[Holy] Gem choices

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Holy] Gem choices

Postby Drexanna » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:59 am

Well, the Holy guide doesn't seem to work any more, so I figured I would ask here. What should I do with Blue gem slots as a holy paladin?

At the moment I have been putting +16 int gems into my sockets regardless of colour, to try and increase my mana pool. Is this a good plan?

Also, what meta gem would be a good one to go for? Currently I don't have one socketed, of course once I get the meta I will need to change some gems to activate it. My pally is a blacksmith, so I have a few extra prismatic sockets kicking around too.

Thanks
Drexanna

Re: [Holy] Gem choices

Postby Baelor » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:04 am

Drexanna wrote:Well, the Holy guide doesn't seem to work any more, so I figured I would ask here. What should I do with Blue gem slots as a holy paladin?

At the moment I have been putting +16 int gems into my sockets regardless of colour, to try and increase my mana pool. Is this a good plan?

Also, what meta gem would be a good one to go for? Currently I don't have one socketed, of course once I get the meta I will need to change some gems to activate it. My pally is a blacksmith, so I have a few extra prismatic sockets kicking around too.

Thanks

If going for a Holy Light build:
Insightful meta
One green (int & mana/5) one orange (spell power & int) for meta requirements.
Yellow (int) in the rest.

If going for a Flash of Light build:
Insightful meta
Fulfill socket bonuses using spell power, int, and mana/5 stats.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Shyrtandros » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:06 am

Baelor wrote:
Drexanna wrote:Well, the Holy guide doesn't seem to work any more, so I figured I would ask here. What should I do with Blue gem slots as a holy paladin?

Thanks

If going for a Holy Light build:
Insightful meta
One green (int & mana/5) one orange (spell power & int) for meta requirements.
Yellow (int) in the rest.

If going for a Flash of Light build:
Insightful meta
Fulfill socket bonuses using spell power, int, and mana/5 stats.

I approve of said advice ! :)

Intellect = God stat for Holy Pally Gemming.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Baelor » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:13 am

I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby sherck » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:34 am

The thing that I started doing that I really like for Holy Light builds is put a Nightmare Tear in your helm to activiate your Insightful Earthseige and then gem all Brilliant gems everywhere else.

Typically, your helm bonus is one of your best ones (+ 9 SP or +8 Haste) so it is good to get that bonus. Rarely will you get a bigger bonus in any of your gear.

But in 232 + gear, almost all of the socket bonuses are + Spell Power and that is just not that big of a deal to a Holy Light build Pally.

This is the same argument that Ret has in that a single non-Bold cut gem in any sockets is always better DPS than having more than one non-Bold cut, pretty much regardless of socket bonus.

Having only one non-Brilliant cut gem for HL build is very good.

Heck, I even replaced my SP enchants on my bracers and my weapon with the + Intellect enchants. Throughput is just not a problem, longevitity is.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Aanar » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:33 am

The difference in gemming between HL and FoL builds for some reason is one of the bigger things that irritates me about Paladin healing.

If you set yourself up for the longenvity that HL needs with int gems, the ilvl 200 HL mana reduction libram, glyph of seal of wisdom for 5% mana savings, then your FoL is still usable but nothing to write home about. (Holy shock takes a beeting too).

If you go the other way and gem for SP, grab the pvp FoL libram (375 FoL sp for the ilvl 232 honor only one), and glyph of seal of light (5% more healing), then your FoL is beefy, but if you try to use too many HL, your mana doesn't last long enough.

Librams are easy enough to switch out and glyphs are cheap enough to grab a stack of each, but regemming is too expensive to be practical on a regular basis.

I don't know. On one hand it's nice to have meaningful choices to make in this regard. On the other, this choice of taking an already limited healing spell lineup and focusing it on mainly one spell is a choice other healers don't have to make.

I have a resto druid and disc/holy priest too. Their power increase as they got better gear was much much smoother than a paladin. People died in heroics often with my paladin until I switched to a FoL focus and got some haste on my gear. But now that he's focused that way, he just doesnt' have the throughput people expect for things like Festergut10. So it looks like it's time to switch to a HL build if I want to raid with him.

I think it just feels like a Holy Paladin is too specialized for fights with heavy damage on two people. If you're the only holy pal for ICC10, it really should be a HL build. If two of your healers are paladins, it's probably better if 1 is a FoL pally. And if you get in some pug that grabbed 3 holy pallies, its time to bail because they obviously don't know how to build a raid. O_o
Aanar

Postby Vorianloken » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:46 pm

I've been in an Ulduar25 *patch 3.1 times* with 3 holy paladins, 1 resto sham and 2 resto druids. We didn't have a problem and went as far as thorim.
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby Aanar » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:27 pm

Oh yes, for a 25man, 3 pallies is very workable. For 10 man it's pretty rough unless it's at the point that most people outgear it by quite a bit. I had a pug invite 3 pallies for toc10 months ago. That did not end well. It goes the other way too now. I was in a ICC10 pug with my druid and without a pally healer, it was hard to keep the tanks up on marrowgar. I'm sure with better players it would have been fine, but it left me wishing they could have gotten a holy pally. :)
Aanar

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes