[Shaman - PvE] Where should my DPS be at?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Shaman - PvE] Where should my DPS be at?

Postby Drexanna » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:38 am

So, last night I was killing the Brewfest boss, after the 5 kills someone spammed Party Chat with Recount. I was last as I expected (in a pretty well geared group of 80s, and I am only level 78), but it got me thinking - what sort of DPS should I be putting out at this level? Am I ontrack for not being useless at 80?

On Recount, I ended up putting out just over 1200dps - is this acceptable for a 78 in mostly greens?

My rotation is something like:

Flame Shock
Lava Burst
Lightning bolt until LvB is back up.
Keep Flame shock up all the time.

Am I missing anything?

Can't link to armory, but my Shaman is Eilandri on EU Bloodhoof.

cheers
Drexanna

Re: [Shaman - PvE] Where should my DPS be at?

Postby Jedah » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:50 am

your rotation looks mostly correct, the only thing is i know you're supposed to weave in a chain lightning in order to get 3 casts off (depends on your haste) between each Lava Burst. It shouldn't be a groundbreaking difference, though.

About your DPS - that's subjective. If you're making smart gear choices (sometimes hard to do at lv 78 in greens) and using a proper rotation, then your DPS should be concurrent with your gear which means your DPS is fine.
Jedah

Postby Pizbit » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:11 pm

CL isn't really worth the hassle of slipping in on a single target fight. LB scales better and CL is a marginal increase at best.
It's just as you've been doing, FS on target, glyph it, LvB and LB as filler. Never, ever, stop casting unless you have to move. You can actually let FS fade as long as you'll still be able to refresh it before LvB comes off cooldown - in fact since it can crit you'll probably want to let the final tick always get off before refreshing if possible.

Get hit capped, stack SP and some crit, then start on the haste. SP is huge for elemental shamans, the co-efficent on a fully talented LvB is crazy.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Levantine » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:45 pm

Pizbit wrote:CL isn't really worth the hassle of slipping in on a single target fight. LB scales better and CL is a marginal increase at best.

This information is outdated.

Currently it's best to use CL on cooldown, but completely unsustainable unless you're gearing for mp5, which is stupid. Using it after each Lava Burst is acceptable, and totally sustainable since you're guaranteed to have Clearcasting.
Levantine

Postby TonicTank » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:49 pm

Make sure you glyph your Lava Burts, Glyph of Lava I believe, so they don't consume your Flame Shocks. That is an extra Lava Burst, 2 extra Chain Lightnings, and 3 extra Lightning Bolts you should be able to squeeze out without having to refresh Flame Shock on your target.

I don't want to give you old information so if this has changed in the past couple of patches let me know. My shaman's elemental set has been in my bank since Ulduar came out. :lol:
TonicTank

Postby Levantine » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:21 pm

TonicTank wrote:Make sure you glyph your Lava Burts, Glyph of Lava I believe, so they don't consume your Flame Shocks. That is an extra Lava Burst, 2 extra Chain Lightnings, and 3 extra Lightning Bolts you should be able to squeeze out without having to refresh Flame Shock on your target.

Wrong. 3.2.2 Made it so that Lava Burst no longer consumes the Flame Shock debuff when it hits, and the Glyph of Flame Shock (which was the glyph to prevent this consumption, not Glyph of Lava as you said) was changed to allow the DoT portion of Flame Shock to be capable of critical strikes (like the Shaman 2pt8).

Currently I believe the Elemental glyphs are Lightning Bolt, Totem of Wrath and Flame Shock/Lava. The third choice depends on whether you're using 2pt8 or not. In BiS gear I believe Glyph of Lava finally scales up to a point to be worth more DPS than the static ToW glyph.
Levantine

Postby TonicTank » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:31 pm

Levantine wrote:
TonicTank wrote:Make sure you glyph your Lava Burts, Glyph of Lava I believe, so they don't consume your Flame Shocks. That is an extra Lava Burst, 2 extra Chain Lightnings, and 3 extra Lightning Bolts you should be able to squeeze out without having to refresh Flame Shock on your target.

Wrong. 3.2.2 Made it so that Lava Burst no longer consumes the Flame Shock debuff when it hits, and the Glyph of Flame Shock (which was the glyph to prevent this consumption, not Glyph of Lava as you said) was changed to allow the DoT portion of Flame Shock to be capable of critical strikes (like the Shaman 2pt8).

Currently I believe the Elemental glyphs are Lightning Bolt, Totem of Wrath and Flame Shock/Lava. The third choice depends on whether you're using 2pt8 or not. In BiS gear I believe Glyph of Lava finally scales up to a point to be worth more DPS than the static ToW glyph.

Thanks for the corrections Lev. I don't understand why they made Elemental so face-roll. I mean come on, as long as you have 6 keybinds you can easily pull 4k dps in the new heroic/badge gear.

I guess that's why my shaman is Enhancement and Restoration.
TonicTank

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes