[Warrior Fury PvE DPS] - Advice Needed

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Warrior Fury PvE DPS] - Advice Needed

Postby Doogiehowser » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:16 pm

I need some help for my brother. He's coming back to WoW after a little break and is struggling with Fury a bit. I'm locked out of elitistjerks.com and tankspot.com and most any other WoW website while at work save for this one so any help would be greatly appreciated.

What I'm looking for is a typical Fury PvE dps spec, the glyphs that a typical heroic/raid warrior would pick up, and what your attack priority is? (IE Do you wait for procs? Is it a FCFS attack system like Ret Pallies?)

I understand getting to 8% hit and most likely the expertise capped, but after that, I'm lost. I'm assuming you gem for strength and that armor pen would be important since they have physical attacks.

I literally know nothing about warrior dps so feel free to talk to me like a 2 year old. All I know is that Titan's Grip looks pretty cool when you're walking around with two giant weapons ready to crush some faces.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Doogiehowser

Re: [Warrior Fury PvE DPS] - Advice Needed

Postby Jedah » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:37 pm

I know you said you're at work but I can't really help you with spec without just linking you my armory. Check out my warrior "Healplz" on US-Kul Tiras. I'm pretty sure he's logged out fury... I haven't touched him in a while, so his gear is a little outdated.

My spec assumes you always have someone providing improved BoM and Imp commanding shout (which I did) so that allowed me some wiggle room to grab improved cleave and 2/2 imp berserker rage, which I regularly use as a free 20 rage cooldown.

Fury DPS is not exactly FCFS, it's more of a prioritization system since bloodsurge is not on a fixed cooldown and your rage pool varies.

Basically, you're going to want to do:

BT > WW > Bloodsurge Procs > (HS/Cleave)

but never use HS/Cleave if it means you won't have enough rage to use one of your GCD abilities once it's available. This will take a little practice to get the hang of.

Hit cap and expertise cap are paramount, then get all the str/arp/crit you can. I would stick with gemming STR. Put your highest dps weapon in your main hand regardless of speed. If they're both the same DPS, use the slower one in the main hand.
Jedah

Postby Doogiehowser » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:19 pm

Awesome, thanks for the information.

As for the priority, what is BT? I assume WW is whirlwind. Bloodsurge procs mean what? Do you do anything with them or is there a cast for "Bloodsurge". Sorry, but warrior-speak is like Japanese to me. I just don't even know where to start.

I'm assuming you Heroic Strike one bosses and Cleave on trash?
Doogiehowser

Postby Jedah » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:27 pm

BT = Bloodthirst
WW = Whirlwind
Bloodsurge Proc = instant cast slam that procs from a fury talent called "Bloodsurge"

It's basically a 20% chance when you do BT, WW, or HS to get a bloodsurge proc.

You will generally use HS on bosses, unless there are 2/3 targets you want to hit at the same time. Also, glyphed/spec'd cleave on trash is extremely overpowered, and well worth ditching the execute glyph, imo.
Jedah

Postby Doogiehowser » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:38 pm

Sweet, thanks for that. Is there a rage issue I should tell him about? I see anger management in the Arms tree but I've seen some warriors skip it. Is that due to gearing? Do warriors generate rage with criticals or dealing damage?

I think at this point I'm good to get him on the right track. Now I'll just tell him to do his own damn research.
Doogiehowser

Postby Jedah » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:43 pm

Anger management isn't worth it for a warrior for the following reasons:

Arms - Rage is not an issue, wasted point
Fury - the points are better spent in Improved Berserker Rage, you get more Rage Per Second (RPS) from it per point, not to mention it's on demand and therefore you can get it when you really need it.
Prot - you really can't afford the point.

Rage is definitely an issue with Fury. The key to maximizing your DPS is to always have enough rage to use BT/WW/Bloodsurge but never cap out at 100 rage. This is difficult to do when you're first getting used to playing a warrior, because you essentially have two separate global cooldowns you have to watch - your weapon swing and your 1.5s GCD.
Jedah

Postby Doogiehowser » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:47 pm

Yeah, my head asploded when you said you have to watch your swing timer.

He's on his own at this point. Thanks for your help Jedah.
Doogiehowser

Postby Jedah » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:00 pm

You're welcome.

One more thing about the swing timer - it can be a pain at first, watching GCDs as well as weapon swing, but I promise you it's not as hard as you're making it out to be. It does take some practice, however. I remember struggling with it in the beginning, so just tell your friend not to give up hope if he isn't good at it at first. =)
Jedah

Postby fafhrd » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:03 pm

You generate rage from autoattacks hitting a target (and iirc some but much less rage from autoattacks being dodged), from damage you take, and any abilities/talents/effects that grant you rage. The majority of your rage is usually from your autoattacks though, and the more damage they do the more rage to you get. It's been normalized a fair bit, but it's still the case that the better your gear the more rage you have to spend. If your brother is still undergeared (or even well geared but in poorly chosen/enchanted/gemmed gear) he will value rage from talents that grant rage a lot more than well geared raiding warriors.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LI0s0fhZhxh0E0uMeRVzAo is a decent talent build to start out (for raid DPS, not levelling). Most of the talents taken there are must-haves, but there are several floating points where different warriors choose different things:

- Commanding Presence, Improved Demo, Booming Voice and Unbridled wrath: you choose between these depending on what utility you value the most. Unbridled wrath is generally very poor rage/talent since it gives you at best 1 rage on an attack that didn't miss/dodge/parry. If you had a white hit that didn't miss/dodge/parry you got 40-60 rage anyway so 1 more doesn't really matter. Also in decent gear 90% of your mainhand white swings will be replaced with heroic strikes or cleaves anyway. Recent testing shows it's also proccing nowadays off heroic strike and cleave hits though, so it's a decent filler that gives you more rage over the course of a fight.

- Imp Execute: some take it, some don't. Execute phase DPS isn't currently modelled too well and what to do in execute phase is determined by what the particular warrior understands of how his various choices compare to each other based on whether he talented and glyphed execute or not ("spam execute" is almost never the answer though).

- Improved Berserker Rage: some time it, some don't. It's easy access to a lot of rage on demand, and you can use it to pool up 100 rage while out of combat any time you want while waiting for a boss to be pulled, but it costs a GCD. It's technically more ragePerSecond/talent than Anger Management though, and easier to get to.

- Anger Management: as mentioned, worse ragePerSecond/talent than other talents you can take, still not bad. Some take it, many don't since taking it means dropping talents deep in the fury tree.

- All the talents taken in the first 2 tiers of arms EXCEPT Improved Heroic strike. You have to take imp hs, spend the other 7 points however you want in order to get down to t3, where have to take impale and deep wounds.

Glyphwise you want Whirlwind, and usually Heroic Strike and Cleave. HS and Cleave are mutually exclusive in use though, so if you know you'll be using one much more than the other on a particular fight, you can drop the glyph for the other in favour of execution. None of the other warrior glyphs are of any real interest to fury. The minors you get whatever you like, battle+charge+bloodrage are popular,as is enduring victory.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Doogiehowser » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:16 pm

Very cool. This is all great. This makes me want to go level a warrior now. Ha!

Incoming dumb question: Which stance do you take? The battle stance of 10% ArP looks nice but the idiot in me says "Duh, take the 3% crit chance!"

Is there a point where if your ArP>x%, use battle stance, else use berserker stance?

Thanks Jedah and thanks fafhrd.
Doogiehowser

Postby fafhrd » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:22 pm

You don't have a choice really, since your can't whirlwind in battle stance, and you can't overpower in berserker stance. So fury -> berserker, arms->battle. Also fury has talents for imp zerker which only apply while in zerker.

There is some highend play in favour of switching to battle at certain points in your cycle to rend the boss, and while it's a DPS gain, it's a small gain and requires such careful attention to timing that for 99% of players it won't be a DPS gain, so just stick to berserker.

(ok, when you have a huge number of adds around you and lots of incoming rage, you can switch to battlestance to thunderclap too, since it has no aoe damage cap).
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Doogiehowser » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:54 pm

See, I told you it was a dumb question. Thanks for the clarification.
Doogiehowser

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes