10% damage to Shadow spells) and like 10 points in Holy (for Divine Fury and Holy Spec) and then when the rest into Disc making sure to also pick up talents that increased damage.

You have some pretty good survivability with Disc and PW:S and some pretty good damage output capability with the increased talent damage. When I was DPS for an instance, I often was the #2 DPS in just about any part. SW:P on multiple target, Holy Fire on primary target and then Smite until it was time to DoT them up again. You were backup heals as well if something "bad" happened.

But, this is if you are not dual-specced. If you are dual-specced, full Shadow for leveling and full Disc for healing.

Cheers,
sherck

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes