[Warlock] Q

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Warlock] Q

Postby actionj » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:38 am

i have been slowly leveling a warlock curently 77 afliction and was looking for input as to preferance for raiding speck. i am already dual specked with destro for instance runs but i was wanting to know if there was realy any raid utility that any particular build brought to the raid other than summoning stones and soul wells

thanks
actionj

Re: Warlock Q

Postby Jedah » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:35 am

Demo gives +spell dmg coefficient to raid

Destro gives curse of elements (13% spell dmg) without losing personal DPS, and Replenishment with nerfing your DPS.

Affliction brings.... nothing?
Jedah

Postby Argali » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:04 pm

Affliction warlocks bring 5% spell crit, which comes from the talent Improved Shadowbolt, as they use Shadowbolt as their filler spell, whereas demo and dest use incinerate.
Argali

Postby Corpsicle » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:03 pm

Destruction is the current high dps spec, with affliction only really on a par in specific fights. Demo is good as a buff to the raid, after a certain gear threshold or in the absence of an elemental shaman.

I went ahead and dual specced my lock affliction (offspec) and destruction (mainspec). My destruction build is a typical 0-13-58 build that picks up replenishment. I would suggest if you go destruction at first to start with a 3-13-55 build that takes suppression in affliction until you are up to par hit wise with only hit from gear. A good consideration while gearing up initially is that in pugs, you may well be stuck with crappy healers and an affliction off spec you can swap into will sometimes mean the difference between living and dying, especially in an instance like Heroic trial of the champion (five man).

edit: also, go check out the warlocks den. It is sort of the maintankadin for locks:

http://wowmb.net/
Corpsicle

Postby katraya » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:35 pm

Corpsicle wrote:

edit: also, go check out the warlocks den. It is sort of the maintankadin for locks:

http://wowmb.net/

So depressed by the current state of that website. It used to be awesome but it has gone steadily downhill since Wrath and ever since Akasha left it has become an absolute cesspit.

I am sure you can still find so good info there if you look hard enough though.
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Corpsicle » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:51 pm

I mostly used the guide info posted at the warlock den as a baseline for what to look for when hitting 80 - gear, talents, rotations and that sort of thing. As of about 2 months ago, when used strictly in that fashion, it was still quite valuable. I haven't done much looking through it for anything else lately though - to be honest a destro lock almost plays itself and doesn't take up that much mental space after the initial gear path planning.

Rotation:

Curse > Immolate > Chaos Bolt = Conflagrate > Incinerate x as many as possible

Corruption when on the move.
CoE > CoD > CoA Base choice on what debuffs are available in your raid and on whether or not the boss will live long enough for CoD to tick.

Chaos Bolt should technically follow Conflagrate, but with my lag it often works better to do immolate and start trying to cast a Chaos bolt during the lag time where my side thinks I'm casting but the server knows better. The way the server works, I can get a Chaos Bolt off or I can wait a second and Conflagrate, then Chaos Bolt. Vary this based on your personal lag.

And that is pretty much it. Once settling that out and figuring out gear path, I haven't really had to go anywhere for lock info in the same fashion I do for tank info.
Corpsicle

Postby actionj » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:09 am

thanks for the info i havent been able to get on to warlocks den at work but i will take a look there tonight when i get home. :wink: i gess i will have to learm more when i ding 80 and get to take him to guild raid when im not having to main tank :lol:
actionj

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes