[Ret-PvE] Retri dps isses (a.k.a. help me be better)

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: Retri dps isses

Postby Apollya » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:48 am

Jedah wrote:TL;DR advice:

Priority = CS > HoW > J > DS > Exo > Cons (last 2 are interchangable IIRC)
Use SoR on trash (SoC in 3.2.2) and SoV on bosses
Get hit capped (8%), expertise cap nice but not nearly as important
Gem STR
Maximize your time on target
Don't forget to use wings

Well I actually spend a lot of time on raids as DPS in off-spec. I had a serious DPS problem myself just after 3.2 hit and I had to do a lot of reading, chatting and modifications to my gear, gemming and Rotations to bring it back to an acceptable level (considering off-spec gear and having to wait for offspec rolls on loot)

From What I've read the priority has changed a little.
HoW > CS > J > DS > Exo > Cons.

I personally setup my cast bar in order with all it's keybinds so you can easily see which you should be prioritising and then hit the right bind to use it.

Gemming for me was seriously important. I changed my meta gem and re-gemmed everything to fit in with it. And this gave me the most effective dps boost.

You want to use the Relentless Earthsiege Diamand and then gem only for Str except 1 Nightmare Tear which will make the meta active. Place the nightmare tear in a slot where you can get the socket bonus and where the socket bonus is most powerful a high Str socket bonus is preferable.

Otherwise the 8% hit is a must (you want to hover around the 300Hit mark - Less with Space Goats)
Getting to the 26 Exp soft cap (Including Glyph of Seal of Vengeance) is highly adviseable but as others say not required.

Grind Daily Heroic and Grab Libram of Valiance. With this libram ignore information above about using SoR/SoComm on trash and only use SoV.

As a good Starter weapon grind ToC Heroic for the Axe and enchant with Beserking.
Buy Darkmoon Card: Greatness (Strength one) as soon as possible it's incredibly powerful. Nobles Deck iirc.

Enchants and gems should always be the best quality available.

I checked your spec and all looks ok, but there is some debate about SoComm, personally I don't spec for SoComm or BoM at all since there is always another retri on raids with BoM and SoComm i never use.So you can perhaps free up a talent or few to place elsewhere.

Don't under-estimate the power of Divine Sacrifice / Divine Guardian for a raiding retri, however taking it can nerf you a little in terms of dps (but imho it more than makes up for it in boosting raid survival on those hairy moments).

Also Speccing 5/5 Divinity can help increase the usefullness of your JoL, but again not needed if you are not the pala judging light.

Oh lastly wings (Avenging Wrath) use it wisely, wait for 5 full stacks of vengeance (takes about 14secs) and preferably Greatness proc before popping it and going all out. On raids we have our bloodlust timed to ensure we always have the 5 full stacks before they fire it off.
Apollya

Postby Shoju » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:55 am

Apollya wrote:Well I actually spend a lot of time on raids as DPS in off-spec. I had a serious DPS problem myself just after 3.2 hit and I had to do a lot of reading, chatting and modifications to my gear, gemming and Rotations to bring it back to an acceptable level (considering off-spec gear and having to wait for offspec rolls on loot)

From What I've read the priority has changed a little.
HoW > CS > J > DS > Exo > Cons.

This works until you hit 2pc Tier 9. Once you reach 2pc T9, you will go HoW > J > CS > DS > Exo > Cons

Gemming for me was seriously important. I changed my meta gem and re-gemmed everything to fit in with it. And this gave me the most effective dps boost.

You want to use the Relentless Earthsiege Diamand and then gem only for Str except 1 Nightmare Tear which will make the meta active. Place the nightmare tear in a slot where you can get the socket bonus and where the socket bonus is most powerful a high Str socket bonus is preferable.

This is also partially correct. There are certain pieces of gear that have yellow sockets and the socket bonus is +Str or +Crit. If the +STR socket bonus is >=6, you will want to gem 10str/10Crit. the 10crit from the gem is worth more DPS than the ~9ap from ignoring the socket bonus. I want to say that if the bonus is crit that it needs to be >=8 Crit Rating for the 10str/10crit gem, but I could be a little off on that number.

Otherwise the 8% hit is a must (you want to hover around the 300Hit mark - Less with Space Goats)

NO. 263 Hit rating is cap. Don't hover around 300 if you can help it.

Getting to the 26 Exp soft cap (Including Glyph of Seal of Vengeance) is highly adviseable but as others say not required.

You want your expertise to be >20. I have 18 Expertise no glyph, and use the glyph because it's a larger DPS increase than using the glyph of Exo.

Grind Daily Heroic and Grab Libram of Valiance. With this libram ignore information above about using SoR/SoComm on trash and only use SoV.

Again, NO. Even with the Libram of Valiance equipped, you will do more DPS by using the appropriate seal (Socom/Sor) on Trash.

Don't under-estimate the power of Divine Sacrifice / Divine Guardian for a raiding retri, however taking it can nerf you a little in terms of dps (but imho it more than makes up for it in boosting raid survival on those hairy moments).

Also take a look into going 11 points in Holy for Aura Mastery. It's off the GCD, and in some cases it is easier/better than Dac/DS.

Also Speccing 5/5 Divinity can help increase the usefullness of your JoL, but again not needed if you are not the pala judging light.

Divinity does not affect the healing output of your Judgement of Light on anyone but yourself.
Shoju

Postby Kelaan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:17 am

Shoju wrote:Once you reach 2pc T9, you will go HoW > J > CS > DS > Exo > Cons

Elaborating, since I didn't understand why:

2xT9 = RV's effect can crit. Since Judgement's RV effect is larger than CS's, you want to prioritize that. Right?
Kelaan

Re: [Ret-PvE] Retri dps isses (a.k.a. help me be better)

Postby Shoju » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:19 am

That is correct.
Shoju

Postby fiorina » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:31 pm

Just quick and stupid question, maybe it has been answered, so sorry.

Is it possible to ninja swap Gladiator libram while Corruption is ticking and you got Str proc from tick? Then theoretically you can swap gladiator for guaranteed 172AP buff? You should be able to keep both buffs up. Maybe to do this just before wings or while under effect of some +dmg/haste buff.
Does it worth lose of 2xGCD and swing reset?
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby rodos » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:05 pm

fiorina wrote:Just quick and stupid question, maybe it has been answered, so sorry.

Is it possible to ninja swap Gladiator libram while Corruption is ticking and you got Str proc from tick? Then theoretically you can swap gladiator for guaranteed 172AP buff? You should be able to keep both buffs up. Maybe to do this just before wings or while under effect of some +dmg/haste buff.
Does it worth lose of 2xGCD and swing reset?

I believe they patched it in 3.2.2 so that that the buff from the new libram overwrites the old.

Even if it doesn't, I don't think it could possibly be worth the GCD loss.
rodos

Previous

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes