Leveling an alt Shaman...Enhance or Elemental ?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: Leveling an alt Shaman...Enhance or Elemental ?

Postby Hearthvaderr » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:37 am

KysenMurrin wrote:
8bit wrote:I would say trolls *might* be better for casters, but I can't think of a point where people typically stay under 30% health for the full benefit of the racial.

Pretty sure they fixed that to not depend on health any more.

This is true. My shammy is a troll. It is a cheap and easy 20% haste for 10 seconds. I anticipate a troll rogue in my future.

-Slice and Dice (40%)
-Berserking (20%)
-Bloodlust (30%)
-Blade Flurry (20%)
-Haste Potion (400 haste)
-Hack and Slash Talent.

Troll Blender ftw
Hearthvaderr

Postby vegardhv » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:52 am

isiz wrote:Personally I liked enh until 75 because of low downtime and then ele @75 because LvB is hax. Most classes take
a little while to become "fun" to level, but imo shaman took the longest. Now if only I could find priest DPS to be any fun >.> I just kinda gave up @50 and made it my AH mule.

After getting feral spirit talent in enhance it went very smoothly for me to level 80. I had elemental as dual spec from 40, tried it from time to time - whenever I did I felt my dps was low and I had to drink all the time. But if leveling an enhancement shaman isn't "fun" I'd like to hear what classes are - I only ever leveled a hunter and a paladin - though with my paladin I leveled 1-80 with a mage in group - so it was something different.
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby hoho » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:16 am

isiz wrote:Now if only I could find priest DPS to be any fun >.> I just kinda gave up @50 and made it my AH mule.
Priest only gets interesting at 50 when you get VT, though for soloing it doesn't matter much anyway as stuff generally tends to die in dot(s). Real fun begins when stuff survives for more than half a minute.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Hokahey » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:42 am

vegardhv wrote:
isiz wrote:Personally I liked enh until 75 because of low downtime and then ele @75 because LvB is hax. Most classes take
a little while to become "fun" to level, but imo shaman took the longest. Now if only I could find priest DPS to be any fun >.> I just kinda gave up @50 and made it my AH mule.

After getting feral spirit talent in enhance it went very smoothly for me to level 80. I had elemental as dual spec from 40, tried it from time to time - whenever I did I felt my dps was low and I had to drink all the time. But if leveling an enhancement shaman isn't "fun" I'd like to hear what classes are - I only ever leveled a hunter and a paladin - though with my paladin I leveled 1-80 with a mage in group - so it was something different.

Well, they didn't say Enhancement wasn't fun, just that it took longer to become fun. I can agree with that. Being restricted to either a 2h or 1h and shield until roughly lvl 40 with no special weapon attacks...it was very dull until getting DW and Stormstrike as I recall. Lvl 30 to 40 were the worst. Now, after lvl 41 on through to the end, it was a blast.

Well, except for that lull in fun from lvl 51ish to lvl 58, where the quest chains become obscenely long, sending you all over the map, and it was near impossible to find instance groups. I used to call that "the big suck", but it was universally sucky to every class I've played. I imagine its better now with the randoms.
Hokahey

Postby Arees » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:53 am

I have a level 28 shaman that I havent played since about patch 2.2 when I went alt crazy (I made a hunter, priest, druid, shaman, and my pally tank). I've recently become kind of bored in between raid nights. I log on every day to do a random heroic and that only takes about 20 minutes. Then I get on my mage to do the same thing and farm herbs for flasks for 15-20 minutes until the dungeon pops. So I spend about an hour doing that, but then I get bored.

So.... I decided I want to level one of the alts that I abandoned (they are all around level 30ish because I stuck with my pally). I'm gonna go with my shaman because I want a toon that can DW... I've never had a toon that could. When I leveled my mage up over the summer, I put the spell power (cant remember how much it was... 29 maybe?) enchant from MC on his heirloom staff. I'm going to get my shaman 2 Venerable Mass of McGowan and I was wondering if there is a melee enchant of the same level that can go on these.

I was going to post on the shaman forums, but I can't log into my account for some reason.
Arees

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:55 am

+15 agi is your best bet for the MoMG
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:27 pm

What Grehn said.
Levantine

Postby Shoju » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:18 am

I have a 21 alt shaman that I have specc'd resto and am leveling through the RDF. It has been working swimmingly. I don't forsee myself doing anything with him outside of a dungeon, and I doubt he will ever have a dps spec again.
Shoju

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:00 pm

How do you like leveling Resto? I've been running all dungeons dual-queued DPS and Heals and just healing as Elemental. It works pretty well, and you get really good mana regen.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:02 pm

I'm sure it will get harder, but right now, I'm having an absolute blast. More fun than healing on a priest, lots of things to do, heals, totems, Fire Nova, it's great.
Shoju

Postby Kelaan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:04 pm

Hokahey wrote:Well, except for that lull in fun from lvl 51ish to lvl 58, where the quest chains become obscenely long, sending you all over the map, and it was near impossible to find instance groups.

As you said, LFG tool may help there. If you're LFGing, you can likely use much of the same caster gear for ele as resto roles, which means that you can get faster queues, and still gear both (and carry only 1-1.5 gear sets in your bags instead of 2 for enh/resto).
Kelaan

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:20 pm

You can wear the exact same gear between Ele and Resto. There really isn't any difference until 80, when hit rating becomes important, and even then, they both value haste and crit. In fact, I think it's common for Resto to use 2p Ele t9 because they're well itemized for Resto.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby katraya » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:50 am

I recently switched my shaman from elemental to enhance and it has been interesting. I initially leveled her enhance back in the dark days before dual wield, when you had to talent into using a 2H, and when I really had no clue how to play. :lol: Other than that I have only played her resto and elemental from MC until recently, with 2 year stint in the middle where she sat and gathered dust.

Elemental was painfully boring with the LB spam while questing but I may need to try it again now that I hit 75 and learned Lava Burst(?). Enhance has a few more buttons to push, but I think I'm doing something wrong because I seem to be low on mana when questing. I've been trying to make a macro so that I use my regen ability (name escapes me) whenever it is up, but I'm terrible at macros. (I know, I need to just search and I'm sure I'll find one.)

I'm still kind of trying to decide which I plan on doing at 80, though I imagine I'll mainly be healing in instances/raids. The Ele Theorycraft thread seems to imply that their dps isn't great, is enhance doing better? I would prefer the overlapping gear sets of ele/resto but so far enhance seems more fun.
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby uke » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:47 pm

I just once again started on my shammy who had been sitting idle at lvl 24 for a long time. I leveled to 1-24 as enhance, which was probably why it went dormant, as it is indeed painfully boring at that level.

Anyway, had a tone of WG shards and old conquest emblems sitting around, so I was able to buy the WG shoulders and emblem BOA chest and spellpower mace, and converted my shammy to elemental. Leveling is STILL just as boring with LB spam with shocks when they're up, however, it's extremely easy to find a group in random LFG's when qeued as either a dps or a healer. Elemental shamans can heal instances just fine until you start dealing with heroics, and it helps to break up the routine. Fortunately I've done it with tanks who are also loaded with BOA gear, and healing totem is usually enough to heal them with an occasional lesser healing wave while I /dance :P.
Pally's been relegated to AH duties.

RAWR'ing it up as a bear now, with a side of boomkin.
uke

Postby vertinog » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:56 am

My Enhancement Shaman is 3 bars from 40 and I am debating what to get first, Dual-wield or Stormstrike. What does everyone here recommend?
vertinog

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes