Remove Advertisements

[PVP] A paladin, new to ganking

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[PVP] A paladin, new to ganking

Postby winterbourne » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:20 am

Hey there, 'adins. I'm a raid main tank for my guild, and have been focusing on Protection since I dinged 80. With my guild getting to about the limits of its capabilities in raids (Putricide, Dreamwalker, The Princes), I wanted to take a good long look at PVP, and get some experience in it, see if I enjoy it. Load up on achievements before Cataclysm, that sort of thing. The 3.3.3 change to honor and purchases sealed the deal for me. I sold some shards to buy a PVP mount and am now ready to embark on some serious honor-grinding for fun and profit :)

My question is one of spec. I have my main PVE tank, and will use my offspec for this PVP thing. I have an outdated (read 219 gear) PVE ret set and nothing else, other than some cast-off 251 holy pieces that i saved from sharding. So I can start over with a healthy bucket of triumph emblems to buy into the game.

So, as a complete n00b (5k honor kills are just the by-product of guild wars and grinding in Wintergrasp), who wants to focus almost exclusively on battlegrounds, which way should I go? Ret? Holy? Protret? Arenas are way off in the distance, and I would rather choose a spec I really enjoy for that, regardless of how well-built it is for arena life. For now, what would you suggest to be one bad paladin mofo in the battlegrounds on the Vengeance Battlegroup for the time being?

Thanks in advance!
winterbourne

Re: [PVP] A paladin, new to ganking

Postby Elsie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:26 am

You may want to check into this thread: http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... =viewtopic

Regardless, I think you answered your own question. Choose a spec you really enjoy regardless of how "well-built" it is for arena. Since you don't have much PVP gear, I'd say you should probably stick prot for now and queue with a healer when you can. A pve geared protection paladin can be a mean, lean, flag running machine - though casters will inevitably blow you up now and then. Most of the Protret and Ret gear is the same, so focus on that first unless you really enjoy holy (most find it boring in BGs from what I've heard).
Elsie

Postby winterbourne » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:22 am

Thanks for the advice! I checked the thread earlier, you clearly are in the know. It focuses on comps and arena advice mostly, so I was hoping for some bare-bones BG thoughts. I'm leaning heavily towards going full-on retribution, just for the catharsis of seeing big damage numbers, something I never experience as a 3k dps tank.

Looks like I can buy four pieces of Furious gear right off the bat for triumphs, and it seems there are a few pieces of Relentless that are available for straight-out honor, is that right? No arena ranking needed for things like "Relentless Gladiator's Girdle of Triumph" ? Wowhead says no, but I know they used to...

From what I am reading, I will gain a crap-ton of strength, resilience, and crit and from that point, I can just bash things into paste. Is it that simple? These eight pieces (plus maybe a trinket to replace my DMC:G) and a ret libram and then its just enchants, gems, and learning my rotation and honing reaction speed?

This feels like it will be a load of fun.
winterbourne

Postby econ21 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:22 am

I think you can get 4 wrathful pieces for honour only (neck, cloak, ring, bracers).
You can get relentless belt, ring #2 and boots for honour alone.
You can get furious helm, shoulders, gloves, chest and legs for either honour or emblems of triumph. But I use the Wintergrasp shoulders as they are easier to get and you only need 4pc for the furious set bonus.

I've read some PvP ret people argue for using PvE offset pieces rather than PvP ones because they have strength rather than AP. However, playing Prot in PvP, I have gone for PvP gear across the board as I like the protection their resilience provides against casters.
econ21

Postby Elsie » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:37 am

@econ21
As ret, there's really no reason to be getting PvE pieces except in specific circumstances, and even then only if you can get the 277 versions (heroic ICC). Usually this is restricted to the neck, trinkets, ring, and cloak (relentless ring is bad returns now). However, usually all PvP (except ring, trinket, libram) is preferable because ret is squishy.
*As an example, I start off in 5v5 wearing full PvP gear. However, in 5v5 you often play the same teams fairly often. If I'm not their kill target, I'll often swap in 2pc t10 (264 version). This isn't necessary, but the procs can be a lot of pressure in 5s.

As Prot, I would more recommend replacing both your rings, neck, and cloak. The reason is prot relies a lot more heavily on strength (spell power and BV come from STR) whereas Ret relies on AP (SP from AP). Also Prot has less of a need for resilience due to higher innate damage reductions.
Elsie

Postby phaqueue » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:44 am

If you're looking to go straight BGs, full ret is fun...

as ret - you can generally wreck people in BGs, especially if you can get a healer to follow you around (if you have an arena partner in mind - running as a pair in BGs can help you guys get better as a team)

I usually recommend full ret if you plan to run BGs solo or with a healer... prot can be fun and see some big numbers, but you will find yourself out of mana a lot more often than ret will (at least I did) and personally - I enjoy ret a lot more...

really though - for BGs, just do what you enjoy
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby bldavis » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:16 am

i have a full ret set for bg's (and soon to be arena's in 2v2 with a holy pally) EXCEPT for AV Blitz's

then i just where my full PVE MT gear, i normally hit 50k and with my armor, i beat almost everything down before im taken down.

but for any others, i would say go full-ret, its a blast running into a pack of horde (or allaince for those Belfs out there) and emerging the only one standing

as far as gearing up, i took my hunter in 3 peice deadly and hateful gear to full furious and all teh wrathful peice i can get in about 1 1/2 days i went from around 400 resil to over 1k, just sign up for random BG's (esp if the holiday is WSG /shudder) and if you win thats 2k honor on top of w/e you win in the bg!

and remember to do your WG weeklys, i normally get 14k+ honor from 3 quests alone

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes