[Ret] Gearing in t9 (no heroic-25 gear)

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Ret] Gearing in t9 (no heroic-25 gear)

Postby Modal » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:57 pm

Here's my situation: I'm in a casual raiding guild with a small, more hardcore component. We have cleared ToC25 and ToC10-heroic (got Tribute to Skill, no cloaks yet but soon), but we are unlikely to ever make much progress in ToC25-heroic. I finally got my first trophy last night. I'm trying to figure out a gearing plan given those restrictions (also Ret is my offspec but tends to be what I run as in hard mode 10s, so I'm more likely to get gear from there than in regular mode 25).

Here's my armory, currently showing ret gear. I've gotten several good upgrades recently, such as Legplates of the Silver Hand, Girdle of the Impaler, and Armguards of the Nether Lord. Rawr says those should increase my dps, but I'm unhappy because I've lost a ton of expertise and exchanged it for armor penetration. I'm down to 14 expertise now, including SoV glyph. I'm also having a hard time seeing how not to overcap myself on hit; I need to get some non-hit rings to drop someday.

I think I want 2pc t9 but not 4pc (which is so weak as to be nearly negligible). Now I've already got level 245 pieces in the leg and shoulder slots (and the shoulder piece is comparable to the set piece exclusive of set bonuses). But legs have expertise, which I need, and would be an immediate upgrade, if a small one. Alternatively, I could hold out for expertise on boots, wrists, and waist from 25 regular. But those pieces will be hard to get, and I already have high level pieces in two of those slots. Then again, perhaps in the long run it will lead to a better set.

The head piece is attractive, but Faceplate of the Silver Champion seems very accessible and is probably a slight upgrade (exclusive of set bonuses) over the trophy set head piece. So I don't think I want to get that one.

Gloves might make sense eventually but right now the hit is useless and I don't want to lose even more expertise. Plus, there are also accessible offset gloves that are comparable! And the set chest has armor pen and overall appears to be the weakest piece.

So my immediate question is: which set piece makes the most sense right now? But of course, this is not separable from the question of what an optimal ret gear set looks like (for a draenei) in the current tier of content, excluding heroic-25 gear. Anyone have an opinion about either question?

TLDR: sorry to spend so much time talking about my specific situation; I know that's not necessarily going to interest many people. The main question is the one immediately above--what's an optimal ret gear set look like excluding heroic-25 gear?
Modal

Re: [Ret] Gearing in t9 (no heroic-25 gear)

Postby Baelor » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:00 pm

Modal wrote:TLDR: sorry to spend so much time talking about my specific situation; I know that's not necessarily going to interest many people. The main question is the one immediately above--what's an optimal ret gear set look like excluding heroic-25 gear?

http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t69627-ret_ ... 2_edition/
See "Blood Elf/Alliance 25 Normal Mode (no Ulduar Hard Mode) + Plate Priority"
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Modal » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:11 pm

It looks to me like that list does not include iLevel 245 gear from ToC10-heroic. Why wouldn't Gormok's Band w/ dual strength gems would be better, to pick just one example, than Band of the Violent Temperament.

Or it would be better to use the heroic-10 tribute axe (which has hit) and replace some hit items, like the ring and/or cloak, with non-hit pieces. And the bracers I'm wearing are slightly superior to the crafted ones, if only because they have a red socket (so you more-or-less trade 6 crit rating for 4 strength and a little arpen).

So it doesn't really speak to my situation.
Modal

Postby Modal » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:09 pm

Ok, so, I decided to ask the Rawr Optimizer this question. I had it use only Plate items, but Ring/Neck/Cloak etc. was ok to use AP rather than Strength gear. Here's what it told me, in anyone else is interested.

Draenei Retribution Paladin BiS list, including hard mode 10s and regular mode 25s
Head: Turalyon's Helm of Triumph
Neck: Collar of Ceaseless Torment
Shoulder: Turalyon's Shoulderplates of Triumph
Back: Cloak of the Silver Covenant
Chest: Turalyon's Battleplate of Triumph
Wrist: Armguards of the Nether Lord
Hands: Gauntlets of Rising Anger
Waist: Girdle of the Impaler
Legs: Turalyon's Legplates of Triumph
Feet: Greaves of the 7th Legion
Ring1: Ring of Callous Aggression
Ring2: Planestalker Signet
Trinket1: Darkmoon Card: Greatness
Trinket2: Death's Verdict
Weapon: Lothar's Edge
Libram: Libram of Valiance

Theoretical DPS: 8410

Edit: That's lower theoretical dps than the number quoted for the set linked above, but I suspect that's because of different settings in Rawr. For example, I have mine set to 90% consecrate effectiveness rather than 100%. And I guess I didn't have bloodlust checked.
Modal

Postby Baelor » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:56 am

You're right, frmorrison's list doesn't include heroic ToC-10 items, as it is assuming that the user cannot complete hard modes at all, neither 10 nor 25-man.

Here's what you do.

1. Take the set that is shown in the list I linked.
2. Set your Rawr's settings identically to the ones frmorrison uses.
3. Check the heroic ToC-10 items you wish to evaluate as available for the optimizer, along with all of the normal ToC-25 items.
4. Choose the gem scheme that you would use.
5. Pump the thoroughness of the Optimizer up.
6. Optimize.

What you did above looks fine. Go with that.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Modal » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:38 am

The problem with these BiS lists though is that they fail to take into account stuff like gear availability. And often you can sub in a lower rated item for a loss of only a couple dps points.

And for example, I think I will probably spend two trophies max on my ret set. There's unfortunately no way to tell Rawr to optimize for 2pc t9 only. I guess I'll just have to play around with it and see what I can come up with manually.

I might post some more lists here under different conditions (including leather + mail, using only Strength cloak/neck/ring, etc.) in case anyone else cares what BiS looks like for someone in my position.
Modal

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes