Remove Advertisements

Leveling a Rogue

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: Leveling a Rogue

Postby Kelaan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:32 pm

Pretty much -- you could even use the normal Thrash Blade from Maraudon in pairing with it.

Killing things faster is, I believe, the reason for the decreased downtime. As Sub, you need to rely on tricks to get through bad pulls; apparently Combat just powers through them?
Kelaan

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:07 pm

As combat, you just power through mobs with SS and Evis. As Sub, you power through mobs with Ambush and Evis. Sub is more reliant on their openers, but their escape skills are up more often. Argh, I so want Sub to be competitive with Mut and Combat specs. I like the playstyle a lot more.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Elsie » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:34 am

Baelor wrote:
Elsie wrote:Combat cleaves easier higher up, and sword spec procs can just murder things. However, the biggest advantage is you don't rely on stealth or openers. A combat rogue can just move from mob to mob at early levels without much concern at lower levels where stealth speed reduction sucks (though you can still go for saps and cheap shot when you need to).

Also Crusader enchant with sword spec and Thrash Blade is beastly.

So what would you do - combat sword with Thrash Blade and the BoA PvP dagger and just hack stuff up?

Pretty much (except with the BoA Emblem dagger), more attacks = faster dead stuff. Survivability is great, too. You still have all the essential rogue stuff to survive - sap, blind, kidney shot, gouge, etc. You just don't always have to use them. I'd probably go mutilate spec once I could keep a good uptime on Slice and Dice. That doesn't really happen till wotlk.

Venerable Dal'Rend's Sacred Charge is pretty, too. Huge SS crits I'd imagine.
Elsie

Postby Dakiros » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:56 am

When I leveled my rogue I found I was too squishy with a mut spec, the extra parry and dodge you can get in the combat tree (I think both are still in there) are really useful in decreasing your down time since you don't have to eat/bandage after every fight. I wouldn't even bother with an offhand dagger, I'd just go Thrash/Del'Rend especially once you pick up hack and slash.

Aside from the aforementioned squishiness keeping up HFB is kinda annoying, you're probably gonna kill everything in one cycle anyway so unless you can always start from stealth with a garrote its a waste of time to dot things with rupture to keep/get it going. Combine that with the better aoe capabilities of combat with blade flurry and killing spree, that makes combat an easier leveling spec imo.

Once you hit 80 combat is probably going to do more dps in heroics than mut because mut has a long ramp up and combat has the better aoe. Overall though they are really close in dps so at that point just pick which you like better, personally I find mut to be more fun.
Dakiros

Previous

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes