[Ret-PvE] Retri dps isses (a.k.a. help me be better)

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Ret-PvE] Retri dps isses (a.k.a. help me be better)

Postby Medvih2 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:00 am

I tagged the thread title and added a little personal flare to it. Read the off-spec forum guidelines for the part about topic tagging. -Baelor

I'm having some issues with my dps in raids and instances, my rotation is pretty good, though i was wondering if its gear depended? I'm really not that well geared at the moment, far from BiS. some heroric gear. I'm just wondering if thats so. i pull some 2k dps. now, i would like to increase it!

Played on The Maelstrom since launch!
Medvih2

Re: Retri dps isses

Postby Jedah » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:34 am

TL;DR advice:

Priority = CS > HoW > J > DS > Exo > Cons (last 2 are interchangable IIRC)
Use SoR on trash (SoC in 3.2.2) and SoV on bosses
Get hit capped (8%), expertise cap nice but not nearly as important
Gem STR
Maximize your time on target
Don't forget to use wings
Jedah

Postby Shoju » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:31 am

Ok, thankfully, I caught you in your ret gear on the armory. Don't take what I'm saying as me bashing you, sometimes it comes off that way when I talk about gear. I'm not bashing. I'm giving you a guide, a checklist. These are things that you should work on, probably close to in this order.

1.) Your hit is absolutely Abysmal. I know for ally you don't need as much because of all the goats running around, But it's still around 220 something. 148 is KILLING your DPS.
2.) DO NOT Gem for Attack Power.
3.) DO NOT Gem for haste.
4.) Get a new meta.
--------------
2,3,and 4 can be fixed like this: If you are only using blue quality gems because it is offspec ( I do the same with my heal gear) get a

21 agi 3% increased crit damage meta
get a 6stats gem. This is called an enchanted tear. It takes 1 siren's tear and some infinite dust. It is better than the blue quality str/stam gem for dps. I promise. By using that gem, you will allow yourself to gem str in any socket that doesn't have a great socket bonus. That belt does not have a 'great' socket bonus.
--------------
5.) Unless you are pvping, regem boots for str.
6.) Re-Glyph: SoV, Judgement, Consecration.
7.) Enchant your weapon. Even if it is just 85 AP, Enchant it. ('zerking *should* be cheap on your server if people are swimming in crystals the way most servers are)
8.)Enchant your chest. 8 stats is fine for offspec/non 226 gear.
9.) Enchant your cloak
10.) Knights of the Ebon Blade... Get to Revered.
11.) Sons of Hodir.... Get to honored.
12.) Go to Grizzly Hills, do some dailies in the PVP area, get the ret libram from there. It's better than not having a ret libram, and you can do it in an hour or so.
13.) Look at getting better jewelry and trinkets.

Rings: Titanium Impact Band,
Uruka's Band of Zeal (ToC Norm)
Hemorrhaging Circle (H:Gun)
are easy to get rings

Trinkets:
Sphere of Red Dragon's Blood
Mirror of Truth
DMC:Death
Incisor Fragment

Are all pretty easy trinkets to get.

2K Dps in your gear sounds about right currently. The above will help you get better.

Once you get to this point, then you can work on things like Expertise.
Shoju

Postby Medvih2 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:16 pm

Thanks alot poster 1 @ 2 :)

Played on The Maelstrom since launch!
Medvih2

Postby Khayne » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:10 pm

As there was a thread with similar issue:

Anyone here able to estimate how much dps should i be able to pump out in the spec&gear i got on me atm?
I'm somehow feeling i should be able to pump out more than i do now, and that our rets should be able to do more than they do.

I know some of the glyphing and talenting aren't really the best for dps, but as my off-spec it's kind of aiming to work also somewhat for pvp where i use some parts of my pve gear (need the dps if i want to get healers down, wtb 232+ wpn). Strongly considering trying SoV even for pvp though as i seem to be able to stick on targets reasonably well these days so Glyph might be changing there for better direction.

And If i'd juggle glyphs between pve and pvp, how much dps gain is the concecration over exorcism glyph?

Been using HoW>CS>Judge>DS>Cons>Exo as my priorities, blowing wings right after i get my SoV stack up if no other reason (heart phase or something).
Khayne

Postby Sagedin » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:30 am

Khayne wrote:Anyone here able to estimate how much dps should i be able to pump out in the spec&gear i got on me atm?
I'm somehow feeling i should be able to pump out more than i do now, and that our rets should be able to do more than they do.

According to Rawr your maximum theoretical dps on a 5 min patchwork like fight with all raid buffs is ~6.1k. But seeing as such fights don't really exist (closest thing is algalon i suppose) you might be better off looking at target dummy dps.

On a boss dummy (lvl 83) using vengeance and with only imp might as a buff your maximum theoretical dps over a 5 min fight would be ~3.8k dps. Take into account latency and related cooldown clashes and the use of Divine Plea and you should be doing over 3k on the dummy.
Sagedin

Postby Shoju » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:35 am

Khayne wrote:As there was a thread with similar issue:

Anyone here able to estimate how much dps should i be able to pump out in the spec&gear i got on me atm?

I know some of the glyphing and talenting aren't really the best for dps, but as my off-spec it's kind of aiming to work also somewhat for pvp where i use some parts of my pve gear (need the dps if i want to get healers down, wtb 232+ wpn). Strongly considering trying SoV even for pvp though as i seem to be able to stick on targets reasonably well these days so Glyph might be changing there for better direction.

And If i'd juggle glyphs between pve and pvp, how much dps gain is the concecration over exorcism glyph?

Been using HoW>CS>Judge>DS>Cons>Exo as my priorities, blowing wings right after i get my SoV stack up if no other reason (heart phase or something).

Consecration isn't really a....... DPS glyph. It's a quality of life glyph IMO. because it ticks for 2 seconds longer, you have more mana you don't have it tripping over your other cooldowns. I'm sure it can be mathed into a DPS increase because of the mana savings + longer uptime, but I have always looked at it from the "I need this to have mana" perspective.

And yes. I see 6.1 and 3.8

If you do 33-3500 on a dummy, and 5500+ on Patch, you are doing it right.
Shoju

Postby Kiorken » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:41 am

There is an addon I use/used whenever I decide my offspec needs to be ret. That addon is called Serious Help In Timing. It gives you a big display, and based on what you set your priority spells to be, it will give you the best option for DPS based on priority, and what is on cd. It makes recommendations to use Avenging Wrath, and notifies you to use Divine Plea when your mana gets low. Its fairly customizable, and easy to use.

Other than that, until you are 8% hit capped, gem and enchant hit, its your most prioritized stat before cap. After that, STR, STR, STR. Use BoM on yourself, and don't worry too much about ArPen when you see it, you want hit and STR more than anything. After that, start to look for DPS plate pieces that have expertise.

Playing very casually....for now.
Kiorken

Postby Khayne » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:50 am

Have actually had a problem with the hit, can't seem to shed it off from being overcapped (previously also had problem with tons of ArP on gear, but the crit&strenght on them made them upgrades regardless). Working currently on trying to get that expertise up abit, and as it was "cheap" (4k gold) i bought nobles deck today so will have a 2nd real dps trinket once faire comes around next time.

Also changed the SoV glyph on and seemed to clock at 3,4k dps for 5 mins that i tested on dummy after that with BoM&SoV. Guess i just expected i could get closer to 4k with this set, prob. had slightly inflated expectations thanks to people allways overinflating their own dps in general and comparing my gear to theirs.

Now if only i could somehow make a raid without plate dps in it so i can get a weapon upgrade or learn to do pvp good enough to get one from there :P .
Khayne

Postby Kelaan » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:03 am

Shoju wrote:Consecration isn't really a....... DPS glyph. It's a quality of life glyph IMO. because it ticks for 2 seconds longer, you have more mana you don't have it tripping over your other cooldowns.

The lack of cooldown conflicts (or, reduced ones) lets you get the other higher priority stuff in, while still having Cons ticking. It seemed to help me a lot. It's also great for mana, as you mentioned. I find myself using exorcism very rarely: rarely do I have exo on CD when something else isn't higher priority, so I exo about every 30 seconds, it seems.
Kelaan

Postby Kelaan » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:04 am

Also, SOV glyph's free expertise is VERY valuable, and a substantial dps increase.
Kelaan

Postby Khayne » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:29 pm

Yeah, i'm aware of SoV glyph power and i do now even have it. Problem is we're at same time talking about my pvp spec :D

it's also the reason i'm not glyphing for concecration and opt for exorcism instead (more burst).
Khayne

Postby Shoju » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:00 pm

Khayne wrote:Yeah, i'm aware of SoV glyph power and i do now even have it. Problem is we're at same time talking about my pvp spec :D

it's also the reason i'm not glyphing for concecration and opt for exorcism instead (more burst).

Just keep in mind if you are trying to PVE and PVP in the same spec, it's probably not going to work too well.
Shoju

Re: [Ret-PvE] Retri dps isses (a.k.a. help me be better)

Postby Khayne » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:50 am

Well pve ret-wise i'm not missing anything except raid utility (No divine sacrifice nor aura mastery), i got every dps increasing talent as far as i know.
pvp wise, imp. hoj, guardian's favor and toughness is what i dont got.

In essense, main problem is needing SotP for pve, and HoJ for pvp. I took SotP.

Neither really breaks me apart more than not being good enough :)
Khayne

Postby Andurin » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:30 am

Kiorken wrote:There is an addon I use/used whenever I decide my offspec needs to be ret. That addon is called Serious Help In Timing. It gives you a big display, and based on what you set your priority spells to be, it will give you the best option for DPS based on priority, and what is on cd. It makes recommendations to use Avenging Wrath, and notifies you to use Divine Plea when your mana gets low. Its fairly customizable, and easy to use.

I have looked around for a bit and it isnt supported anymore. Another version would be this one: Retriution FCFS helper (clcret) @ curse

EDIT: have yet to test it on my dworf btw, been to busy pvping at level 49 ^^
Andurin

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes