Remove Advertisements

[DK-Tank] Frost tanking weapon choice

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[DK-Tank] Frost tanking weapon choice

Postby Pizbit » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:10 am

Alright so there I was all geared up on my unholy DPS DK in all emblem gear, and a Quel'Delar, Might of the Faithful... and then my friend goes "Well, you've tanked [heroics] on pally, warrior and druid, when are you going to tank on your DK?"

So like the fool I was, I bought dual spec to play around with DK tanking too, had picked up some bits and pieces of tank gear along the way 'just in case' so I have a good start.

My DK will most certainly only ever really tank heroics, mebbe VoA if I get really bored, but that's about it more or less.

Should I be sticking with the above 2H Quel'Delar, or should I look at re-speccing for DW talents and finding myself 2 good 1H weapons to tank with, given my limited access to high ilevel weapons?

My DK gnomie: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-tale ... it&group=2
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Re: [DK-Tank] Frost tanking weapon choice

Postby Levantine » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:57 am

Welllllll, you CAN 2h Frost tank, but it's kinda average. Bad threat is bad, although most of my damage in Heroics comes from Howling Blast, Death and Decay and Blood Boil which are all unaffected by weapons, so it might work.

If you wanted to tank with the Quel'Delar, I'd spec something like this. Glyph of Death and Decay is lulz for heroic threat, and if I ever do a Theck and give myself two tanking specs it will most definitely be in my heroics one.
Levantine

Postby semp » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:23 pm

I run a 2h frost tanking spec for my daily heroics. Threat is decent enough even single target 5-6k average is plently for your average pug. howling blast glyphed is quite nice. OPen with HB, PS, pest or in large packs, DND, HB, PS, TAP, Pest and everything will be stuck like glue.
semp

Postby Pizbit » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:46 pm

Went frost because that is what my friend has been doing with his nub DK and general consensus seems to be it's good for heroics due to HB aoe.

You says DnD iz lulzy for heroics but the spec doesn't have imp DnD, no room for it despite it's goodness? Or I totally mis-read you and you think dnd blows for heroics?:)

I assume the extra long diseases are to make plague strike and it's blood plague viable to keep up.
On single target with my playing around, do you just expend blood runes on blood strike + 1 of the death runes, and use 1 death rune for plague strike? Or just defer an obliterate to get PS earlier?

I did have 2x 1H weapons but they weren't all that great and the 2H just smoked them in terms of AP so vendored them.

I haven't actually tanked anything L80 yet, not even a reg 80 instance as DK tanking is taking a little getting used to vs the other 3 classes which are pretty much run in, faceroll, pull moar.
Not saying DK tanking seems hard, just different ;)

/ed/ I'd tanked a reg UK last night to get used to the abilities, and today I went to queue h-pos for the neck I needed, and ewps, forgot it wasn't set to dps role, so I tanked it, woot. Threat didn't seem to be an issue at all - excluding the shaman that was doing 6.5k but they rode me hard. Mostly due to fuxing the rotation.
Pizbit

Postby Levantine » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:49 pm

Oh mannnnnn I need to finish my guide, people are so ehhh at wtf to do with DK threat gen it seems. Also I fucked up that spec I linked. D: It should be this.

There's two ideas with single target, but only one of them is viable with a 2h'er. Your opening rotation should be: PS->IT->BS->BS->OB->OB->OB->OB

Float your RP (this means don't let it cap, but don't let it go below 20. i.e. Frost Strike if you have 60+ RP)

Death and Decay is godly with the glyph, glyphed Howling Blast and Morbidity. It'll be up for every pull, and does a shitton of threat with FF ticking on everything. Don't fuckin bother with Blood Plague with AoE threat in heroics, not even close to being worth the hassle.
Levantine

Postby Pizbit » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:44 pm

Hehe aye.

Yeah first few days of a new spec you learn a lot and what 'looks ok' but is actually stupid etc. Still adjusting.

And yeah wasn't looking at blood plague for aoe as I saw it was pointless, have to use PS, then pestilence, and well, waste of runes.
Pizbit

Postby Levantine » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:31 pm

In heroics, all that really matters is your burst AoE threat, which is largely why Howling Blast is so goddam powerful. I'm sure Blood Plague is an increase in the long run, but stuff in heroics dies in all of 10 seconds anyway.
Levantine

Postby Hokahey » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:14 am

In contrast to Levantine, I tend to use Obliterate before my Blood Strikes on single target rotations, purely to get the Sigil up and kicking as early as possible, and I've also noticed that if someone is going to pull off of me in a heroic, it will happen within 3-5 seconds of the pull.

The extra threat up front comes at the cost of waiting 1.5 seconds longer for 5% damage reduction from Blade Barrier, so its a personal preference kinda thing.
Hokahey

Postby Levantine » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:43 pm

I tend to get Misdirects and shit in raids where it matters and I don't much care if some dumbass Warlock dies in places where it doesn't. I think that makes me a bad person, but I'm in the habit of BLADE BARRIER > ALLLLLLLL.
Levantine

Postby Pizbit » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:55 pm

Slightly irrelevant at the moment since I don't have two weapons to use, however.
What is the general feeling when dps/tanking between 2H and 2x1H is it "ok I'm seeing more procs" or is it "ZOMGAH SO MANY PROCS DIS IZ AWESUM"? Or somewhere inbteween?
Pizbit

Postby Levantine » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:09 pm

It's noticeable. You should be dual wielding if you're Frost unless your 2h is like, tiers and tiers above your 1handers.
Levantine

Postby Vorianloken » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:52 am

Pizbit wrote:Should I be sticking with the above 2H Quel'Delar, or should I look at re-speccing for DW talents and finding myself 2 good 1H weapons to tank with, given my limited access to high ilevel weapons?

My DK gnomie: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-tale ... it&group=2

There are three 1H weapons available from the ICC heroics - Black Icicle http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50303, Nighttime http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50191 and Liar's Tongue http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50302. Of these, LT is a fast weapon so meh, useless. Of the other two, very little difference between the two, just depends whether or not you need the hit. I just use dual Nighttime for my tank set.

You could also go to ToC10 and get The Grinder http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47816 or Lion's Maw http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47808.

And slightly off-topic but if you do get a Liar's Tongue, then you can try an unholy dual-wield dps build where offhand speed is irrelvant and you can use a fast weapon in the OH.

Pizbit wrote:Slightly irrelevant at the moment since I don't have two weapons to use, however.
What is the general feeling when dps/tanking between 2H and 2x1H is it "ok I'm seeing more procs" or is it "ZOMGAH SO MANY PROCS DIS IZ AWESUM"? Or somewhere inbteween?

It's a very noticeable difference. And if you are dw frost dps then there is no way you are going to be able to keep up with all the procs haha.
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby Levantine » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:22 am

Vorianloken wrote:And slightly off-topic but if you do get a Liar's Tongue, then you can try an unholy dual-wield dps build where offhand speed is irrelvant and you can use a fast weapon in the OH.

Horrible idea and if I see any of you doing it I'll laugh at you.
Levantine

Postby Vorianloken » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 am

Levantine wrote:
Vorianloken wrote:And slightly off-topic but if you do get a Liar's Tongue, then you can try an unholy dual-wield dps build where offhand speed is irrelvant and you can use a fast weapon in the OH.

Horrible idea and if I see any of you doing it I'll laugh at you.

I've actually tried it :)

But the circumstances were more along the lines of me only having dual beer mugs from brewfest and never having seen a slow weapon from toc and then I lucked out in toc25 and got the fast 1H weapon so I used that for a good while until I finally got around to having dual nighttime's but now I am blood 2H, although with the next patch i am going back to my true love which is frost dw :)
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby ulushnar » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:17 am

Unholy DW is dead afaik, Scourge Strike killed it.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes