Remove Advertisements

BoA Rogue - OMG so powerful.

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: BoA Rogue - OMG so powerful.

Postby Chicken » Fri May 28, 2010 6:37 am

Korola wrote:I have played other MMO's where they reward you if you can make your ass numb playing the game. Which has never made sense to me because you aren't paying them by the minute.
For the Western market it definitely makes sense yes, since getting people to stay online more just ends up meaning you need more bandwidth. Optimally you'd actually have people who keep paying their subscription yet don't play at all. The Asian market is typically different though, often using payment based on actual time played, in those cases it makes the most sense to keep people playing as much as possible, as that's the only way the companies running things will make money. So what'd be an optimal customer for the Western MMO market would be a terrible one for the Asian MMO market.

Of course there's still plenty of American developed MMO's which encourage you to spend as much time as humanly possible playing them while nevertheless using a monthly subscription plan, but encouraging people to play as much as possible definitely makes sense from a moneymaking perspective for most Korean developed MMO's. Oddly of course in some ways the monthly subscription based plans "reward" you for playing as much as possible since you're then getting more of the game for less money, but I suspect that if you're at that point you should be wondering to yourself if you're enjoying the game in a healthy manner.
Chicken

Postby Korola » Fri May 28, 2010 1:10 pm

Chicken wrote:
Korola wrote:I have played other MMO's where they reward you if you can make your ass numb playing the game. Which has never made sense to me because you aren't paying them by the minute.
For the Western market it definitely makes sense yes, since getting people to stay online more just ends up meaning you need more bandwidth. Optimally you'd actually have people who keep paying their subscription yet don't play at all. The Asian market is typically different though, often using payment based on actual time played, in those cases it makes the most sense to keep people playing as much as possible, as that's the only way the companies running things will make money. So what'd be an optimal customer for the Western MMO market would be a terrible one for the Asian MMO market.

Of course there's still plenty of American developed MMO's which encourage you to spend as much time as humanly possible playing them while nevertheless using a monthly subscription plan, but encouraging people to play as much as possible definitely makes sense from a moneymaking perspective for most Korean developed MMO's. Oddly of course in some ways the monthly subscription based plans "reward" you for playing as much as possible since you're then getting more of the game for less money, but I suspect that if you're at that point you should be wondering to yourself if you're enjoying the game in a healthy manner.

All about my personal time management. I could really understand it if I had to put a dollar in every 5 minutes, but on a flat $15 a month - it makes little sense from a business standpoint. I understand your point about the Asian market and appreciate your insight. I have really always liked the 'bang for your buck'. I don't watch the NBA regular season, but watch the playoffs. Same with Major League Baseball. Don't like to watch the St. Jude Classic - but I will watch Tiger at the Masters. Give me the Super Bowl and the Lich King and I'm happy. Save me from mining for 4 hours non stop. I'll buy the ore, prospect it, turn it into blue gems, mail em to my alchemist, and lowball the AH on the green crap gems and smile all day making 3 times what I spent on the ore. 4 hours farming or 20 minutes AH - prospect - xmute - cut - AH. I will take that 6 ways till Sunday.
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby Jasari » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:07 am

To get back to the topic of OP BoA Alts.

I decided to respec to Prot on my ~40 warriors as it was getting annoying being rage starved tanking as arms and I've had a lot of fun. My AOE DPS is ridiculous with glyphed cleave and I finish most instances with about 60% of the total damage done, even with other BoA mages in the group occasionally.

The Heirloom items were one of the best additions to WoW ever. Combined with the new dungeon feature, they make leveling actually fun again. Unfortunately it'll mean that by the time Cataclysm ships, I'll have an 80 of just about every single class and have a tough decision to make as to which will be my main. Plus I'll probably want to level a Goblin to experience the new 1-60 content. Fun times!
Jasari

Postby Levantine » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:53 am

I heart the weapon heirlooms on my melee alts so so so so so much. <3~~~
Levantine

Postby Shoju » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:18 am

Levantine wrote:I heart the weapon heirlooms on my melee alts so so so so so much. <3~~~

The melee heirlooms are incredibly OP. I just recently started an Ally paladin to kill time, and the 2h'd axe is INSANE. It hits for a truckload.

I'm currently debating picking up the melee trinkets. I have the spellpower trinkets for my caster alts to play with, but I have never noticed how useful the mana back proc is (all of my caster alts have been healers)

Is the health back noticeable? Is the haste noticeable? I have thought about picking them up as the health back could be nifty when I get into tanking dungeons (only 12 now) but I wasn't sure. if they were worth it or not.
Shoju

Postby Korola » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:34 am

Jasari wrote:To get back to the topic of OP BoA Alts.

I decided to respec to Prot on my ~40 warriors as it was getting annoying being rage starved tanking as arms and I've had a lot of fun. My AOE DPS is ridiculous with glyphed cleave and I finish most instances with about 60% of the total damage done, even with other BoA mages in the group occasionally.

The Heirloom items were one of the best additions to WoW ever. Combined with the new dungeon feature, they make leveling actually fun again. Unfortunately it'll mean that by the time Cataclysm ships, I'll have an 80 of just about every single class and have a tough decision to make as to which will be my main. Plus I'll probably want to level a Goblin to experience the new 1-60 content. Fun times!

Had a run with a 71 warrior doing 1500 dps while tanking. BoA gear is one of the best additions to the game. I'm guessing it isn't going to compare to tier gear for stats by any margin in Cata - but the 20% exp bonus is going to be hard to turn away while leveling in Cata. I can see wearing the shoulders and chest because you could do quests half naked anyways.
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:39 am

The heirlooms aren't going to work 81-85, Blizzard want people to level without them at least at first. They've said they may add new heirlooms obtainable at 85 that cover the gap.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby hoho » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:40 am

My warr is doing 1.5k without heirlooms at L71 :P

As for XP, notice how it sais L1-80 on the items. You won't get any XP bonus from them for cata leveling from 80+. Though there will be some new (craftable?) heirlooms coming later on.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Korola » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:50 am

hoho wrote:My warr is doing 1.5k without heirlooms at L71 :P

As for XP, notice how it sais L1-80 on the items. You won't get any XP bonus from them for cata leveling from 80+. Though there will be some new (craftable?) heirlooms coming later on.

They could patch 1-85 on the gear, could...

But I guess they intended to shorten the grind from 1-80 and not so much 80-85 when they designed it. Craftable makes me happy.
Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:22 am

Shoju wrote:
Levantine wrote:I heart the weapon heirlooms on my melee alts so so so so so much. <3~~~

The melee heirlooms are incredibly OP. I just recently started an Ally paladin to kill time, and the 2h'd axe is INSANE. It hits for a truckload.

Not only does it hit like a truck, the BoA weapons [b]never get stale[b], which means you ALWAYS have pretty much the best you can get - esp when you enchant them.

I'm currently debating picking up the melee trinkets... Is the health back noticeable?

My druid (bear) uses two of them. I don't notice it while tanking (I rarely get kills) but it's ~4% faster rage generation (lol), and better than No Trinket. When soloing, it helps, and on a warrior is probably a more potent tool if you get a bad pull than for a class that can emergency-heal. They're close enough to trinkets you get while leveling that I have never replaced them.

Before Outland, they're pretty much BIS. After you do Overlord, you could have the def/++health tanking trinket ... but I never remember to push buttons anyways. Buy two, and use them when you level future alts too.

edit: The heirlooms have done a great job of making leveling alts a less-painful thing. As a result, I have two toons at 80 instead of one, and will have a druid at 80 by the time Cataclysm hits. (Irony: all three are tanks ;)) It removes the pain of "does my gear suck?" from leveling, because you know it's always good. (Same for the RDF reward packs. Ready-made twink gear for leveling.)
Kelaan

Postby Flex » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:16 pm

Latest heirloom leveled alt hit 80 in 5 days 23 hours and 47 minutes of play time, I probably shaved about a day off of my leveling with them.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:55 pm

On the subject of the HP Loom trinkets, I haven't found them to be particularly powerful, but they're certainly better than nothing. Replaceable by blue Outland trinkets or green Northrend trinkets easily. The Mana trinkets, on the other hand, are invaluable. Doubling them up gets you 4% max mana back per kill, which can drastically reduce downtime for some of the more inefficient casters. I don't think I would have gotten my Ele Shaman as far as I did without them.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Shyrtandros » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:27 pm

Hewo!

Hey I plan to make a Gobby Warrior when Cat comes out and I'm going to FULLY deck him out with trinks, chest, shoulders, bow, and weapons

My question is - what are the best weapons.. I'll probably use a 2 hander until I get some shield abilities because without a doubt I will be tanking on him also.

So - What are the best 2 hander and the best 1 hander?

I have the 2 handed sword from when I was leveling my pally and it has crusader on it.. I also have the 1 hander mace with +15 agility from leveling my shaman.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby bldavis » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:00 pm

i am using the 2hd sword and 1hd sword on my warrior, 1hd has feiry on it, and havent enchanted the 2hd yet

but between my fiery, my boa chest and shoulders, and just basic tanking knowlede, i can hit a mob 3 times in Mara (shes 48 atm) and not have it budge from me....

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Levantine » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:24 pm

So Fiery procs like crazy on 2.8 speed weapons. Nom nom nom nom nom my baby rogue loves her Dal'Rends.
Levantine

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes