[Shaman - Enhance] Advice Please

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Shaman - Enhance] Advice Please

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:56 am

My 5th level 80 is going to be my shaman. I've probably been leveling up so many alts because I've been trying to find something that's almost as equally fun as my paladin, and I think I may have found it with the shaman. (DK didn't cut it, Mage didn't cut it, Priest is okay but the only thing she does is heal.)

I get the general gist of what kind of gear I want, but I'm curious about the proper rotation as well as gemming advice. I've seen enhance shamans gemmed anywhere from full AP gems to full Haste gems. (Although I thought Haste was more for the resto side of it.)

Mine is only level 66 at the moment, so I don't know if I have any big spells coming up that I'll need to eventually work into the rotation, but currently I've been doing (on bosses mind you):

Flame Shock -> Stormstrike -> Lava Lash -> Lightning bolt (or Chain Lightning) on Maelstrom x 5 proc -> Earth Shock.

Should I bother with Flame Shock? If I do, do I need to ensure that's kept ticking on my target at all times? Since a lot of spells come off cooldown at the same time, what's the priority rotation for them?

Thanks for the help!
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Re: [Shaman - Enhance] Advice Please

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:55 am

Enhance Shamans are like Ret Paladins, in that they don't have a rotation so much as a priority system. As I understand it, it goes as follows:

Maelstrom Weapon Lightning Bolt > Storm Strike > Earth Shock > Lava Lash > Magma Totem > Refresh Lightning Shield

If one of the higher spells is available, you use it and delay the ones further down the line. I tend to open up with Earth Shock as I run in, then Stormstrike, Lava Lash, Magma Totem (if I'm not using a different one) and Earth Shock when it comes back up, as the cooldowns line up well for those first few seconds.

As far as gemming and gearing, I don't know myself. I'm heading through the mid-70s atm, so I haven't looked much into it, but I gather the recommended route is to get Rawr and EnhSim and let those tell you what works best, as the weights can vary significantly based on your gear.

At level 66 you should have all the basic spells you will use - the spells from then to 80 are Heroism, Lava Burst (only used by Ele), and Hex. In talents all you really have to look forward to as Enh is increasing your crit chance and damage bonus in the Ele tree.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby 8bit » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:58 pm

I'm just getting started gearing mine since I hit 80 last week, also coincidentally my 5th 80. From what I've been told, you don't need to gem haste until after you have ~4000 attack power. Until then, gear expertise to cap, hit to spell cap (assuming you went blueberry with yours, 420), and gem attack power and attack power/crit if you want to match yellow gem slots. As for the meta, the Chaotic Skyflare is technically better since enhancement relies on spells as well as physical damage, but a lot of people go for the Relentless Earthsiege because it's easier to gem around.

KysenMurrin is correct with that priority queue. Earth Shock ends up being higher dps than Flame Shock. Flame Shock and Lava Burst are left to elemental.
8bit

Postby praetorae » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:37 am

Convinent timing with this thread, my shaman alt hit 80 last week.

So far the biggest help I've found is a little addon called 'Shock and Awe'. Along with various CD bars and stats that it can do, its best fuction is that you can program in a priority queue for your skills and then it will show an icon of which skill you should be using next based upon what is on CD etc.etc.

Its really handy not to have to think about the priority system when there are quite a few other things to learn.

I currenty have the priority:

Ghost Wolves > Maelstrom Weapon 5 stack > flame shock > earth shock if stormstrike debuff is active > storm strike > earth shock if no SS debuff > Magma totem > Lava Lash

The reason I have flame shock in the rotation is because apparently if you glpyh for it, it works out as better DPS. I currently use the Ghost wolves, Flame shock and Stormstrike major glyphs.

Oh, another nice trick I picked up is a neat macro for your shocks:

/castsequence reset=target/combat Flame Shock, Earth Shock, Earth Shock

Using this macro you only need to click the 1 button when your priority queue tells you to 'shock' and it does the right one automatically but also if you switch target for some reason you always lead off with a flame shock.

With gemming, as far as I can tell you want to reach 340 (ish) hit rating and 140 (ish) expertise rating as soon as possible. Once you hit these you can start gemming for AP/Crit/Haste (tbh, not so sure about the haste myself).

hope this helps,

Praetorae
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
praetorae
Maintankadonor

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:12 am

For the love of all that is natural, ShockAndAwe is the most important mod for Enhance. If you haven't already, hit the EJ Shaman section and start reading. It's pretty much the only source of intelligent information on Enh gearing and playing. I'll tell you right now though, you won't find any solid answers for gems. The only way to properly maximize your own character is through running EnhSim and getting stat weights. For some people, straight AP is the king stat, and for others, haste, or crit. I think there's some theory showing a heavy haste build generating high dps, but I really haven't been looking recently.

Also, Flame Shock glyphed deals more damage than Earth Shock, but ONLY if you get the all the ticks. If you clip it early, or the mob dies before the 12 seconds are up, you'll be losing dps.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Hokahey » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:32 pm

Actually, pending what level of content you plan on running, and how structured a raid group you plan on running with (or if you'll be raiding at all), you'll find yourself gemming pretty exclusively for Hit and Expertise. A lot of ilvl 200 mail throws Hit to the wayside in favor of crit, and almost no mail outside of tier pieces features *any* Expertise, so be prepared to take a leather piece or 2 when they become available.

Stat-wise, you want: Expertise (to soft cap)>Hit (to spell cap)>Attack Power>Haste>Crit>Armor Pen. Once you reach Expertise and Hit caps, there really isn't a huge reason to gem anything but AP unless you *really* want a socket bonus that you need a yellow gem for, in which case I recommend AP/Haste. Never gem for Int., and never gem for Agi. Assuming you're a Draenei, will be raiding, and can't count on a Balance Druid/Shadow Priest to be with you, your Hit Cap is 420. Not a Draenei, and it is 446.

Also, for the love of all that is decent and holy in the world, take slow weapons. 2.5 speed or slower, or I will pray for your just smiting from this Earth. There are decent options through crafting, H CoS, and the Argent Tourney seals, you may get lucky and find someone still selling the Brewfest weapon, and there is a great weapon that drops in H ToCh. If you are wearing a dagger, regardless of ilevel, you're dead wrong.

Rotation-wise, last I checked, Flame Shock wasn't worth it (and the Flame Shock glyph wasn't either), but it has been a while since I looked. Either way, the previous prioritizations are on spot. Typically, I do end up having a rotation of sorts, but there is a lot of RNG involved in when Maelstrom Weapon procs up to 5. Key things are to make sure you have Storm Strike debuff up, you aren't sitting on 5 maelstrom weapon stacks, your Shocks are on cooldown, Lava Lash is on cooldown, and you have a Magama Totem down. If possible, use Wolves with Heroism/Bloodlust, otherwise keep them on cooldown, too.
Hokahey

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes