[Leveling] Two heirloom items already purchased

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [Leveling] Two heirloom items already purchased

Postby Spectrum » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:47 pm

First off, just make sure you get the staff and put the +30 SP enchant on it. It's obscene early on, and will probably last you until you get an epic you're willing to toss a high-end enchant on.

Robes and shoulders are fortunately pretty easy to get.

I bought my staff for my priest alt with SKS, as they're all over the place. The stats aren't that much different. It was interesting to see that 4 hit rating gave something like 14% hit at level 11.

As for the races and classes. I still feel like humans are OP right now. Diplomacy and a free trinket are awesome. Class spec is really personal preference. Mages will drink more, but have slightly more nuking power and more escapes. Warlocks will be able to regenerate their health and mana some, so they can just slow-down their killing to avoid running out of mana. Mages basically have two play styles while leveing: Nuking and AEing. While warlocks have a bunch: nuking, drain tanking, DoT farming, fear kiting, pet-tanking.

If you have the time, get them both to about 30, then choose. Not like you can't share BoA items.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:03 am

Get the mace instead of the staff.

Why?

1.) The mace and staff will have the same amount of spellpower on them from 1-80
2.) neither of them will get more than 30spellpower on them due to ilvl restrictions
3.) You can continuously upgrade offhands pretty easily through the game thanks to inscription. and you only upgrade it once every 10 levels.

Mace + inscription Off hand > Staff.
Shoju

Postby Dakiros » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:47 am

Mages and warlocks can't use maces.
Dakiros

Postby Shoju » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:07 am

Dakiros wrote:Mages and warlocks can't use maces.

Answer: Don't level a warlock or mage :)

Eh, I forgot about that. I was thinking about it from the perspective of my priest. Wish they would make a caster dagger as well.
Shoju

Postby guillex » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:30 am

Shoju wrote:
Dakiros wrote:Mages and warlocks can't use maces.

Answer: Don't level a warlock or mage :)

Eh, I forgot about that. I was thinking about it from the perspective of my priest. Wish they would make a caster dagger as well.

I'm leveling a warlock. It was a choice between 'lock and mage. I'd started a priest to go shadow, but honestly, I got tired of Smite spam from levels 1-10.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby hoho » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:07 am

guillex wrote:I'd started a priest to go shadow, but honestly, I got tired of Smite spam from levels 1-10.
What's the difference between smitespam and frostbolt/shadowbolt spam? ;)

Though yea, priest is kind of boring to level until you can spec into shadowform. After that things speed up significantly.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Shoju » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:24 am

hoho wrote:
guillex wrote:I'd started a priest to go shadow, but honestly, I got tired of Smite spam from levels 1-10.

Though yea, priest is kind of boring to level until you can spec into shadowform. After that things speed up significantly.

Leveling as shadow is just downright insane. I love it. I'm sure it wouldn't be nearly as insane if I didn't have all the heirloom stuff and a level 70 epic helm (at 50).
Shoju

Postby guillex » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:40 am

Shoju wrote:
hoho wrote:

Leveling as shadow is just downright insane. I love it. I'm sure it wouldn't be nearly as insane if I didn't have all the heirloom stuff and a level 70 epic helm (at 50).

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll I'm 10 days from getting Crusader, so I don't think I'll have that much of a problem getting the Champion's Seals for any other equipment. I'm not all that into collecting mounts et al., but who knows what the future might bring, right?

I'm pretty sure that I'd like to get a priest going at some point ... But I'd probably only do that if I could RaF my wife or something.

hoho wrote:

Thing is ... You get a pet with a 'lock before you turn level 5. Makes things die a LOT quicker, and means less downtime. I dunno... I'm liking the fact that the macros are simple for grinding, and that the heirloom stuff I won't have to worry about for a very very long time.

As soon as I get the emblems/seals for the staff, it'll be getting the SP enchant on it... And hey, I may just save up the currency to buy full sets of everything, just in case something tickles my fancy one day. The closest second toon to 80 that I have is Lobera, and she's still sitting at 75. I haven't had the want to level her since I got her JC up to over 400... Now I'm just pained by her because of the amount of money that's gone *POOF* and disappeared.

Guillex is really the only toon that I've had since the end of Vanilla... I've never gotten anything else over level 30. And I complain about not having enough cash... If I leveled one DK and one toon from level 1 to 80, I'd have more than enough cash from questing/vendoring/etc.... But I can't seem to do it. I dunno!!
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby hoho » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:05 am

With the heirloom gear lock's pet is pretty much useless. It doesn't do half-decent damage and it can't tank anything for more than 2 hits. Sure, it will mean you won't be the first to get hit usually but if you want to use your pet as tank you'll probably be slowed down due to having to give it a few seconds to build agro. If you reach L50 and get felguard things will get a bit better thanks to intercept stun as you won't have to wait for the "tank" to slowly move to mob any more and can start nuking pretty much immediately.

As for priest, you can self-heal extremely well. Yes, it'll eat your mana but at least you die a lot less.
Leap of Faith:
hoho

Postby guillex » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:35 am

hoho wrote:With the heirloom gear lock's pet is pretty much useless. It doesn't do half-decent damage and it can't tank anything for more than 2 hits. Sure, it will mean you won't be the first to get hit usually but if you want to use your pet as tank you'll probably be slowed down due to having to give it a few seconds to build agro. If you reach L50 and get felguard things will get a bit better thanks to intercept stun as you won't have to wait for the "tank" to slowly move to mob any more and can start nuking pretty much immediately.

As for priest, you can self-heal extremely well. Yes, it'll eat your mana but at least you die a lot less.

I'm not worried about self-healing with a priest... That's what drain-tanking's for, lol
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby hoho » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:39 am

In my experience of leveling two locks draintanking is slow, boring and extremely inefficient.
Leap of Faith:
hoho

Postby Levantine » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:58 pm

More Shadowbolt spam, imo. That's why you have Lifetap anyways. :3
Levantine

Postby guillex » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:50 pm

Levantine wrote:More Shadowbolt spam, imo. That's why you have Lifetap anyways. :3

Actually, I'm more along the lines of:

CoA -> Void goes in -> Corruption -> Wand -> Next mob

I'll really get into it when I get drain life.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Levantine » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:26 pm

I find dots to be a horribly inefficient way to level. :/
Levantine

Postby Epimer » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:41 am

guillex wrote:I'm leveling a warlock. It was a choice between 'lock and mage. I'd started a priest to go shadow, but honestly, I got tired of Smite spam from levels 1-10.

My priest alt dinged 28 last night and I'm only taking a break to let his rested XP catch up. With the heirloom staff (not enchanted, 'cos I'm cheap), shoulders, chest and trinkets, he's been really easy to level so far. Holy Fire, (glyphed) Smite, Smite, Mind Blast if the mob isn't dead yet, loot, Renew if needed, move on. I only very occasionally stop to drink and I expect even that minor inconvenience to go away once I have more than 2 spirit on my gear.

Off-topic a bit, but Tailoring and Enchanting has got to be the simplest possible pair of professions to level ever. I know that's stating the obvious, really, but it's a breath of fresh air after being used to the slog of Engineering on my paladin and giving up on Jewelcrafting on my semi-abandoned warrior alt.
Epimer

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes