[Professions] What to replace mining with?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Professions] What to replace mining with?

Postby cerwillis » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:24 pm

I find myself with 5x80s, 3 of which are miners (Leveled my DK as miner JC on another server then transferred). So I'm thinking I'd like to drop mining on my rogue for a new prof, most likely Inscription. I guess I'm looking for suggestions as to whether or not that is a good idea, or if something else makes more sense. My pally and DK are both tanks, so I'm not prepared to put the gold into raising BS, as the stam from mining is (mostly) the same bonus. Anyhow, heres what I've got:

Prot/ret Paladin - Mining/Engineer
Resto Shaman - Enchanting/Herbalism
Survival Hunter - LW/Skinning
Mutilate Rogue - Mining/JC
Frost DK Tank - Mining/JC

Unless I'm missing something, leveling inscription or alchemy on the rogue is probably my best bet, b/c I have an herbalist. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Re: [Professions] What to replace mining with?

Postby amh » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:55 pm

Inscription is quick and easy, especially if you've got epic flying and a friend who's a scribe. Herb your heart out in Northrend for a day, send everything to someone who's got inscription 350+, mill it and downrank inks. Very cheap, very quick.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby phaqueue » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:12 am

honestly - I would replace mining on your pally with BS, enchanting or even alchemy (great when you have a JC - easy money and a couple of nice benefits)If you're looking to keep the 50 stam from mining to min/max stay with that...

for your rogue... I would say inscription would be the best choice - but definitely check the market before expecting to make a ton of gold from it - it seems to be pretty saturated right now due to a lot of people trying to make gold from it...

the plus side of this is that you might be able to get ink of the sea cheap as people could be flooding the market... meaning that you can buy the ink of the sea and change them into lower level herbs to level with... might be cheaper than herbs, especially at some points in the leveling (the high-end vanilla herbs for example)

personally - I am very against gathering professions... so take my advice how you'd like... currently my professions consist of:

Prot/Holy Pally: JC/Alchemy
DK: Tailoring/Engineering
Hunter: Inscription/Engineering
Shaman: Enchanting/JC

not all of them are maxed... but working on that - and for a reference point -with not a single gathering profession - I've made upwards of 5-10k gold per week from buying/crafting/selling - keep the gathering if you enjoy it or need the benefits... otherwise - look into other niches and use your professions for that...

if you want some ideas - feel free to hit me up in PM - I can give you some for just about any profession to make at least a little gold from it - usually at least as much as you can from gathering... with much less work
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby vertinog » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:06 am

I decided to drop mining and pick up alch. I am a JC so it will be nice to make my own meta/epic gems to sell/use. Finding it a bit tough with pre-bc herbs (the herbs for the guide I was following were not on the ah last night). Made it to 349 this morning with only about 600g invested. That last point to 350 is being a pita.
vertinog

Postby cerwillis » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:04 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I am pretty set on keeping mining on my 2 tanks, as I dread the idea of leveling BS, and mining is doing the trick for a stam bonus. Enchanting, my shaman has, and my guild has ~11 maxxed alchemists, so I don't want for transmutes or pots.

I ended up putting inscription on the rogue and using Amh's idea to get my inks. I spent the weekend farming old zones as well as northrend for herbs, and after sending ~20 stacks of NR herbs to a friend of mine, I can happily say that I've reached 380 and can mill my own inks now.

Phaqueue, I hear you on making money with Inscription. Glyphs seems incredibly cheap to make, so I doubt I'll sell them for any real profit. What im hoping for is a break on gold making my own Darkmoon Cards, so that I can make nobles decks for one or more of my toons, and the shoulder enchant isnt bad.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes