[Leveling] Two heirloom items already purchased

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Leveling] Two heirloom items already purchased

Postby guillex » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:41 am

Alright, so only one (the shard shoulders), but I'm looking to start a caster.

I'm looking to begin either a mage or a warlock. I'd already started one of each, but deleted them both at 12 and 23, respectively.

Which should I go with, and what race should I use? This alt will be on Smolderthorn with G, so we're talking Alliance.

With the heirloom stuff slowly becoming available (I'll be dumping 40 EoC to get the chestpiece), I wanted to start an alt from level 1 with decent gear that I didn't have to worry about changing every few levels.

Thoughts? Oh, and for either class, any decent forums that have leveling sections on them?

TIA!
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Re: [Leveling] Two heirloom items already purchased

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:48 am

Gnome Lock, imo.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby hoho » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:08 am

Get priest, we are the most stable DPS spec out there with nearly zero nerfs or buffs over the entire last two patches, except for changes made in 3.0 :-P

Other than that I loved leveling and playing my lock much more than mage. First levels are a bit painful but as soon as you get a pet better than imp things go much better. End-game wise you'll likely have good dps relative to others and three relatively different playstyles (2-3 button spam, 2-3 button spam with pet, 5 dots and cooldowns+filler)

There is a reason why mages can make water, they'll be drinking it after every second kill. At somewhat higher level frost spec aoe-ing of mobs becomes viable though a bit dangerous thing to do. End game I can't really comment but I think it's basically choosing between 2, 3 or 4 button spam with nearly no special cooldowns to track

Race wise I would suggest trolls but since you went the other way then gnome. Everyone likes to kill gnomes :)
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Shoju » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:21 am

I have an 80 mage, love to play him.
I have a 50 Shadow Priest. I love to play her and she is currently decked out in heirloom gear.

shoulders, Chest, Weapon, 2x sp/mana trinkets.

I can guarantee you, no matter what you play with the heirloom gear, it will be unlike any leveling you have ever done. You. will. be. a. GOD.

With my shadowpriest, my dot's are so beefy, I can dot up 1 mob (VT, DP, SW:P), VT-SW:P-MB the second mob, and then tear into a third mob. The first mob will die 1-2 casts in, the second one 4-5 casts in, and then the 3rd mob drops. It is SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK. I can solo elites, it is awesome.

I have made sure that my non-heirloom gear is as OP as the heirloom gear though, and I have the 29sp on the mace.

IMO, once you go heirloom, you will NEVER go back.
Shoju

Postby guillex » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:38 pm

Shoju wrote:IMO, once you go heirloom, you will NEVER go back.

Unfortunately, this is part of the problem. I don't have enough to get the full set. I'd love to start out with the entire set available, but I'd need ...

75 - Discerning Eye of the Beast
75 - Swift Hand of Justice
60 - Tattered Dreadmist Robe
95 - Dignified Headmaster's Charge
-----------------------------------
57-
248 EoH

Which I don't have, nor do I think I have the time to farm ... Which again, sucks! Buuuuuut, I guess two pieces are better than nothing.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby ulushnar » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:02 pm

You could get at least the weapon and the chest with Champion's Seals from the tourney dailies. That is, if you've gotten the Crusader title.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:38 am

guillex wrote:

Unfortunately, this is part of the problem. I don't have enough to get the full set. I'd love to start out with the entire set available, but I'd need ...

57-
248 EoH

Which I don't have, nor do I think I have the time to farm ... Which again, sucks! Buuuuuut, I guess two pieces are better than nothing.

Why in the world would you spend EoH? being a Crusader is where it is at! Champion Seals might as well grow on trees. Getting them is super easy, and you will get (if you care) a ton of achievements in the process. By doing the tournament, you will get:

Exalted with all 5 home cities
Exalted with the Argent Crusade
Exalted with you Northrend Faction
A smidge of Knights of the Ebon Blade Rep.

It is by far the most awesome rep running in the game. THEN, while you are getting the champ seals, you will be actively making gold. I can do all of the AT dailies + the KotEB dailies in ~60 minutes. Once you are a crusader, you can purchase ALL the heirloom items for Champ Seals.
Shoju

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:58 am

I thought the chest was 40 emblems of heroism? That's how I bought I thought...
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:01 am

Ah, as for the OP... I chose a human mage as an alt. She was loads of fun to level up, but I'm finding I don't like her much for end game raiding. I chose FFB spec (no, don't push Arcane on me!). With a warlock... the pet thing is a bit fussy.

I'd chose gnome (male) mage if I had to do it again.

Mana was a big issue in the lower levels. However, it's gets much better the higher you get. I even leveled as fire and found not only could I kill things quite quickly, but I also had enough "get out of jail free" cards to work with that it didn't require me to level as frost.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:20 am

Nikachelle wrote:I thought the chest was 40 emblems of heroism? That's how I bought I thought...

You can buy any heirloom for either Emblems of Heroism or Champion Seals. THey cost more champion seals, but since you can get 10+ a day, it's not that bad.
Shoju

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:24 am

Shoju wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:I thought the chest was 40 emblems of heroism? That's how I bought I thought...

You can buy any heirloom for either Emblems of Heroism or Champion Seals. THey cost more champion seals, but since you can get 10+ a day, it's not that bad.

Aha. I haven't done the Tournament dailies since I got Crusader, but I've always got an abundance of badges.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:33 am

I did them to get all the heirlooms for my priest and haven't gone back to do any since them. I'm sure that when I start to run low on gold, I will go back. I seem to be hovering around 3500g right now.
Shoju

Postby guillex » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:37 am

Shoju wrote:
guillex wrote:

57-
248 EoH

Why in the world would you spend EoH? being a Crusader is where it is at! Champion Seals might as well grow on trees. Getting them is super easy, and you will get (if you care) a ton of achievements in the process. By doing the tournament, you will get:

Exalted with all 5 home cities
Exalted with the Argent Crusade
Exalted with you Northrend Faction
A smidge of Knights of the Ebon Blade Rep.

It is by far the most awesome rep running in the game. THEN, while you are getting the champ seals, you will be actively making gold. I can do all of the AT dailies + the KotEB dailies in ~60 minutes. Once you are a crusader, you can purchase ALL the heirloom items for Champ Seals.

Yeah, I haven't been as faithful to the AT dailies as I could have been. I have 2 more days to finish off Darnassus (I've done Stormwind and the Exodar), then I'm on to Gnomeregan and Ironforge. So, that's what ... 12 more days until I'm a Crusader? And I don't have to worry about KotEB ... I'm already at 999/1000 with 'em.

I guess I could hold off leveling any more (Matum on Smolderthorn US)... I was able to equip the shoulders/chest last night before heading to bed. I'll be trying to catch up as much as I can. And being able to solo Chillmaw now helps. No more "Anyone doing Threat/Citadel?" in /1.

Errgh!

Shoju wrote:I did them to get all the heirlooms for my priest and haven't gone back to do any since them. I'm sure that when I start to run low on gold, I will go back. I seem to be hovering around 3500g right now.

I ... quite hate you... lol

I still don't have dual specs, and seem to hover between 800-1100g ... Think it might be time for me to mess around with the AH hardcore.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby cerwillis » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:56 am

I started working for reals on my DK just as the badge changes came into effect, and i spent all of my EoH on epic gems. I used stonekeepers shards (which I had almost 1k of just on my pally) to get the pvp shoulders. Possibly not ideal, but the xp bonus is really all you're after.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby guillex » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:00 am

cerwillis wrote:I started working for reals on my DK just as the badge changes came into effect, and i spent all of my EoH on epic gems. I used stonekeepers shards (which I had almost 1k of just on my pally) to get the pvp shoulders. Possibly not ideal, but the xp bonus is really all you're after.

I've gotten the pvp shoulders, and changed 40 EoC down to EoH for the chestpiece. I'd love to have 5 pieces (shoulders/chest/staff/2x trinket) that I don't have to worry about upgrading until later on in the game.

I'll probably end up just getting them as I go along, but it's still something really nice to have. Or maybe I'll get another set for a warrior or something.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes