[Death Knight-DPS] LF advice

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Death Knight-DPS] LF advice

Postby Magnusharkov » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:14 am

I was hoping someone would be able to give me a hand with helping out one of our trial DKs, as I know very little about them. Basically we have a nice guy who we are trying to help gear up but so far I think there's room for improvement in his DPS.

Here's a parse of a recent 25 man XT hard kill. 4.7k DPS over 9 mins

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/RY1A ... 511&e=4076

And here's an armoury link http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... er&n=Cabra

Now I know from looking at his armoury that he needs to find himself some new boots and needs more hit, but mostly everything is in its right place from what I can tell. I get a hunch that although his gear needs improving that he isn't playing to its full potential right now, but I don't know what to suggest to help out. If anyone has the time to make any suggestions then I would appreciate it.

I know that dual wield frost is a very competitive DPS spec atm, would it make sense to push him to swap to this or would you need a ton more hit gear before it was worthwile.
Last edited by Magnusharkov on Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Magnusharkov

Re: LF DK dps advice

Postby guillex » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:22 am

Levantine will be able to give you a full synopsis of what's going on with his gear... I'd also be interested in if his rotation is being properly executed or not. That can make a decent difference in dps also.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby amh » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:03 am

There is something weird about that log. He should have fired off lots more death coils than that. 20 coils compared to 88 heart strikes sounds like his only coils were from Sudden Doom, which is weird. For comparison: http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat/de ... #damageout

Which weapon is he using? The one he's currently equipping (crafted with stoneskin gargoyle) is very limiting to his dps, so I hope he's got something better. Which he should, since better stuff is easy to farm.

His spec is decent, but he should consider moving one point from Epidemic into Morbidity, and swapping his Dark Death into Disease (assuming he's using Virulence).

More information:
http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t61176-bloo ... dps_guide/

EJ wrote:Rolling Diseases

I'd like to expand this further, so I welcome some more comments. Now that the glyph of disease has been fixed and that disease damage has been increased in 3.2 modifying your rotation to allowing rolling diseases can provide a solid boost to your dps boost. The theory here is that if you can apply your diseases when you have procs up (Greatness, FC, etc.) the disease damage will be higher, and using glyph of disease you can keep them applied at this higher rate, the longer you can maintain them the higher the overall dps increase.

Since you will typically get a Greatness/FC proc at the beginning of a fight, one solution would be to modify your open rotation to start with DS, and then apply your diseases with the procs up. Since it is currently correct to apply diseases with your DRW up, you would want to try to roll your diseases until the first time you DRW, at which time you would use Hysteria in conjunction with your procs. This would be the level at which you would want to maintain your diseases for the rest of the fight.

There's also a how-to dancing rune weapon paragraph he should take a look at.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:27 pm

Rolling Diseases is one of those things that needs to be done right to stop you LOSING dps, as well as have a fight that somewhat favors it. I prefer not to, myself, and I'd suggest working out some of the other kinks with this guy before showing him that.

OH GOD AP/STAM GEMS. KILL THEM. KILL THEM DEAD.

Hmm, very very very low Death Coil damage. It may be that because of his low Hit and Expertise he's running into a situation where he's GCD locked from misses. Could also be a latency thing. Spending Runes > Spending RP for Blood, IIRC, so he may or may not be doing the right thing.
Levantine

Postby Magnusharkov » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:43 am

Thanks for the tips guys, I will talk to him about death coil use. For reference he's using an Edge of Ruin with a Rune of the fallen crusader.
Magnusharkov

Postby amh » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:29 am

Tell him that using prismatic gems in prismatic slots is bad :)

(belt)
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes