[Warrior] Cataclysm class preview

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [Warrior] Cataclysm class preview

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:12 pm

In some of the latest posts in the topic, GC is saying that Heroic Leap will deal "massive damage" when you land.

Edit: And what the heck is with all the Warriors complaining about it? Don't they want to be able to sometimes use a new, super-powerful Charge instead of the ordinary one?
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Flex » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:38 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:Edit: And what the heck is with all the Warriors complaining about it? Don't they want to be able to sometimes use a new, super-powerful Charge instead of the ordinary one?

No. They want their current problems to be fixed in the future even if those current problems wont exist in the future.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby mavfin » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:22 am

Flex wrote:
KysenMurrin wrote:Edit: And what the heck is with all the Warriors complaining about it? Don't they want to be able to sometimes use a new, super-powerful Charge instead of the ordinary one?

No. They want their current problems to be fixed in the future even if those current problems wont exist in the future.

Yeah, some of the warriors are like some of the paladins. Wouldn't be happy if you hung them with a new rope. :mrgreen:
--Mav
mavfin

Postby Chicken » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:45 am

Shoju wrote:I doubt it gets culled. they plan on making str based 1h'd weapons for Dw-ing Frost DK's. This gives them a couple of specs to gear them towards.
Not to mention that of course one-handed dps weapons with strength have some appeal to tanks as well. Though in some ways it wouldn't surprise me too much if they get rid of the idea of the tanking one-handed weapon and just use the strength one-handed weapon in it's place.
Chicken

Postby Hokahey » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:18 am

KysenMurrin wrote:In some of the latest posts in the topic, GC is saying that Heroic Leap will deal "massive damage" when you land.

In the interest of class balance, I can't see it doing much more damage per target than Intercept. Mind you, I'd be perfectly satisfied at this point with the stun by itself. I'm guessing its going to work almost exactly like the rocket packs on Gunship.
Hokahey

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:35 am

Intercept does 12% of your AP as damage. TClap does 300+12% of your AP as damage. GC says he thinks HL will do more damage than TClap. If the CD is something like a minute, I don't see any reason it couldn't hit for ~2k per target.

Edit: Fixed TClap Coefficient.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Hokahey » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:10 am

I suppose. This ability is adding up to "way too awesome" very quickly, though, even with a 1 minute cooldown.
Hokahey

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:01 am

That's probably why they're not decided if it'll be useable in combat or not. It might remain as opener-only, if it seems to strong.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Hokahey » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:00 am

If they don't have it at least talented to be useable in combat, it will basically be a superfluous ability, and almost never used as a result. I don't see that as likely.

Until Blizzard says that it absolutely won't be useable in combat, I'll assume it will be. With that, I'm thinking a 2 minute cooldown, so that it doesn't make Charge itself obsolete, and it doesn't become "just another pull ability".
Hokahey

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:14 am

Hokahey wrote:Until Blizzard says that it absolutely won't be useable in combat, I'll assume it will be. With that, I'm thinking a 2 minute cooldown, so that it doesn't make Charge itself obsolete, and it doesn't become "just another pull ability".

What's wrong with making charge obsolete?
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Hokahey » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:26 am

fuzzygeek wrote:
Hokahey wrote:Until Blizzard says that it absolutely won't be useable in combat, I'll assume it will be. With that, I'm thinking a 2 minute cooldown, so that it doesn't make Charge itself obsolete, and it doesn't become "just another pull ability".

What's wrong with making charge obsolete?

I believe that would be against Ghostcrawler's stated intent with the design of the new lvl 81+ abilities for Cataclysm. Otherwise, there's very little "wrong" with it, per se.
Hokahey

Postby fafhrd » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:36 pm

Hokahey wrote:I suppose. This ability is adding up to "way too awesome" very quickly, though, even with a 1 minute cooldown.

How so? Even with "massive damage" it sounds like charge+thunderclap, i.e. pretty pointless. If it didn't share a cooldown with charge, or was usable in berserker stance so fury warriors could use it instead of charge like in beta it would be nice, but right now it's just new animation from a DPS warrior point of view (and I doubt the "massive damage" is going to be all that massive for long before it gets nerfed to being about the same damage as a whirlwind for PvP reasons).

The HS changes address the scaling with rage issues somewhat, but if anything make fury gameplay even more annoying, in that now you'll be using HS as a gcd filler (like steadyshot is for hunters currently), and enjoying the wonderful world of your latency and FPS being a bigger determinant of your DPS than the last 4 pieces of gear you upgraded.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby fafhrd » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:39 pm

Hokahey wrote:If they don't have it at least talented to be useable in combat, it will basically be a superfluous ability, and almost never used as a result. I don't see that as likely.

Until Blizzard says that it absolutely won't be useable in combat, I'll assume it will be. With that, I'm thinking a 2 minute cooldown, so that it doesn't make Charge itself obsolete, and it doesn't become "just another pull ability".

Well the talents GC said would make it usable in combat are also the talents that make charge usable in combat, and it still accomplishes nothing that charge doesn't other than some unspecified amount of damage, so it's still quite meh even talented to be used in combat. It'll probably be nice for prot if that's what you guys are getting at yes, since it's Tclap+threat, but for arms it's just charge, and for fury it's not usable anyway since it requires battle stance.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:10 pm

Supposing the damage is worth it, there's no reason Fury couldn't just stance dance to use it. They're looking at a design that doesn't nuke your rage when you switch, so given the right numbers, I could see it performing. That's assuming it requires Battle Stance at all anyway.
HL to trash group, Whirlwind, Cleavespam. With a 1m+ CD, it damn well better do some damage.
When it gets right down to it, there's no reason to write the ability off before it's even been tested and tweaked. If they really can't come up with a way for it to be a fun ability, they'll axe it and start over.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:42 pm

Hokahey wrote:I believe that would be against Ghostcrawler's stated intent with the design of the new lvl 81+ abilities for Cataclysm. Otherwise, there's very little "wrong" with it, per se.

Oh? I didn't see that re: the 81+ talents specifically. I do know they have no problems with later skills replacing earlier skills. Sunder -> Devastate, and the like.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes