[Ret-PVE] Gemming blue sockets, someone check my logic

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Ret-PVE] Gemming blue sockets, someone check my logic

Postby ceela » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:26 am

I noticed that Rawr thought I should be putting a nightmare tear in my Bryntroll's blue socket to activate +6 str bonus (even though my meta is already active). I thought conventional wisdom was 20 str in red/blue, 10str/10crit in yellow and one tear to activate the meta, but if I do the maths I end up with more AP from following rawr just for activating the socket bonus.

Assuming Kings for 10% to all stats, and divine strength for another 15% to str:

Bold cardinal ruby:
20 str. Kings and talents turn it into 27 str, which is 54 ap.

Nightmare tear:
6 str for bonus, 10 str and 10 agi for gem.
16 str becomes 21.6 str after kings and talent, which is 43.2 ap.
10 agi becomes 11 after kings, which is another 11ap. Total AP is 54.2.

Even ignoring fractions, that's equivalent AP and I get crit from the agi as well. Did I miss the memo for ret gemming, or is there something wrong with my maths or a modifier to str I'm forgetting?
Ceela <XW> Neptulon-EU
Ceela | Emeta
ceela
Maintankadonor

Re: [Ret-PVE] Gemming blue sockets, someone check my logic

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:30 am

Paladins don't get Attack Power from Agility, the only benefit is a small amount of Crit.

If your meta was already activated, Rawr must have just been telling you to match the Tear to a better bonus than the one you used, since they're unique.
Last edited by KysenMurrin on Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby ceela » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:32 am

KysenMurrin wrote:Paladins don't get Attack Power from Agility, the only benefit is a small amount of Crit.

Hah! I knew there was something obvious, thanks. I wonder why rawr insists its higher then, I would hope it's not making that same mistake...
Ceela <XW> Neptulon-EU
Ceela | Emeta
ceela
Maintankadonor

Postby Boyfriend » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:32 am

Without gemming restrictions rawr wants to put nightmare's tear in everything. But you can only have 1 nightmare's tear, since it's unique.

[edit]
Agi is almost equivalent to critrating.

Nightmare's tears are basically 10 str 9 crit gems. Which makes them suitable for getting socket bonuses, even if theoretically you didn't need a blue gem.
But you need one for meta; and that should be a nightmare's tear, and you can only have one.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby ceela » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:39 am

Yeah, I was just looking at the agi->crit return and worked out the 10str/9crit equivalence, and I had forgotten about uniqueness. *looks at empty coffee mug* I think I need some more of that...

Anyway, easy answer is to poke rawr with sticks a bit more and see where I turned off gem restrictions. I need to move the tear to a +6 str socket anyway, but I think I'm replacing my belt tonight so that should be easy. Thanks for pointing out my nubbishness :)
Ceela <XW> Neptulon-EU
Ceela | Emeta
ceela
Maintankadonor

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes